Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I dont although I almost needed it yesterday because some chow ran up on me. I cant do it because I just cant stand to have stuff with me or in my pockets. I have my phone strapped to my arm playing music loudly and keeping track of my run. I take off all my jewelry and have nothing else not even ID. I am weird I guess but I would be able to run lugging around protection I dont think.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Even when I'm a hot sweaty mess during a run, there's still the small small chance I might get laid. So yes.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    no but I want to. I am afraid of neighborhood dogs period.. also worried about bee stings LOL... guess I am a weirdo

Soooo.... you carry RAID?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

Sheesh... that sounds so BORING!

I am a woman and I regularly hike alone. I carry a SPOT personal tracker, but I don't bother with a weapon or mace. I feel completely safe.

I don't belong to a gym anymore, but I met way more weirdos there than I ever have out in the woods.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    My mother always had a way of making me paranoid about things like this, but she knew people who had been attacked running. The problem with running the same route or schedule is that you become easy to follow. I worry about having headphones in...never really thought about wild animals, but that's pretty scary too.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Always bring a condom! LOL. Actually, I run with my (big) dogs, so they are my protection!

lol
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    I got stopped by some unsavoury types once, and pretended to be a COMPLETE and UTTER psychopath...it scared the living bejeeezus out of them. I am looking forward to doing that again, but equally, hope I never have to.

This needs a little more explanation
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I carry a little key-chain alarm in case I encounter a coyote, but that is it. It`s usually the off leash dogs that are a bother when I run on near-by wooded trails, but most owners are pretty good at keeping them under control. Most.
    I sometimes run after midnight in my neighbourhood and feel totally safe.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am considering bringing pepper spray or mace with me as I venture further from home! Where can you go to buy this stuff, besides online??? Do you think Walmart or Target has it?
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My hubs bought me the most terrifying tazer! LOL! I feel completely safe when I go running now :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of Downtown Denver. I run around crackheads, prostitutes, drunks, etc on a regular basis. Usually, they mind their own business. If I'm going out at night I carry pepper spray, but I have never carried anything with me while running. Along with all the sketchballs, there are usually plenty of other people around, so I have always felt safe. The scariest thing that has happened is almost being hit by cars coming out of alleys. I think cars are the biggest threat. Hopefully, my story won't change anytime soon.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I run with my two pit bulls. Neither would hurt a fly but they look pretty tough!
  • Carlito21
    Carlito21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Condon is ok ..LOL carry mace ....... stops everything....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I *am* a weapon.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    condoms-12477.jpg
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Always bring a condom! LOL. Actually, I run with my (big) dogs, so they are my protection!

i was just thinking that, i have my phone with me always, and we dont really have any dangerous animals here
    also learn to outrun everything that could be dangerous :p
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    Yeah, I'm like 6'2 265 and have a 90lb Rott/Shep mix dog with me. I tend to not have any issues.

I have a Rottie/Shepherd mix too!!!!!!
  • Mamarrycos
    Mamarrycos Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    BOX CUTTER!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    They only thing i have to worry about in my neighborhood are the people driving way to fast and the little kids that like to throw rocks at you... (just makes you more faster...lol) I would really love to know where the parents are when these kids are playing outside by themselves. (probably around age 5 and 3) Some people are way to trusting when they live in a nice neighborhood.

Paintball gun > rock thrown from a 5 year old

Just saying =)

LOL!!
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a conceal carry permit but I don't carry. I will use whatever weapon the attacker provides me. ;) I am not worried about carrying a weapon as I am a weapon. :D Anyway, for all of you that consider carrying a pistol or a knife, you must train with it. There is an old saying I have heard for many years during my training... "You will fight how you train!" In the event of an attack, actions have to happen like breathing, with no thought or analysis. Analysis takes too much valuable time. It must flow from you like walking.

That is my .02 cents worth.