Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me, when I run it is in a relatively urban setting. Nothing more to worry about than skunks, raccoons and local pets.

As for human animals, no problems to date.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nope but I should how about I just run with the people that do?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    No, but now I'm thinking I should!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings. Yes, this means I don't have headphones in. I want to know in advance if a predator (human or animal) is going to attack me.
  • newmrswood
    newmrswood Posts: 194
    Options
    We have a cougar problem too!!! We have a mom and cub living by my house so I haven't been able to run lately but I was thinking the other day about buying some pepperspray or soemthing!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You opened this to get some very different responses... LOL too funny I am laughing.. but yes I carry pepper spray...
  • DianatheRed
    DianatheRed Posts: 41
    Options
    I have only stayed in my neighborhood when running--no issues there. However, if I were to choose to run in some area that I felt even a little unsafe, I would absolutely carry my 40 cal semi-auto with me. And I would have no trouble using it either--the world can be a scary place :(
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    No, I don't. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

^^This
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I think that is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!

I so want one!!

On another note...I dont run around like a victim and I keep an awarness of my surroundings. I do have a tazer if I go out at dark though, not that foolish :blushing:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?
  • Broncsoup
    Broncsoup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Run in a group and make sure you aren't the slowest one. :-)
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like to carry pepper spray. I have been chased by a large german sheppard, it wasn't until then I thought it may be a good idea.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, I carry a Keltec .380
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to carry pepper spray after I was bitten by a dog on the back of my thigh while running. Not fun. Had to do the whole rabies shot routine, too. Thankfully, I don't have a scar. Where I live now, I don't carry spray, but I probably should. We do have cougars around the area, although I've never seen one.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    My Golden won't offer any protection even though he's 85 pounds of solid muscle so my husband bought me pepper spray for Christmas. It's still in the package.

I run in a heavily wooded park in San Francisco and only twice have I felt the slightest bit of sketch.

Meh. I guess I'd rather risk being a victim (but stay aware and minimize my vulnerability) than live in worry about what MIGHT happen.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering bear mace. After talking with a few people, it is apparently the mother of all maces. There was an attempted rape on the trail I run on last week. Luckily, the girl got away.

Thats awful to hear- definitly get some mace!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Always bring a condom! LOL. Actually, I run with my (big) dogs, so they are my protection!

I was totally going to say that! Also, I carry one of those flash lights that have a jagged end. Headshot to the nose and a jab to the throat and I'm outta there.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm 6' 3" and over 200 pounds. If someone comes after me, they're either well-armed or stupid.

To those thinking about carrying a knife - I'd urge you to think again unless you are very good in a knife-fight, as in have some actual training with a knife and are prepared to actually kill someone with it without hesitation or remorse. Think seriously about this. If you've got someone a lot bigger than you coming after you, or an animal, you DO NOT WANT a close-in weapon where you actually have to engage with them to defend yourself.

If someone much larger than you is on the attack, threatening them with a knife will sometimes make them stop,but it puts them in the position of deciding whether or not to proceed with the attack. And you're putting yourself in a situation where, if they DO decide to proceed with the attack, your response has to be rapid and fatal, and even then may be insufficient.

Pepper spray will blind them while you are still at a little distance, disabling them and greatly increasing your chances of escaping without injury. It requires very little skill to use. The chances of injuring yourself with it are lower, and since you aren't engaging with your assailant it's less likely they'll be able to take it from you and use it against you.

Pull it, spray it, run like HELL.

And it works really well on animals as well - animals that you simply aren't going to kill before you're very badly injured.
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also try to make sure I look & act creepier than the creeper I encounter. It works!