Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I guess I'm thankful I don't live in the USA. Being Canadian I don't understand the need to carry a weapon at all, unless your intentions are bad to begin with. I also live in a urban area so there is no wildlife to fear. I have never seen a gun, other than in a holster for a cop and mase is illegal to purchase (although I have seen it once in 27 years)

I just fail to see the positive that can come from carrying a weapon. What if you can't draw your weapon quick enough, what if you miss your target, what if your target jumps you from behind, whiat if you are attacked by multiple indviduals, what if you target is able to unarm you and use the weapon against you, etc...

Animal generally don't attack unless provoked and most are smart enough to attack prey from a vulnerable position (IE: from the side or back), rendering you concealed weapon useless.

There are way too many negative outcomes to suggest carrying a concealed weapon is safe. I just think choosing a safer place to run will always be safer than the false sense of security a weapon can offer.

This is a common attitude of victims, regardless of what country you live in.

I train with my concealed weapon. The only negative I can see is not being prepared to defend myself or others regardless of the threat.

I'd rather be a Lion then a Lamb.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

OMG this little guy is so cute!!!!

Sorry completely off base there but I also live in a rural part of the UK & don't carry any protection. Pepper spray is illegal over here & I wouldn't want to carry it anyway. I don't agree with carrying weapons but that's how most people in the UK are brought up. I say most as there are a minority in cities that think otherwise! BUT I am also lucky to live in a good part. Having said that we do have a few dodgy people about, as with anywhere, so I don't run with headphones & stick to roads where there are more houses, always run facing the traffic & if it's dark stick to roads with street lights & wear a hi-vis top.

Am glad I don't have to worry about some of the stuff u guys do Inc wild animals so well done for going out still & doing ur runs & agree u probably need something to make u feel safer :flowerforyou:
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I carry a Colt Combat Commander lightweight in a fanny pack along with an extra magazine. All loaded with Wilson Combat 230 gr XTP ammo.

The gun is not my first option as I am proficient in krav maga.

My basic strategy is:
    1- outrun it and get away
    2- failing 1 then go to hand to hand
    3- if I feel option 2 is not viable for any number of reasons then its time for the pistol

I believe in escalation of force.

^^ This! Except I carry a Keltec .32 or an XD .45. Defensive tactics and Jujitsu are my first options. :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I take my pitbull with me running or walking because he looks tough.

But if it came down to it.....id probably be in trouble.

However, if you dont feel safe, don't go alone, or don't go in the dark. Carry a cell phone.
  • viki1123
    viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering bear mace. After talking with a few people, it is apparently the mother of all maces. There was an attempted rape on the trail I run on last week. Luckily, the girl got away.

Thank God she got away.

Good for you, ordering bear mace. ORDER ALL THE MACE.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have a CHL, and I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to do so. Even when I'm in my own home, my Ruger .380 LCP (I call her Black Betty) is within arm's reach, just in case someone really stupid decides to try to break in. I live in an affluent area. I don't feel unsafe. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared. The minute you drop your guard is the minute you make yourself less safe. I refuse to put my safety in someone else's hands.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My father in law carries this huge axe handle when he goes running. That's his protection, if you've ever seen a guy like him no explanation needed.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Seat belts.
    Umbrella.
    Condoms.
    Shoes.
    Sunscreen.

There are many forms of protection. It is beneficial to be prepared.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'll surprise 'em!!
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hadn't even thought about it and I set off for my runs at midnight! I have a rape alarm here at Uni... might have to start taking it with me! :tongue:
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a CHL, and I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to do so. Even when I'm in my own home, my Ruger .380 LCP (I call her Black Betty) is within arm's reach, just in case someone really stupid decides to try to break in. I live in an affluent area. I don't feel unsafe. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared. The minute you drop your guard is the minute you make yourself less safe. I refuse to put my safety in someone else's hands.

A woman and a gun....I am in love!!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I think that is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!

i agree!! i was just going to post that
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    I run with a gun, live in the country, long stretches with no houses & my husband is military-enough said
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yeah, I bring my husband.

I only sprint around the neighborhood if I'm alone. It's a pretty nice area of town with lots of kids and people walking outside so I don't have too much to worry about, but I am still very paranoid when it comes to attackers.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This is the best reply I have read yet. Thank you.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

hedgehog.jpg

but they grow up to look like this
    http://hagiblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/critters_2_01.jpg?w=640
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?

I was thinking that too, lol! I live in the 3rd safest city in the nation so no, I bring no protection and walk by myself during the day/evenings (while pregnant) and don't even think twice about it. Maybe I should though, for that .000001% chance something might happen. I DO have an extremely sharp knife that is hidden inside of a lipstick container..

Before everyone gets bent out of shape..US or UK or anywhere else..no one is 100% safe these days..doesn't matter if you are in the 3rd safest city or the worst...bad people aren't confined at city limits..
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    I live in West L.A. and I had a friend ask me this just the other day.

I don't. I lived in Vegas before and I didn't there. I have been told I should and that it would be safer for me but I stay to the nice areas around my house and don't go out at night.

I am a tall thick girl and feel if they want to attack, let's scrap.

(being the only girl in my family may have made me a little too sure of myself :drinker: )
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

but they grow up to look like this
    http://hagiblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/critters_2_01.jpg?w=640

Time to start wielding a large metal pole!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering bear mace. After talking with a few people, it is apparently the mother of all maces. There was an attempted rape on the trail I run on last week. Luckily, the girl got away.

HOLY NUTS! take a self defense class!