Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No, but I probably should carry my pepper spray at least. I have thought about running a particular trail on state game land, and have actually considered carrying my .45, but not sure....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. I just figure that since I am already running, I'd just run away if there was trouble.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I think that is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I can see his manly parts.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nope, not right now. Here in good ole Northern CA I apparently have to find and purchase CA approved pepper spray. I need to figure out where to find it at. I'd like a key chain style to go on my runner's belt. I feel pretty safe running without it but that might change if I come upon a big unfriendly dog!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I pack some steaks to distract the wolves and zombies when I'm running. When I run out of those I just run faster and hope for the best.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I run with small bottle of pepper spray that straps to your hand to make it easier. Also I run with my big lab. He might lick someone to death but they don't need to know that ;) . I mostly run at late night or early morning. Also I lived in a big city once(mistake) and someone tried run/almost attack me at night. So now when go out overprotected and moved back to small town :)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    funny responses :P

But in all seriousness, YES, i always protect myself when i'm out for a run or even in the gym at night by myself- then especially actually. I carry a heavy duty mace or a taser. I've been know to take a paring knife with me if I don't have one of those 2 things. About 3 weeks ago there was a woman about my age running in my hometown and in the broad light of day on a busy road a 22 year old guy stopped his car and tried to abduct her. She kicked hhim in the nuts, and thank goodness she got his license plate. He ended up being arrested. However, it's NOT uncommon at all to hear stories where women aren't so lucky. I recommend everyone- man or woman, but especially a woman- should have protection at all times. It sucks but it's a crazy world.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    funny responses :P

But in all seriousness, YES, i always protect myself when i'm out for a run or even in the gym at night by myself- then especially actually. I carry a heavy duty mace or a taser. I've been know to take a paring knife with me if I don't have one of those 2 things. About 3 weeks ago there was a woman about my age running in my hometown and in the broad light of day on a busy road a 22 year old guy stopped his car and tried to abduct her. She kicked hhim in the nuts, and thank goodness she got his license plate. He ended up being arrested. However, it's NOT uncommon at all to hear stories where women aren't so lucky. I recommend everyone- man or woman, but especially a woman- should have protection at all times. It sucks but it's a crazy world.

^THIS, 100%
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I run with an Ruger LCR in a Remora IWB holster. The only place that my gun doesn't go with me is into buildings where I am not allowed by law to carry it (courthouse, sheriff's office, university property).
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Having had my older Sheltie attacked not once but twice by big dogs on a walk, I now don't leave home without my pepper spray. I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings and pay attention to my dog as he'll let me know if something is up/near. The police actually recommended the pepper spray after the second incident, saying it would work well on a dog.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

You have just ruined that adorable picture for me.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't at the moment. But I plan on purchasing a good knife to carry with me. I run through some sketchy neighborhoods with some sketchy people and some even sketchier pitbulls not on chains...lol. Did I use sketcy enough? but yea, it is always a good idea because unfortunately this world is full of people that won't hesitate to hurt you.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

You have just ruined that adorable picture for me.

You're welcome. :drinker:
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm like 6'2 265 and have a 90lb Rott/Shep mix dog with me. I tend to not have any issues.
  • Karrie85
    Karrie85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this actually when I was running a trail through my neighbourhood park. There's alot of off leashed dogs in that park, and some scary looking individuals. My husband wants me to not go at night, and when I do I take my cell and he really wants me to carry his knife. I think the chances of hurting myself with the knife is more likely than having to use it.
    I just avoid eye contact, and when possible change paths when I feel unsafe. I did take martial arts and self defence when I was younger, those skills are very valuable!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

hedgehog.jpg

Such a cute picture. Even the manly parts are cute. In a way.

I carry my car keys with me. I'm sure a key to the eye or nose would give me the opening to discover just how damn fast I could run if I needed to , but I run around the university campus so I'm hopeful I'll never need it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I carry protection wherever I go; a .380 semi-auto (with concealed permit, of course).
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    First line of defense is awareness of your surroundings.
    Second, you're already running, and it's likely they won't be able to catch you.
    My third line is a big-assed knife.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.