Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a restaurant and some lunatic comes in with an M4, ready to blow everyone away, you are FAR safer if there are responsible, law-abiding, gun-carrying citizens in that restaurant than if you're in some place where the only people who are going to have guns are criminals.

See, to me that means there's more chance of a weapon being taken, more chance of an accident, more chance that someone who was just threatening and wouldn't have actually acted ending up panicking and shooting/stabbing.

Clearly it's just a UK thing, or a 'me' thing, even, but I don't think violence is ever the answer to violence, and I don't believe anyone has the right to carry on them anything that could take another life. I wouldn't feel totally safe anywhere where the people around me believed they had that right - but then, I'm a strict pacifist. As I say, it's simply my own opinion and is the reason I'd not feel safe.

I'm an Aussie and I understand where you are coming from. It seems that there is a vastly different attitude to being armed in the US (the whole "right to bear arms thing" I think) that is really hard to understand if you don't live amongst it.
    I'm very thankful that I live in a pretty safe city, people don't carry weapons here (with rare exceptions) and I don't feel the need to take any "protection" with me when I run.
    Although now I think about it, I should wear a bike helmet when I run in spring time because the magpies and willy wagtails can get pretty agressive if you run past their trees when they are nesting. But, I think I'll take my chances.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

OMG that hedgehog is adorable! We had one for about 4.5 years and I miss her so much. Annie was so special.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah its a cultural thing partly for sure.

I have a standing invitation to anyone from Europe, Australia, etc to message me is you come to NYC area and you would have time to go shooting. I love to intro people to shooting.

Oh- one more pet peeve thing... I hate when people say you shouldnt carry a weapon because they are so easily taken away from you. If they are so easy to take away then why dont the victims just take them away from the criminal? trust me it is NOT easy to take away a weapon- even from an untrained individual (and I am trained in weapon retention techniques). If you are going to try and do a take away then you must become 110% psychotic in your attack, never let go of the weapon or weapon arm, and beat/punch/kick/bite the bad guy into submission. At that point you have to want to beat them to death as you will be fighting for your life. Also expect to be shot or stabbed during the attempt but dont let go! If nothing else it would be one hell of a cardio workout.

If you cant do that then give them the money, call it good, and hope they dont take you to the second crime scene...
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    People can carry a weapon anywhere they want. It doesn't have to be legal, and that's exactly the problem. Making guns illegal isn't going to stop criminals from carrying them. Criminals LOVE gun control laws because they know such laws make it easier for them to commit crimes.

If you're eating in a restaurant and some lunatic comes in with an M4, ready to blow everyone away, you are FAR safer if there are responsible, law-abiding, gun-carrying citizens in that restaurant than if you're in some place where the only people who are going to have guns are criminals.

I live where it IS illigal gotta say NEVER had ANYONE come up with a gun!!! EVER! not even in a big city! I am glad there are no guns!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I worked out at a remote tourist camp for a year and they had airhorns to signal, or warn if some sorta nasty animal was around.
    I brought a smaller one (cell phone sized) with me when running the trails or main (logging type) road.

Never did see a bear while I ran. I was never really scared though.
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    This is my usual running gear.

simon_pegg_stars_in_edgar_wright_s_new_action_comedy_hot_fuzz.jpg
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Question to those who carry defensive weapons when they're out - do you find it really hard to go out without it now?

We can't carry anything in the UK. I was just wondering.

This is what I thought...we are stationed in the UK (husband is US military) and while I run on base where it is fairly safe I did not think we were allowed to carry things like mace, knives, tasers, etc in the UK. They have some strict laws...I do not believe the police even carry guns, I think they just started carrying tasers recently (although someone please correct me if I am wrong).

That said, I am training our dog to run with me, she is a German Shepherd and at 5 months already 50 pounds so I think she will be a rather good deterrant :)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I Dont, but i usually walk with my hubby or my neighbor. I have taken several self defense classes (after my roommate and i were both victims of attempted rape). and im a big girl.. they'd have to be pretty hard up to try anything with me.. and they would be hurting after words

Rape is more about power than sex. There are men that will rape 80 year old women, so we shouldn't assume we won't be a target because we're overweight.

^^^^ Deserves to be repeated!!!! Rape is NOT about sex, it is about exerting power over another person.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    People can carry a weapon anywhere they want. It doesn't have to be legal, and that's exactly the problem. Making guns illegal isn't going to stop criminals from carrying them. Criminals LOVE gun control laws because they know such laws make it easier for them to commit crimes.

I live where it IS illigal gotta say NEVER had ANYONE come up with a gun!!! EVER! not even in a big city! I am glad there are no guns!

And I live where it's legal to carry and have never had anyone come up to me with a gun (intending to use it), ever. Not even in a big city. What's your point?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Is it just me or do the shotguns on his back have no triggers?

And I'm a little rusty on my firearm knowledge, but isn't that a rifle in his hands? If so, where's the rest of the ammo for it, besides what's in the clip?
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Whether it is legal or not---there ARE guns.
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

And I'm a little rusty on my firearm knowledge, but isn't that a rifle in his hands? If so, where's the rest of the ammo for it, besides what's in the clip?

These are British shotguns, so they don't have triggers :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Question to those who carry defensive weapons when they're out - do you find it really hard to go out without it now?

We can't carry anything in the UK. I was just wondering.

This is what I thought...we are stationed in the UK (husband is US military) and while I run on base where it is fairly safe I did not think we were allowed to carry things like mace, knives, tasers, etc in the UK. They have some strict laws...I do not believe the police even carry guns, I think they just started carrying tasers recently (although someone please correct me if I am wrong).

That said, I am training our dog to run with me, she is a German Shepherd and at 5 months already 50 pounds so I think she will be a rather good deterrant :)

I just thought I should point out, for your dog's safety, you should not be running with her much at 5 months old, especially because of her breed (a larger breed that is practically synonymous with hip problems thanks to irresponsible breeding practices). If you have to run her at all, I would keep to grass or dirt, not pavement.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I carry bear mace I was chased by a javalina and coyote far too many times
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Another thread got me thinking. Do you carry anything when you go running to protect yourself?
    I actually just ordered 2 small (4"x1") dog sprays, basically pepper spray. We live in a small town so I'm not worried about a man attacking. However we have cougars here and I'm terrified of them.

If I were caught with pepper spray in the UK I could end up with five years inside as it is considered a firearm, I would also get arrested for carrying a knife and I won't even talk about guns........

I just stick to public areas and do not go down isolated little lanes whereby somebody could jump out at me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

These are British shotguns, so they don't have triggers :)

:laugh:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Another thread got me thinking. Do you carry anything when you go running to protect yourself?
    I actually just ordered 2 small (4"x1") dog sprays, basically pepper spray. We live in a small town so I'm not worried about a man attacking. However we have cougars here and I'm terrified of them.

If I were caught with pepper spray in the UK I could end up with five years inside as it is considered a firearm, I would also get arrested for carrying a knife and I won't even talk about guns........

I just stick to public areas and do not go down isolated little lanes whereby somebody could jump out at me.

I really don't understand that one. I mean, while I don't agree with it, I understand the thought process behind banning guns (and, to a lesser extent, knives). The odds of someone getting killed skyrocket once one is pulled out.

But basically putting mace on the same level as the other two? Really? I don't get it.
  • Di3012
    Options

I really don't understand that one. I mean, while I don't agree with it, I understand the thought process behind banning guns (and, to a lesser extent, knives). The odds of someone getting killed skyrocket once one is pulled out.

But basically putting mace on the same level as the other two? Really? I don't get it.

Mace, Pepper Spray, Knives.... all of them are illegal in the UK.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I kinda got that from the previous replies. What I don't understand is why mace/pepper spray are considered as dangerous or in need of banning as knives and firearms.
  • Di3012
    Options

I kinda got that from the previous replies. What I don't understand is why mace/pepper spray are considered as dangerous or in need of banning as knives and firearms.

Ahh sorry, I think they consider a person defending themselves to only use "reasonable force" - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean pmsl!! Reasonable force will not include mace, pepper spray, knives, machetes or guns - in their view.

Personally, if somebody were about to attack me or my family and I had a weapon to hand........ not going to say anymore lest I incriminate myself lol.