Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I plan to carry my .380 when I get cleared to have concealed carry license.

Until then, my dog will just have to work (even though she'd probly just like them to death..HA)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Nope I run on a trail/walking paths in a park in a nice area during the day. I have never even thought about it till I read this post. Of course im almost 6 ft at 185 lbs dont think I got much to worry about except when I cross the street. Anyone got anything that works against drivers who do not look in the crosswalk before they turn right?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Anyone got anything that works against drivers who dont look in the crosswalk before they turn right?

Other than clothing with metal studs (so when they hit you, as you are dying, you are at least scratching the crap out of their paint)? Nothing I can think of.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't run, but I walk. My area is pretty sketchy so I just try and stay in the well lit areas. People here are constantly getting shot (somehow always ends up in the face too...) so I definitely don't go out when its dark.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    This is how I roll.
    350x527px-LL-eda82bd7_Riding-while-heavily-armed.png

AR15Bike.jpg

Oddly enough, I have never had a problem.

Totally kidding. I do like the idea though.

This. Is. AWEsome.
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    I'd just take my bulldog and great dane with me, they don't like strangers :)
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I Dont, but i usually walk with my hubby or my neighbor. I have taken several self defense classes (after my roommate and i were both victims of attempted rape). and im a big girl.. they'd have to be pretty hard up to try anything with me.. and they would be hurting after words
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You are stereotyping the entire country. You didn't say that you'd consider more protection if you were in a more dangerous area, you specifically said that you "would undoubtedly carry something purely defensive" if you were in the US or some of the sketchier parts of the UK, and the US specifically because of our "lax gun laws and wild animals", meaning that you equated the entire US basically to the ghettos of London (or worse, maybe, because we allow guns!) or the African Serengeti. Your statements have made no concession to the fact that a) the entire country isn't like that (and hell, most of country isn't like that), and b) that many/most of our towns and cities are at least as safe as your equivalent cities and towns. You had to get that impression from somewhere, and most people get it from the media. If that's not where you got that impression, then I'm geniunely curious as to where you did, because it's so far from the truth that it's kind of sad (yes, we have large animals that you don't have, but unless you run around with meat strapped to you and are upwind of a den, the odds of running across one in the vast majority of the country are extraordinarily small).

So you're telling me that it's NOT legal to carry firearms or weapons of some description in all states? If that's the case, I take back what I said.

I also believe I HAVE said that many/most of your towns or cities are at least as safe as our equivalent towns or cities. Or at least, not said otherwise. The fact is, if I believe there's a higher than absolute minimal chance of someone carrying a weapon, whether that's in a UK town or in the US, I would want to carry something to defend myself.

In most parts of the UK, that is the case. In my neighbourhood, I would say not. In the US, again, I would consider it the case because it is legal for people to carry weapons. In fact, even in this thread it's clear that many people do. And I should clarify that I am FULLY AWARE that this thread is a tiny representation.

Likewise, I'm not saying that the risk of being attacked by a wild animal is insanely high in the US, but again it is higher than running around in the neighbourhood I currently live in. If wolves, lions and the like suddenly began appearing in the vicinity of my neighbourhood, I would again reconsider my decision to go out unprotected.

As I mentioned previously, Washington DC is the main one. Until 2007, citizens were banned from carrying handguns in the city (it was overturned as unconstitutional), and "assault weapons" are banned, as well. New York City is another one that bans civilian ownership of concealed firearms within the city limits. Additionally, most cities with liberal/Democratic political majority have at least some form of gun control. At best, such laws have had mixed results. New York's crime rate has dropped significantly (though it should also be noted that part of this is very likely to be due to the increase in police presence throughout the city and a citywide initiative to reduce crime that included far more than just gun control), while Washington DC, as I mentioned previously, has one of the highest crime rates in the country (3 times the national average). There is better correlation between per capita wealth (or lack thereof) and an area's crime rate than the presence or absence of gun control laws, though, just FYI (as evidenced by the fairly even distribution of both more liberal and more conservative cities on the lists for crime stats, as well as crime incidence distribution in any given city).

I am curious, though - why is it that your perception is that a city/state that doesn't allow citizens to carry is somehow inherently safer, which is what you seem to be implying with your statements?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am curious, though - why is it that your perception is that a city/state that doesn't allow citizens to carry is somehow inherently safer, which is what you seem to be implying with your statements?

That's not strictly what I'm implying. My point is that where it's legal to carry weapons, of any kind (I'm not just talking guns specifically), then people do. It's far more usual for people in the US to carry some form of weapon as standard, even for self-defense. That alone can be seen in this thread. Runners in the UK aren't carrying all the tools and weapons people in the US are.

The more of these weapons there are out and about, the more risk I feel I'm in. I'm not saying that a ban on all weapons makes somewhere inherently safer - you need only look at a lot of towns and cities here in England to see the levels of attacks, muggings, rapes, gun crimes, physical abuse and gang warfare - but I personally feel that comparing like for like, I would consider myself safer (however accurately) in my middle-class neighbourhood on well-lit streets popular with other runners, where I see no animals other than domestic cats and where crime is practically non-existent, than I would in the equivalent in the US knowing that people could be carrying sprays and weapons and thinking nothing of it. In my neighbourhood, I don't consider myself at risk. I know I COULD be attacked, but I consider that risk so low that I wouldn't feel the need to anticipate it and prepare myself. In a place where other people could carry weapons more freely, I would want to protect myself.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I guess I'm thankful I don't live in the USA. Being Canadian I don't understand the need to carry a weapon at all, unless your intentions are bad to begin with. I also live in a urban area so there is no wildlife to fear. I have never seen a gun, other than in a holster for a cop and mase is illegal to purchase (although I have seen it once in 27 years)

I just fail to see the positive that can come from carrying a weapon. What if you can't draw your weapon quick enough, what if you miss your target, what if your target jumps you from behind, whiat if you are attacked by multiple indviduals, what if you target is able to unarm you and use the weapon against you, etc...

Animal generally don't attack unless provoked and most are smart enough to attack prey from a vulnerable position (IE: from the side or back), rendering you concealed weapon useless.

There are way too many negative outcomes to suggest carrying a concealed weapon is safe. I just think choosing a safer place to run will always be safer than the false sense of security a weapon can offer.

This is a common attitude of victims, regardless of what country you live in.

I train with my concealed weapon. The only negative I can see is not being prepared to defend myself or others regardless of the threat.

I'd rather be a Lion then a Lamb.

From my experience and limited research, an armed populace is safer than an un-armed one.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I Dont, but i usually walk with my hubby or my neighbor. I have taken several self defense classes (after my roommate and i were both victims of attempted rape). and im a big girl.. they'd have to be pretty hard up to try anything with me.. and they would be hurting after words

Rape is more about power than sex. There are men that will rape 80 year old women, so we shouldn't assume we won't be a target because we're overweight.
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    WOW. I live in canada so no guns here. I wouldnt ever dream I would need one either! we do have animals thoe, the ones we have a hand gun will get you no where other than eatten.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

That's not strictly what I'm implying. My point is that where it's legal to carry weapons, of any kind (I'm not just talking guns specifically), then people do. It's far more usual for people in the US to carry some form of weapon as standard, even for self-defense. That alone can be seen in this thread. Runners in the UK aren't carrying all the tools and weapons people in the US are.

The more of these weapons there are out and about, the more risk I feel I'm in. I'm not saying that a ban on all weapons makes somewhere inherently safer - you need only look at a lot of towns and cities here in England to see the levels of attacks, muggings, rapes, gun crimes, physical abuse and gang warfare - but I personally feel that comparing like for like, I would consider myself safer (however accurately) in my middle-class neighbourhood on well-lit streets popular with other runners, where I see no animals other than domestic cats and where crime is practically non-existent, than I would in the equivalent in the US knowing that people could be carrying sprays and weapons and thinking nothing of it. In my neighbourhood, I don't consider myself at risk. I know I COULD be attacked, but I consider that risk so low that I wouldn't feel the need to anticipate it and prepare myself. In a place where other people could carry weapons more freely, I would want to protect myself.

See, that's what I don't entirely understand. I live, work, and workout in safe areas (actually, you pretty much described to the letter the areas I frequent), and I don't feel any less safe knowing that the people I pass may be armed with a weapon of one sort or another.

Do I carry pepper spray? Yes. I have one on my keychain and I take it everywhere. *shrug* Maybe it's just my defense-oriented martial arts training, though (since we're also trained to use just about anything, including things like keys and pens, as a weapon if it comes down to it). Personally, I'm of the opinion that I would rather have it (whether "it" is a weapon or unarmed training) and not need it than need it and not have it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    People can carry a weapon anywhere they want. It doesn't have to be legal, and that's exactly the problem. Making guns illegal isn't going to stop criminals from carrying them. Criminals LOVE gun control laws because they know such laws make it easier for them to commit crimes.

If you're eating in a restaurant and some lunatic comes in with an M4, ready to blow everyone away, you are FAR safer if there are responsible, law-abiding, gun-carrying citizens in that restaurant than if you're in some place where the only people who are going to have guns are criminals.
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    If you're eating in a restaurant and some lunatic comes in with an M4, ready to blow everyone away, you are FAR safer if there are responsible, law-abiding, gun-carrying citizens in that restaurant than if you're in some place where the only people who are going to have guns are criminals.

See, to me that means there's more chance of a weapon being taken, more chance of an accident, more chance that someone who was just threatening and wouldn't have actually acted ending up panicking and shooting/stabbing.

Clearly it's just a UK thing, or a 'me' thing, even, but I don't think violence is ever the answer to violence, and I don't believe anyone has the right to carry on them anything that could take another life. I wouldn't feel totally safe anywhere where the people around me believed they had that right - but then, I'm a strict pacifist. As I say, it's simply my own opinion and is the reason I'd not feel safe.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I live in an extremely small city (think everyone knows everyone) most of my neighbor`s are retired and home all day. I feel completely safe jogging or running in town at pretty much any hour. So nope I don`t carry anything with me other than sometimes my jogging stroller if hubby isn`t home with the kids. I`m in Northwestern PA USA
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I tend to run on the track of a local middle school so I can't take my Kel-Tec 9mm. I'm not too worried though because the track shares a parking lot with the Fire Station and a police sub-station; and I'm 5'11'', 282lbs, not the typical target...
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options

See, to me that means there's more chance of a weapon being taken, more chance of an accident, more chance that someone who was just threatening and wouldn't have actually acted ending up panicking and shooting/stabbing.

Clearly it's just a UK thing, or a 'me' thing, even, but I don't think violence is ever the answer to violence, and I don't believe anyone has the right to carry on them anything that could take another life. I wouldn't feel totally safe anywhere where the people around me believed they had that right - but then, I'm a strict pacifist. As I say, it's simply my own opinion and is the reason I'd not feel safe.

Cher, Indeed you have a right to your opinion; but realize there are lots of people around you everyday who don't care about the laws and carry weapons anyway, because in the course of their criminal day they may have to harm others. This is very different than those who chose to carry in oreder to save lives.

What makes you feel more secure around people with badges being armed, but not J.Q. Citizen? The police are just people, no better or worse on average than you. They do not have special powers of perception or exceptional hand-eye coordination. Trust me, I work with them everyday.
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    Cher, Indeed you have a right to your opinion; but realize there are lots of people around you everyday who don't care about the laws and carry weapons anyway, because in the course of their criminal day they may have to harm others. This is very different than those who chose to carry in oreder to save lives.

What makes you feel more secure around people with badges being armed, but not J.Q. Citizen? The police are just people, no better or worse on average than you. They do not have special powers of perception or exceptional hand-eye coordination. Trust me, I work with them everyday.

As I say, I live in the UK. It isn't common practice for anyone to carry a gun in this country, and law enforcement officers only do themselves in exceptional circumstances. I have only three times been in the presence of officers with guns, and two of those were in an airport with the third being on the London Underground. I didn't feel any safer in their presence than I would in the presence of anyone with a gun.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options

SOmetimes violence is the only answer to violence. To some individuals from street thugs to despotic leaders of countries violence is the only currency they understand.

I have a lot of UK friends- every single one that has come over here that I have taken shooting effuse over how they wished they had the option in England. Two have since emigrated here to the US and are ex-pats living here who now legally own and carry various "assault weapons" and handguns. And yes- if you are a legal resident alien in the US you CAN get your permit to carry and can purchase any long gun from shotguns to so-called assault rifles. The only thing they cannot get are silencers, machineguns and so on which US citizens can (and no- not everyone runs around with them- these weapons are expensive to obtain and are highly regulated with the use of such LEGAL weapons being used in crimes a total of 3 times since 1936 or so)

However, my understanding is that guns are not eradicated from UK society just highly restricted. And it didnt bring crime down- instead it exploded. Then they banned knives with the "anti-stab" knives coming on the market. And crime exploded again. I have stats comparing London to New York City-
    New York has a population of 8 million, London 7 million
    London's crime rate is about 7 times that of New York
    Police budgets are comparable
    New York has 40% more cops on the beat

The 2010 EU and UN reports on violent crime lists the UK as the country with the most violent crime rate out of all of Europe.

The British Crime Survey of 2009/2010 when distilled down lists an astonishing 2300 crimes per 100,000 indivduals for that time period (note this is ALL violent crimes). The UK violent crime rate is even higher however as the BCS will not report any crime committed by individuals under 16 - best estimate is another 11 million crimes (about 113,000 violent) are not reported is these surveys.

Our FBI Crime Statistics Report for the same period for the same violent crimes for all of the US is 470 per 100,000. When broken down by state the only one that even come close to England is Washington DC that had an outright ban and this number was 1459 per 100,000, other heavily gun controlled states had high numbers (NY 446 per 100,000, Californiw 527, Massachusettes 457, Illinois 551 while states allowing law abiding citizens to carry handguns were much lower - SOuth Dakota 175, Georgia 136, and even my state COnnecticut at 167). Criminals LOVE any sort of laws that restrict a law abiding citizens ability to protect themselves via guns, knives, mace and so on- criminals HATE places that allow such things as this means they actually run the risk of being killed...

Anyway- just pointing out that the UK is not a haven of safety but rather a predators playground. Many go there entire lives not being confronted by violent crime mostly because such crime tends to be criminal on criminal or in the areas most decent people stay away from. The choice to fight or not fight and/or to have the ability to use a weapon in your defense is in some ways a personal choice. I never fault anyone for not doing so but I also have little sympathy when such people are helpless when they are confronted by violence.

I cannot tell you how many individuals with similar thoughts have come to me to teach them to shoot and help them get their permits AFTER they were mugged, carjacked or in one case raped. It was a little late but maybe next time they will be prepared.