Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it but I need to. One day I was out running with my dog and another dog broke off her chain and I was afraid they were going to start fighting. I don't know what I would have done if they had. I started yelling at the other dog and it finally backed off.
  • velvrose
    velvrose Posts: 3
    Options
    I always take pepper spray and my cell phone. I have a wrist holder for my cell so that it doesn't fall out of my pockets and that makes it easier to carry. I listen to music so I don't hear well around me. You never know what you are going to encounter. I had a friend get chased by a homeless man and I've had dogs chase me. Always better to be prepared than the one time you aren't and wish you had brought it. You should have your phone if you get hurt or need medical help, especially if you run on back trails.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'd be afraid of the gun accidentally discharging on a good run...
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am scared reading this thread. If you need to carry a weapon to go about your normal business (and I take running to be normal business) the states is in a far worse place than I thought it was. The more people who carry weapons really increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt or killed.
    Wow, this thread is enlightening to see the attitude of the general population in America as well. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I know that this is hardly a statistical representation on America, but I am still very uncomfortable reading that knives and guns are carried routinely. I do hope that you know how to use them, and that you never have to! I could never live somewhere where I felt such measures were required.
    I live in rural uk my big problem is no street lights or pavements! I just started running and my expense was the trainers, not a gun!

You dont have to be scared of us. You neverhave to fear the legal carrier.

And DGU (defensive gun use) is relatively rare. Actual bullets fired is even rarer. I have carried for 27 years pulled twice on mugging attempts. In both cases the sight of pulling was enough to send the muggers running. Places with MORE legal guns are actually safer per FBI stats but to be fair other factors could be in play. Anecdotally though whenever a state that didnt allow citizens to carry finally did crime dropped dramatically (and the streets didnt run red with blood or people didnt shoot each other over parking spots).

The following is from a great treatise on armed robbery basics (if anyone wants a full copy message me and I'll send it):

However, probably the BEST way to protect oneself is get your eyes off your cell phone and your ears unplugged from your MP3 player. The vast majority of people who are attacked all say the same thing- "he/they came out of nowhere" No they did not- they tagged you as a sheep, circled in like the predators they are, and then attacked you. Your inability to be situationally aware meant you never picked up on the predators hunting you. Interviews with muggers and rapists have found out they are opportunistic. Average time between when they spot you and then go in for the attack is between 5-7 minutes.

A girl my brother knows was walking her dog when a guy approached her. She was polite. Mistake. He talked to her about the dog and said she had pretty hair and reached out and touched her hair. She did not slap his hand down or aggressively object. Mistake. He asked her if her dog bit and she said "No". At that time he slapped the **** out of her, drug her into a wooded area, and raped her.

The answer in the street is always "No". Can I ask you something? No. Do you have a cigarette? No. Can you tell me what time it is? No. The answer is always "No". Don't be nice. Stop the encounter as soon as it starts.

bad guys travel in packs- if you see three guys approaching you across a parking lot and they fan out then you are being stalked as they are trying to flank you. When you lock eyes with G the very first thing you need to do is indicate you have a weapon (if you atually live in an area that treats you like an adult). It doesn't matter if you do or not. If you are a woman put your gun hand in your purse and keep it there. If you are a man fan your shirt or coat tail with your gun hand. Make it clear to dude you are mentally prepared to draw and making sure your gun is clear. This will many times result in an about face by dude. It is the single best robbery avoidance tactic IMHO

And size doesnt mean anything. One time we were locking up a hold up man and having a conversation about how they target their victims. I was saying they pick easy ones, another guy was saying they preferred easy ones but would take anybody. I pointed out a uniform Officer there was an NFL size guy to that hold up man. Frankly the dude was a monster. I asked hold up man if he would rob him. He said "If I needed the money

<<<<

As for learning martial arts- thats all great but do you have the cardio AND mindset to take on 3 people simultaneously as you fight for your life? If they have a gun or knife and you attack YOU WILL be shot or stabbed. Mace, etc- pffffttt... I can squirt mace into my mouth like Binaca and still fight through it. Nothing is a wonder weapon- again your best defense is to detect the attack before it comes in and do something to mitigate it. If you do have to fight you have to go 110% psycho and want to kill them because they sure as hell will kill you - where they come from violence is the coin of the realm.

So eyes up, look around and listen to the lizard part of your brain when you start getting the feeling you are being stalked because you are.

Stay safe out there
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I always do!! No headphones and my pepper spray. Which this reminds me, mine is really old and I need more!! Maybe I should be, but I live in a tiny town with just a gas station and a dollar general.:) I am not scared of people, but me and my husband (at different times) have had close calls with BIG, mean dogs!!!! I am afraid of dogs anyway and that sure doesn't help! We have a leash law, but... you know...
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I like his little feet....so cute :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

How? Shaking a gun doesn't make it go off.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am scared reading this thread. If you need to carry a weapon to go about your normal business (and I take running to be normal business) the states is in a far worse place than I thought it was. The more people who carry weapons really increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt or killed.
    Wow, this thread is enlightening to see the attitude of the general population in America as well. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I know that this is hardly a statistical representation on America, but I am still very uncomfortable reading that knives and guns are carried routinely. I do hope that you know how to use them, and that you never have to! I could never live somewhere where I felt such measures were required.
    I live in rural uk my big problem is no street lights or pavements! I just started running and my expense was the trainers, not a gun!

I can't speak for others, but I don't feel I need to, in the sense that I feel like I'm in eminent danger walking out of my door, but I do believe that I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

It's kind of like seat belts, locking your car/house doors, or learning CPR/First Aid - there may not be an eminent threat of danger, but it's a reasonable precaution to take to increase your safety and that of those around you, should you ever need it.

And actually, your perceived correlation that "more weapons = more injuries/deaths" isn't really true. Anecdotal case in point - our rural areas are typically the most highly-armed areas. Most homes don't just have a gun, they have many, of all different kinds, ranging from pistols to 50-cal large game rifles. Very often, it wasn't uncommon for any given individual to have one on them or in their vehicle. Many of our rural schools have the opening day of major hunting seasons off, because the students and teachers would be out, and it used to be not uncommon for the high schoolers and adults to have rifles in their vehicles on school grounds, because they were going hunting or trap shooting after school.

Gun-related deaths and injuries are rare in these areas. And more often than not, the ones that do happen, happen to the tourists who come from the cities (where guns aren't a way of life) and act like morons and get themselves or their buddies shot.

Additionally, as I and others have mentioned, not only does legal carry reduce crime, but US cities have lower crime rates than equivalent British cities. In the case of licensing involving firearms (concealed carry, hunting licenses, etc), training on safe handling is often part of the licensing process (just like driver's education, be it formal or informal, is required for getting a driver's license).

Knives, guns, mace, training, etc, are all tools that people can use to keep themselves safe, in the event that they actually have to use them, no more, no less. Their presence doesn't turn their wielders into psychos and they don't "just go off" (or in the case of non-projectile things, just embed themselves in someone).
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray in one pocket and a large folding knife with a wicked, nasty blade in the other. They balance each other out. I also run/walk with my dog. He is a total wuss but he at least lets me know when someone or something is near. I would carry my Glock but I havent found a holster that doesnt bounce around and is totally concealed under running/walking clothes.

Belly band: http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Band-Concealment-Holster-Medium/dp/B003PAIZG8/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

Great for running, it hardly moves, and a loose t shirt will cover it just fine.

Or long pants with a bell at the bottom and an ankle holster. Balance it out with an ankle weight on the other leg.

ETA: the belly band works wonderfully with my G26.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    In the case of licensing involving firearms (concealed carry, hunting licenses, etc), training on safe handling is part of the licensing process (just like driver's education, be it formal or informal, is required for getting a driver's license).

Just a little aside, this actually varies by state. Indiana, being one of the three most lax states on gun laws, is a shall issue state that does not require any class or training to get your carry permit. That being said, I don't know anyone with a carry permit that does not regularly make it to a range. I practically grew up at the range. TN, where I lived for a few years working on my masters, does require a class for a carry permit, and had very nice public ranges. They sometimes did and sometimes did not recognize my resident Indiana permit since reciprocity laws change about every time state legislators are in session. If you are traveling and carrying, it's always good to check ahead of time if the states you will be going through like your permit or not at the moment: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In the case of licensing involving firearms (concealed carry, hunting licenses, etc), training on safe handling is part of the licensing process (just like driver's education, be it formal or informal, is required for getting a driver's license).

Just a little aside, this actually varies by state. Indiana, being one of the three most lax states on gun laws, is a shall issue state that does not require any class or training to get your carry permit. That being said, I don't know anyone with a carry permit that does not regularly make it to a range. I practically grew up at the range. TN, where I lived for a few years working on my masters, does require a class for a carry permit, and had very nice public ranges. They sometimes did and sometimes did not recognize my resident Indiana permit since reciprocity laws change about every time state legislators are in session. If you are traveling and carrying, it's always good to check ahead of time if the states you will be going through like your permit or not at the moment: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Ohio and Pennsylvania require classes, so I assumed that everyone did. Good to know that's not necessarily true.

I agree, too, most of the people that I know that have taken the time and money to obtain a firearm, also takes the time to train with it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Big thanks to movies and television for this one - guns don't accidentally discharge on their own, not by being shaken or jostled or by being dropped, etc. The trigger has to be pulled, and that's why good holsters have trigger covers on them.
    but I am still very uncomfortable reading that knives and guns are carried routinely
    Guess what - they are carried routinely by bad guys, and in places where they are illegal to be carried by responsible law-abiding citizens, the bad guys know they have the upper hand every time.
    the belly band works wonderfully with my G26.
    I love my G26! Have never carried it on a run (when I remember, I clip a knife to my shorts), and don't have a belly band, but looked at them when I was searching for a holster for every day carry. I'll have to look into the belly bands again.
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Always. The wife is out right now with our German Shepherd, her cell, and her LCP. I am not worried about her at all.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Ohio and Pennsylvania require classes, so I assumed that everyone did. Good to know that's not necessarily true.

I agree, too, most of the people that I know that have taken the time and money to obtain a firearm, also takes the time to train with it.
    Michigan requires the class as well. I'm additionally required to appear before a gun board next Friday before I'll get licensed to carry concealed (but that's specific to my County).
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have a pit bull and a rottweiller as running buddies, but I still carry a kimber pepper blaster. I haven't had any problems with people, but unfortunately I did have to pepperspray a dog that was aggressively charging my sons stroller. I feel bad for doing it, but I did everything I could to get him to back off. I can't take a chance when it comes to my son, and I wont hesitate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Michigan requires the class as well. I'm additionally required to appear before a gun board next Friday before I'll get licensed to carry concealed (but that's specific to my County).
    California requires all kinds of classes, training, jumping through hoops, and of course paying ridiculous fees. :tongue: They don't make it easy, but I am very thankful to be living in a county with a good Sheriff who will actually issue permits. The wait right now just for the initial interview at the Sheriff's Office is about 12 months.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    California requires all kinds of classes, training, jumping through hoops, and of course paying ridiculous fees. :tongue: They don't make it easy, but I am very thankful to be living in a county with a good Sheriff who will actually issue permits. The wait right now just for the initial interview at the Sheriff's Office is about 12 months.
    California, Illinois and Oregon won't even recognize my CPL...that's what I was told in my class (they said not to even THINK about taking it across those state lines concealed or otherwise)
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    California, Illinois and Oregon won't even recognize my CPL...that's what I was told in my class (they said not to even THINK about taking it across those state lines concealed or otherwise)
    You have to be careful in California even with a California permit! I've heard horror stories about people visiting the San Francisco area and having problems with officers on a traffic stop. I know folks who frequently travel around the state and to other states who carry a copy of the law with them - you get an officer who doesn't usually deal with CCW holders and they often aren't familiar with the law and make mistakes.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Big thanks to movies and television for this one - guns don't accidentally discharge on their own, not by being shaken or jostled or by being dropped, etc. The trigger has to be pulled, and that's why good holsters have trigger covers on them.
    but I am still very uncomfortable reading that knives and guns are carried routinely
    Guess what - they are carried routinely by bad guys, and in places where they are illegal to be carried by responsible law-abiding citizens, the bad guys know they have the upper hand every time.

the belly band works wonderfully with my G26.
    I love my G26! Have never carried it on a run (when I remember, I clip a knife to my shorts), and don't have a belly band, but looked at them when I was searching for a holster for every day carry. I'll have to look into the belly bands again.

So COMPLETELY agree with this ^^^.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options

IL doesn't recognize anybody's permit. They don't allow anybody to carry. However, with a resident MI permit, you can safely carry across state lines into WI, OH, or IN.

ETA: For now, always check the map before a trip, as those laws change often.