Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand that one. I mean, while I don't agree with it, I understand the thought process behind banning guns (and, to a lesser extent, knives). The odds of someone getting killed skyrocket once one is pulled out.

But basically putting mace on the same level as the other two? Really? I don't get it.

Mace, Pepper Spray, Knives.... all of them are illegal in the UK.

I kinda got that from the previous replies. What I don't understand is why mace/pepper spray are considered as dangerous or in need of banning as knives and firearms.

Ahh sorry, I think they consider a person defending themselves to only use "reasonable force" - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean pmsl!! Reasonable force will not include mace, pepper spray, knives, machetes or guns - in their view.

Personally, if somebody were about to attack me or my family and I had a weapon to hand........ not going to say anymore lest I incriminate myself lol.

lol, agreed.

As for the "reasonable force" argument.... *boggle*
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ruger LCP .380, one in the chamber, don't leave home w/o it.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog and I carry my keys (I've taught self defense courses and can use my keys as protection). However, I don't run when it's dark out and I live in a safe area.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA

^^ There is nothing as good as taking a martial arts class. Really.

I can't believe people run with guns!!!! It just seems like a bad idea to me. It just makes me want to scream:

NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, I don't think running around my neighborhood with an AR-15 is a good idea :) What will the neighbors think????

How would running with a gun result in an ND? Unless maybe you carry it in your hand...

I like the AR15 idea...I bet people would cut a wide berth around you! Extra weight could provide extra calorie burn too...
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No. I just figure that since I am already running, I'd just run away if there was trouble.

I hear that one quite a bit.

However if you think about it, if you're at the end of your run and tired can you out sprint someone who is fully rested?
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I used to have pepper spray but I was also afraid that it would be grabbed from my tiny hand and used on me! I dunno, I guess it's better than nothing.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray in one pocket and a large folding knife with a wicked, nasty blade in the other. They balance each other out. I also run/walk with my dog. He is a total wuss but he at least lets me know when someone or something is near. I would carry my Glock but I havent found a holster that doesnt bounce around and is totally concealed under running/walking clothes.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Will have my concealed weapons permit next month...so until then I take my dog, phone and a big stick if I see dogs ahead.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My trainer has been teaching me some self defense recently, but pepper spray wouldn't be a bad idea either.

When I moved out of my parents house the University I went to put me in the crappiest dorm building as far away from anything as it could manage so my dad bought me some "protection"....yeah, that would be a switch blade. LOL :laugh: He swears that it's not classified as an actual switch blade but when I press a little lever on the side and a blade pops out, that's close enough. Thanks, but no thanks daddy...I would probably do more harm to myself than any mugger. :laugh:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA

^^ There is nothing as good as taking a martial arts class. Really.

I can't believe people run with guns!!!! It just seems like a bad idea to me. It just makes me want to scream:

NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, I don't think running around my neighborhood with an AR-15 is a good idea :) What will the neighbors think????

How would running with a gun result in an ND? Unless maybe you carry it in your hand...

I like the AR15 idea...I bet people would cut a wide berth around you! Extra weight could provide extra calorie burn too...

LOL! I think those people that run with a firearm arent carrying AR 15's. Also, hopefully if you ARE running while carrying your firearm, you are well trained on how to use it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yes, I carry pepper spray for some of the nasty dogs in the area.

I expect to have my CPL license in one week, but don't plan to RUN with a sidearm :noway:

However, if the law passes that would included tasers under my CCW, I would consider taking that with me.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

Wow! Nice perception of the US! Funny (or not, actually) how the media makes our whole country look so "dangerous."

Anyway, to answer the question...I generally do not carry anything aside from my iphone and that's only because I use it for music (and use only one earbud). I do have pepper spray, but never remember to bring it.
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am scared reading this thread. If you need to carry a weapon to go about your normal business (and I take running to be normal business) the states is in a far worse place than I thought it was. The more people who carry weapons really increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt or killed.
    Wow, this thread is enlightening to see the attitude of the general population in America as well. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I know that this is hardly a statistical representation on America, but I am still very uncomfortable reading that knives and guns are carried routinely. I do hope that you know how to use them, and that you never have to! I could never live somewhere where I felt such measures were required.
    I live in rural uk my big problem is no street lights or pavements! I just started running and my expense was the trainers, not a gun!
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    I live in the uk so the only thing I could legally carry to defend myself is a set of keys...we only really have muggings round here though so it's not like I need a gun!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but when I go walking I don't carry anything. If it's night time, I go without headphones, but that's it. I don't fear my neighbourhood.

I'm amazed at how many of you carry guns.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many of you carry guns.
    My "guns" are natural and when displayed are a great deterrent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • candylooms
    candylooms Posts: 7
    Options
    I haven't been taking anything but I'd take the .25 it fits in my clevage but feels unsafe to run with it in there. I don't want to be a chedder bob but I am trained to use it. lol
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cute little hedgehog.....When I lived in the UK we used to warm milk down for them...
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i have bear spray.. we have them on the bike trail and around my area.. i have run into 4 bears in the last 2 years. oh.. and a rabid racoon.. and recently we have had a rash of fox attacts..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    i have bear spray.. we have them on the bike trail and around my area.. i have run into 4 bears in the last 2 years. oh.. and a rabid racoon.. and recently we have had a rash of fox attacts..
    :huh: Bears scare the crap out of me (and since there really aren't any where I live, its kind of irrational).

I'd be double fisting the bear spray though. I've watched enough nature shows to know that all you need to do it come close enough to a mama and she'll take you out of the equation!

I live kind of in the country and we have tons of coyotes a fair amount of agressive breed dogs without fences in the area, so I've been chased on my bike by a rottweiler before. Its always better to be safe than sorry..especially if you're running. Crime happens everywhere..even in "safe" neighborhoods.