There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just added 1 tablespoon of brewer's yeast flakes to my fruit and greek yogurt. That single tablespoon had 8 grams of protein. I also add it into other things. I think some people substitute it for parmesan cheese on their pasta and also sprinkle it on popcorn or add it to a shake.

Awesome suggestion!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

That's a blanket statement. That is not true of all people. Some people (like myself) are required to be a vegetarian for medical reasons. it's either be a vegetarian or end up in coma...or worse, die of brain damage. It's the choice of life or non-existence.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, beans, more protein bars/shakes.

I can usually squeeze at least 80g protein without protein supplement fairly easily in my 1600 calorie limit.

I'm not sure if you eat fish, but fish is an outstanding source of lean protein. I know some vegetarians still periodically eat fish, so it's worth bringing up if you do.
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just added 1 tablespoon of brewer's yeast flakes to my fruit and greek yogurt. That single tablespoon had 8 grams of protein. I also add it into other things. I think some people substitute it for parmesan cheese on their pasta and also sprinkle it on popcorn or add it to a shake.

I have never tried that - what does it taste like?

Some say it has sort of a cheesy taste to it. I can definitely tell that it's in my yogurt, but it isn't off-putting if I add fruit to it for more flavor. When I mix it into other things that have stronger flavor I can't really taste it. I am not vegetarian, so I have used it combined with ground meat, etc. and you can't taste it in there at all. I am thinking about trying it on my popcorn this week. May also add it to my brown rice or quinoa (after cooking) when we have stir-fry later on.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    LENTILS!

Lots of protein, lots of fiber and 80 cals/serving (1/4 c dry)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Some say it has sort of a cheesy taste to it. I can definitely tell that it's in my yogurt, but it isn't off-putting if I add fruit to it for more flavor. When I mix it into other things that have stronger flavor I can't really taste it. I am not vegetarian, so I have used it combined with ground meat, etc. and you can't taste it in there at all. I am thinking about trying it on my popcorn this week.

Its going on my shopping list - will definately need to try it out, particularly on popcorn. Thanks for that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    awesome, I eat meat but i don't eat any form of dairy so i'm having a hard time reaching my protein too. Thanx for all the suggestions!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Some say it has sort of a cheesy taste to it. I can definitely tell that it's in my yogurt, but it isn't off-putting if I add fruit to it for more flavor. When I mix it into other things that have stronger flavor I can't really taste it. I am not vegetarian, so I have used it combined with ground meat, etc. and you can't taste it in there at all. I am thinking about trying it on my popcorn this week. May also add it to my brown rice or quinoa (after cooking) when we have stir-fry later on.

People don't use brewers yeast for a cheese substitute, they use NUTRITIONAL yeast. they are not the same...

"Brewers yeast is a one-celled fungus, and used in brewing of beer. Brewers yeast is actually a by-product of the brewing process. Nutritional yeast is grown on molasses as a nutritional supplement. Neither are the same types of yeast as you use baking bread for example. Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are not alive; they are deactivated. Brewers yeast has a more bitter taste than nutritional yeast. Many people say that nutritional yeast has a cheese flavor and like to add it to popcorn and pasta sauces."
  • julieanddavid
    Options
    Great topic! Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    As copied from http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/419791-protein-deficiency-for-vegetarians

"The World Health Organization puts a lot of work into figuring these things out (for pretty obvious reasons). I also feel like they're perhaps less subject to the lobbying efforts of the meat and dairy industries, which I worry about with US FDA recommendations (I'm from the U.S. so that's my governmental reference). There is a detailed report here

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf

with a table on page 87 for ratio of protein calories to total calories for adults and children of different ages and body sizes. My reading is their recommendations are all under 10% of calories from protein. Most vegetables and whole grains easily make this mark. Although you have to be careful, because added fat upsets this balance pretty quickly. For example, if you're sauteing vegetables in oil (which isn't bad in moderation), the oil adds a lot of calories, and no protein. "
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    As copied from http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/419791-protein-deficiency-for-vegetarians

"The World Health Organization puts a lot of work into figuring these things out (for pretty obvious reasons). I also feel like they're perhaps less subject to the lobbying efforts of the meat and dairy industries, which I worry about with US FDA recommendations (I'm from the U.S. so that's my governmental reference). There is a detailed report here

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf

with a table on page 87 for ratio of protein calories to total calories for adults and children of different ages and body sizes. My reading is their recommendations are all under 10% of calories from protein. Most vegetables and whole grains easily make this mark. Although you have to be careful, because added fat upsets this balance pretty quickly. For example, if you're sauteing vegetables in oil (which isn't bad in moderation), the oil adds a lot of calories, and no protein. "

If you're trying to gain muscle, 1-1.5g per lb of lean mass is recommended. These low recommendations are designed for the average lard *kitten* who does no exercise.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Wait... how do you tell what your LEAN body mass % is????

You find out your body fat% and whats not fat is considered LBM I believe.

I have no idea what my body fat% is... Haha. Ah well. No biggee!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

You can estimate it with one of these type calculators:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

You can estimate it with one of these type calculators:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Oh! Well, thank you. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Oh! Well, thank you. :)
    It's a rough estimate, but better than nothing at all.
  • lscott62
    lscott62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    those would be most all of my suggestions.... also any bean; black ,cannelini, chickpea, white etc. is total protein. check out some clean baking recipes with protein powder in them.

http://www.billandchelle.com/fitness/recipes.html#Chelles_Mexican_Pizza

this girl is a clean eater and has some great recipes on her site!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    those would be most all of my suggestions.... also any bean; black ,cannelini, chickpea, white etc. is total protein. check out some clean baking recipes with protein powder in them.

http://www.billandchelle.com/fitness/recipes.html#Chelles_Mexican_Pizza

this girl is a clean eater and has some great recipes on her site!
    BLACK soybeans are an excellent source, and lower in carbs than some of the other beans. If that matters to you.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting 3x a week this month based on the NROLFW. I also bike 2x a week 10 miles on a fixed gear, so it takes a lot out of my legs. I'm also a vegetarian.

According to most sources, they claim that you should eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which means I should be aiming for about 135g.

On a GOOD day I can hit 50, and that's if I drink a protein shake. On most days I'm anywhere between 25 - 30. Along with this, I need to make sure I'm eating a lot of fiber to keep myself regular. Oatmeal destroys my stomach and so does granola in large quantities, so I need to be sensitive to how I get my fiber.

So how the crap can I get the protein my muscles need to keep up with the demand, eat my fiber, and keep within 1600-1800 calories?

This is way too much to think about. Meeehh.
    The only way i can do it is by eating
    tuna 4oz=26g protein (100 calories)
    & talapia 8oz 46g protein(220 calories
    turkey sausage 13g protein (120 calories)
    protein shake 25g protein (105 calories)
    protein bar 20g protein (calorie depends on bar)

EDIT: Fish keeps me regular!
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I think they meant nutritional yeast, not brewer's yeast. It tastes good mixed in with other things - a bit cheesy tasting.

Unfortunately there are many folks who don't know about the abundance of protein rich vegetarian food choices. You get better support on the vegetarian/vegan groups here, as there is a whole community of folks who get plenty of protein without eating meat. It is not a mainstream lifestyle you have to go a bit out of your way to find foods that work for you. I cook almost all of my own food because it is too hard to find healthy options at mainstream restaurants.

A lot of people know about quinoa but check out amaranth and canahua grains - high in protein and very tasty. My breakfast is a blend of quinoa, amaranth and canahua with almonds fruits and soymilk. 19 grams of protein there.

Lucerne nonfat greek yogurt has 19 grams of protein in 8 oz. With this as a snack I'm already close to 40 before lunch or dinner.

Quorn, beans, peas, tempeh, eggs and nofat cottage cheese are other staples for me. I eat occasional soy/fake meat but am not that fond of them, more of something high protein when I'm in a rush. Watch out for hi carb low protein veggie burgers. Look for veggies that are high in protein like spinach. I am in weight burning mode, not heavy lifting and don't need 100+ g of protein (only eating 1200--1500 cal/day) but I regularly hit 60-80 g protein without trying hard. If/when I transition to muscle building / lifting (I hope to) then I plan to supplement with protein shakes and perhaps more yogurt. Currently only having 1 serving of yogurt per day but it is so yummy I could easily do more.