Women Ages 50+ for the month of July

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good afternhoon Ladies:flowerforyou: I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th. It is sprinkling here so I guess I won't be walking out side,:huh: guess I'll do my Leslies Sansone 3 mile today. I really miss all the hiking we did on vacation. I wish I could get my husband motivated to go to the State Park with me a few days a week to walk. It's only about 7 miles from my house. He say's he does enough walking at work. Bah Humbug:frown: I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow. I feel a little lighter:laugh:

Welcome Jeannie: You will love this thread, the ladies here have been very helpful and are truly caring.
    Hey Lianne, So happy surgery went well and you are comfortable.
    To all the ladies enjoy the rest of the weekend TTYS Rosemary
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I used the weight machines today. I really need to work harder after this weekend. My husband and I did some cooking together. I ate way too much. I am starting another exercise class tomorrow. I will be going to classes four times a week now.
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Welcome, Jeannie from NM.
    I'm from BC, which I have to admit, is very beautiful. It's hot right now, about 95 or so but rain due the next few days. We can use it.
    Hope you enjoy this thread, all these ladies are most encouraging and supportive. I haven't been with it that long but was made to feel so welcome here and with the senior's as well.
    Enjoy and all the best with your Wloss journey.
    Ellen
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I made a start of one of my goals today, the one about finding the local walking trail and actually walking on it. We got up early this morning and after dog walking, breakfast, and showers we drove to one of the parking areas along the trail and took off for a walk that lasted about 50 minutes. It was already pretty warm this morning so I'm glad we went early. When I put on my walking shoes the dogs thought I was going to take them to the dog park. I did that after lunch when it was very warm so we only stayed for 35 minutes.

:flowerforyou: Becky, you asked me about Zumba. I probably would love it if I tried it, but I am so committed to line dancing right now (I go to four two hour classes a week) that I don't want to fragment myself with something new. Someone told me that it was good for trimming your waistline so I was tempted to try it. Also, about husbands who put temptation in your way, I think that's just part of what they do. Jake and I are so committed to our new eating plan and he knows about my rule of not eating any food that is offered to me, but he still offers me a bite of every snack that he has and when I remind him of my rule, he says, "I know, but I'm just offering you things out of love" :heart: How can you be angry at someone who says that?:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. What a great idea to do exercises sitting down while you wait to find a solution.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. :bigsmile: I'm sure all your critters love having you home and lying down where they can get to you. Your "techno-splint" sounds fabulous. Ice is your friend.

:flowerforyou: Debbie, I admire how well you're doing in a house with kids and a husband who brings home doughnuts. You have to try a lot harder than the rest of us.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, welcome to the group. We traveled across New Mexico two years ago and spent time in Santa Rosa and Gallup. Your starting and goal weights sound a lot like mine. I wish you the best. Check in with this group regularly and you'll get the support and motivation that you'll never get anywhere else. You're not the only one who struggles with drinking water. I had to make a rule for myself that I couldn't get on the computer unless I drank 8 ounces of water first. I keep a glass on the counter in the kitchen so I can fill it and drink from it whenever I'm in the kitchen.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Barb---congratulations on your continued weight loss :bigsmile: and your never give up attitude. I'm so glad that your doggies had an uneventful 4th. We decided when we got dogs that we would stay home with them on the 4th. Our Golden Retriever was so freaked out that she would go into the laundry room (the only room in the house with no exterior walls) and lie down as close to the washer and dryer as she could get.

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, I did the same thing you did----I wrote down all my food and exercise while I was away from the computer. I'm glad it worked for you. I love your idea about the chicken pockets. We are going to try that on our propane grill at home.

For Independence Day we went to a giant barbecue at the home of friends. We fixed and ate our regular midday meal before we went and brought a bottle of water to drink. We just said no to the tons of food and sugary, caffeine filled beverages that were everywhere. We stayed long enough to talk to all of the people that we knew and then came home and took a nap.:laugh: :laugh:

Keep up the good work. Together we can do this.:bigsmile: :heart:
    Barbie
  • ataloss
    ataloss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't checked in with this group since April - and then only briefly. I realize that I need to take time to post and learn from this group.
    I recently found out that I will need complete hip replacements on both my right and left hips. Severe arthritis and impingements on both balls and sockets seem to be taking their toll! I had arthoscopic surgery in Nov on my right one - the 6 month check up was terrific! I was gardening, walking longer distances more consistently, dealing with home and work. Then I it all disappeared and I was back in pain. When the PA looked at the xrays my right hip was completely bone on bone...as is the left. For two weeks I've been in semi-shock. Moving feels better than sitting, it's summer! There are weeds to pull and plants to trim! I start back to grad school tomorrow for an intense month of classes, then back to my teaching. Hopefully, I will be able to schedule surgery for October or November - I'll know on July 15 when I meet with the doctor again - post shock!
    I know that losing weight will help tremendously. Prayer and positive attitude will help too....I will have plenty of study time as I recoup and I can do many of my school responsibilities remotely as long as I really connect with students and teachers in August until surgery time....

My goals:
    1. post my meals as I was doing before
    2. really restrict dairy foods (may cause more inflamation)
    3. limit gluten products
    4. check in with this group once a week

Thanks for just being here -
    Vicki
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: barbie...line dancing is very good exercise. I have done it in the past (not very well, though). That is great...your husband does that out of love...that is so sweet. Mine is continuing to make yummies and it is so hard to turn them down.:grumble:

Congratulations to all who have been losing weight. I hope that you did well this weekend.

I went to the gym today. I just did the weight machines, then sat in the steam room and the whirlpool. I will be doing more than that this week. I am planning on going to a core exercise group on Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday and Thursday will be my Zumba class. That leaves Friday when I will do the weight machines. I think that with this routine I should see the numbers on the scales drop.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Vicki I am so sorry to hear about your hips. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Good morning Barbie, I am doing the happy dance:drinker: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: 3 more pounds. I am under 200 WOOOOHOOOO. I need to go back to the park so I can Hike every day. Gotta get to work. Will write more later. Thanks for all the encouragement. Love to all. Rosemary
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Wow, you all did much better for your weekend. I actually gained a half pound(and when you add that to the other half pound that has been coming and going for a week...grrr). I was back on track yesterday, but I probably won't see any benefits until Wed.:cry: I even kept up my exercise and gained weight.
    Rosemary, congrats for coming under 200. That's wonderful!:flowerforyou:
    Had a great 4th--loved seeing fireworks!
    Bonnie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Laurel, Congrates on being below 200. I got there a few weeks ago and boy it feels good. Welcome to the below 200 group. What a milestone. My next goal is to weigh less than my husband. It will be soon. I ate a little more than I have in months this weekend. I ate the right foods just more calories than by body is used to. I never went over my exercise calories so I will see how the scale does this week. We went to Chili's one day and I decided I wanted something different so I got 1/2 ribs. Thinking they couldn't be that bad. HA 600 calories in one meal. Wont do that again. I always check the calories before I go and this time I did not. I got right back on the wagon and did great workout but still not happy with myself. But they were really good so I guess I needed them. I am over it anyway. Feel like I can get back to normal this week. Plan to cook most of my meals so I can do better. I will continue my exercise also. I hope everyone is doing well this morning. The site is kind of quiet. Hope to hear from all of you soon. Vicki I wish you good luck with your surgery. Hope you get back to normal soon.
    Vicki
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Morning

I have been off line for awhile. I took a couple of much needed days off work last week. I just did things with the kids - or should I say did things for the kids:laugh:

Marie - Your pics are great! I have to bolster up the courage to get in front of a camera. I won't even really have any before pictures because I haven't let anybody take pictures for several years.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone - Too busy at work to play on here:grumble: Its nice to have time off but all my work is piled up waiting for me.

Have a great day all.

Oh my July goals:
    Lose 10 lbs by the 30th - Dr. appt.
    Eat healthy
    drink water.

Heather
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Good Morning,

We woke up to socked in rain this morning.

W in tells me I'm right where I was at the beginning of June, but at least I've lost the couple of lbs I had found again.

Yes, Laurel and Vicki, it is so great to be under 200. Now I want to get further from it!

Vicki, so sorry that you have to have hip surgery.

Heather, I see that you are fellow Canuck. My Mom's family are from the Niagara Peninsula. That's great if you can lose 10 by the end of July. I find that the older I get the slower it goes. My goal is .5 per week for July.

Have a good week everyone.

Ellen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I didn't exercise at all while the kids were here, but did VERY well food-wise both Friday and Saturday. Sunday I went over my BMR a bit, even though I had very small portions at the anniversary fish fry. :blushing: Seems Monday has turned in to my vegetarian day to make up for Sundays.

We had a wonderful weekend with the kids. It was fun watching my daughter and her boyfriend interact. He is so good for her. His quiet strength mellows her hyper personality. I haven't seen her this happy in a very long time. And her little dog is a real cutie.

Pieces of my heart just left heading back to Arkansas. :cry: I miss them already!
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :yawn: hello and good afternoon to all. a little tired today. been out giving rides off and on all morning.. i am ready for a walk . i have a leslie sansone walk a mile i use it on our rainey days. i know put it on the portable dvd so i can watch the cooking channel at the same time. she has made some good at home dvds i am going to mention to my girls about going to our state parks some of them have trails that would be so nice. bring some healthy things and have a lunch to what a nice thought.
    good job to everyone with the weight lost i have been reading some of the recipes on the reciopes site learning some nice new things to cook ok everyone have a nice afternoon.. love debbie and family
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm waaaaayy behind on the reading on this thread - AGAIN! I have had a busy weekend and didn't check in since friday. So, I'm going to scan the posts for the weekend later.

I know someone on here was doing the South Beach diet (I think it was Patsigirl?). I am thinking of starting it tomorrow. Any hints on getting started - other than just to do it!:smile: ?

Have a great day everyone and I WILL be back!

Esther
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I just finished working up a good sweat to BL Boot-camp, level 2. Now it's off to the shower before hubby gets home.
    My surgery went fine and as I lay here on my delicious Temper-Pedic bed with one of my best cuddling cats Toby snuggled close I am grateful to be feeling pretty good. :wink: :wink: Not much pain and they sent me home with this wonderful gadget. :heart: :heart: I have a full leg splint but wrapped in the bandage is a bladder that is hooked up to a little ice box with tubes and a motor. Fill it with Ice and water and plug it in and plug me into the hoses connected to the ice box and every 90 seconds it flushes the system wrapped around my leg with very cold compression. This reduces swelling and controls pain. I am in love with this thing. :heart: :heart: What will they think of next! My husband is the best care giver and my pets are the best company keepers. I have managed to stay focused on eating according to my program. No exercise except lugging this splinted leg around has made my stomach, thigh and arm muscles talk to me pretty good. I won't be able to weigh until till next Friday when this splint comes off.:grumble: Lianne

Glad your surgery went well. I have a girlfriend who lives in CA who had similar surgery and the same gadget. She said it made all the difference in the world and kept her from having to eat pain pills. I bet you'll be surprised how much weight you'll lose just sticking to your eating plan even though you can't do any formal exercise. And what a blessing to have such a great in house nurse and furry bed partners!:smooched: I was similarly blessed when I had a hysterectomy/vaginal suspension a few years ago. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE IT! :heart: (I especially remember the days right after surgery when I stared at the bedroom ceiling so long I felt like I could tell you exactly how many bumps there were. :tongue: )
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope all are doing well. I just wanted to say thank you to the encouragement you have given me about my knee:flowerforyou: It encourages me to keep on trying my best. What will be will be but I am not going down without a fight:blushing:

Today I did a modified version of BLBoot camp by sitting down on the exercise ball and lifting my weights. I also started a new DVD I had bought awhile ago of all exercises for the exercise ball. It is really good and I plan on incorporating it into my workout routine. My xray is booked for Wednesday but I have no idea how long it will take for the MRI. I intend to stay active in the meantime. Hey, has anyone ever tried biking with one leg on their stationary bike? Well I did this morning...now mind you I could only do about 10 minutes because the knee that has given me grief in the past (but is not the sore one right now) was complaining and I sure don't want to tick it off too:noway: I figure any exercise will help the cause:bigsmile:

Another day of rain with more forecasted for the next 3 days:grumble: as well as very chilly temperatures to go with it! Sure doesn't feel like July. I made a roast beef dinner for tonite and already have tomorrow nites done as well; a turkey shepherd's pie. I never use my oven this time of year but it sure felt nice and warm in my kitchen compared to how chilly it was outside:laugh:

Take care everyone and do some exercising for me:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :happy: My husband and I went to Denver to visit our folks. My dad is 88 and my mom is 81. They are both doing very well (except my mom climbing up on a 5' ladder to water her hanging plant:angry: ). We didn't go anywhere special and so instead of grilling burgers or steak (which I must admit I did miss) I fixed a wonderful green salad. Except for 2 Winchell's donuts (which can't be found in Nebraska) I fared well with my eating. It is good to be back home though. The last time I was at my folks, I worried if the seatbelt in their car would reach far enough (I know you've been there too). This time, the belt slid right in and even had some give left! It is good to be feeling ways the weight is going off!!
    I've been drinking more water and am working toward drinking 80 oz. each day. I need to get back on the treadmill and doing scrunches this week too. It's good to heard about each of you. We're here for each other!!:flowerforyou:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Just caught up on reading posts. Had a great 4th of July had friends and family over cooked out ate bad.:sad: :embarassed: oh well we at least had a wonderful weekend. My Son his wife and daughter along with there 2 dogs spent the entire weekend at our house. We had neighbors and friends join us for a great afternoon. Worked out this morning and working with my trainer tomorrow. Going to the beach to visit a friend this week and weekend will be back next Tuesday. Hope to exercise while away and not over indulge. Good luck this week talk again when I return.
    Lynn:drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

It looks like there's a lot of non-summery weather out there.:flowerforyou: After days of heat, suddenly we had overcast, cold, and finally thunder, lightning, and rain. Now I'm back to wearing a sweatshirt. :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble with your hips. I'll be thinking good thoughts about a positive outcome when you see the doctor.

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, congratulations on being under 200. That is an awesome milestone.

:flowerforyou: Ellen, your new picture is great.:bigsmile:

It felt so good to be back to one of my regular line dance classes. I only knew two of the dances because I've been gone so long, but I've missed my friends and I think they missed me.

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo, that is such good news about how the seatbelt fit. It's those little things that nobody else notices that mean so much.

:flowerforyou: Heather, it's good to hear from you again. I've missed you.

:flowerforyou: lynn, have a great trip.

I keep waking up about 5 AM so I'm tired already and headed for bed.
    hugs,:heart:
    Barbie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    The latest news on my brother is that he is finally sleeping at night. He doesn't see the oncologist until the 28th. Everything I've read on this disease tells me it is the most treatable form of malignancy, so I am hopeful of his complete recovery. Especially considering this time last year her had NO trace of it. His wife, on the other hand, is one of those half empty kind of people and can't see anything but gloom and doom ahead. She needs your prayers as much, or more, than my brother.

One week into the month and on weigh and measure day nothing has moved. Normally that would bother me, but considering all but one of those days we had some sort of food related event to attend, I am calling it progress. Today winds it all down with a girlie lunch at my house (I'm making chicken salad and strawberry spinach salad) and then the first of 4 July family birthday suppers tonight.

Saturday is MY niece's wedding. (You mostly hear me talking about hubby's side of the family.) None of my formal wear fits anymore, but I was able to find a nice dress at a local consignment shop. (I refuse to pay retail when I don't plan to be this size in a few months.) It embarrasses my husband when I tell that I've found bargains like that, so he has made me promise not to tell where it came from. So to get it out of my system, I'm telling y'all! :tongue: After a trip to the cleaner's no one would know anyway....

I'm off to pick black-eyed Susan's for my luncheon centerpiece. :flowerforyou:

:drinker: Don't forget to DRINK ALL YOU WATER TODAY! :drinker: