Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Awesome thread! I have been following the last 2 days. here are my stats:
    5'7
    CW:193
    SW: 214

I have 3 kids so my stomach is seriously lacking definition:)

Since i have about 50 still to lose should I concentrate more on my eating habits and less about exercise or do combo of both. I think exercising might get me results quicker but which is more important? My problem is I'm not consistent with exercise. I try to do cardio every other day and strength training 2 times a week.

I just dont want to be flabby when the weight comes off, but I know I need to lose the weight otherwise I'm building muscle under this fat.

Thanks again for answering all our questions!

Realistically, you could get to your goal with out an ounce of "exercise", but from a health standpoint, I definitely wouldn't recommend that too a healthy individual. My mother has been a size 0 pretty much her entire life and regularly eats chocolate, but if you examine her eating habits more directly, she has the appetite of a mouse! ANYbody could be thin with how little she eats. If I was to give a percentage to how important your nutrition is to your goal, it is like 75% if not 85% of what you need to be focusing on. Don't use the word "exercise" though....think "activity" instead. Make it fun. Find something you actually love that gets your heart rate up. Most people that "exercise" give up. For me and what I do(weightlifting, ballroom and latin dance, yoga, kickboxing).....I wake up to them and go to bed thinking about them. It's my play time.
  • jleWings
    jleWings Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read over this when I have more time
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi there,thank you so much for time here replying to everyone's posts:)The info given here is just so awesome.My question is,suppose I am walking on the treadmill on various speeds and intensities for an hour or so and final result is that I burnt 1000 calories....I know the gym machines are not that accurate.So according to you how much do you think I burnt out of 1000.The one I hop onto is a "Freemotion" treadmill.And which is the best machine to work onto,a treamill or Elliptical.I have lost 40 pounds since October 2011,starting at 185 and have to loose 30 pounds more.can you please tell me a good exercise regimen,It will be of great help to me.Do you think the "Body Bug" that they sell at the gym is good enough in terms of accuracy??
    Sorry for all the questions:smile:

Thanks!!

No such thing as best cardio or a good workout. That's up to the individual. Most people say elliptical and treadmill is the best to burn calories, but me personally, I wouldn't last a week on those things. I'd be pulling my hair out yeh! I burn calories through dance, weightlifting, yoga, and kickboxing. These are my loves. And it is easy to burn a **** ton of calories doing them because I LOVE doing them so much. You've lost 40 pounds already! You're doing great! Keep doing what you're doing, but I'd also recommend getting out more and experiencing a lot more of the active life. Kayaking, surfing, mountain biking, swimming, volleyball, tennis, baseball, martial arts, dance, etc. I have an elderly client who her activity is working in her garden for a few hours everyday. It's her alone time....her time to recollect and relax. But she probably burns around 600 calories in that time! She's moving back and forth, digging, lifting pots and watering bowls, etc. Don't be that boring person who's life revolves around diet and exercise(unless of course that floats your boat). Reach your goals while living life to the fullest I say. Keep up the awesome work.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always look out for second opinions, a great friend is helping me out however would appreciate your take on it..

Stats:
    5'5"
    202 lbs
    Currently doing Insanity 4th week and started C25k ( week 2)
    Eating 1850 cals with zone diet. 40:30:30
    Was at 198 lbs in feb gained 4 pounds in march(reason ate too low maybe 800 to 900 cals in a day and gained weight )and now stuck at 202.
    According to bodymedia i burn 2000 cals in a day if i lay on bed whole day.
    On average burn 2300-2400 calories.
    Haven't lost weight in say like ages. Its not a plateau for sure.

Apprecite your feedback.
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    BUMP for a good read later.... very intersting, insightful, encouraging and pleasant. Thanks. :wink:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    This is actually 2 different questions...

I'm 5'9 and weigh 149
    23% bf
    26 yo female

My trainer said to start hitting the weight heavy and not worry about counting calories in order to lean down to 18%bf. I told her I was afraid I'd gain weight but she just said to be sure and eat clean and eat 150g protein each day.

Well that was 2 weeks ago and now I've gained 3 lbs :( Should I hit the cardio more to try and lean out?

Question #2

How do I decrease cellulite? Is reducing overall body fat the only way to reduce it?

Thanks so much :)

Nothing wrong with what your trainer said. Obviously you do want to try and eat cleaner foods than all the processed stuff. Technically you don't even have to count the calories to lean out, you could just track your weight. If you're losing weight, you're losing body fat. SOMEthing has to be tracked though, and calories, weight, and measurements are the bare minimum if you ask me. What gets tracked gets improved. If you've never worked out with weights or have come off of a long hiatus from them, then you probably added a little muscle to your frame over the past few weeks. It also needs to be said that all things equal, exercise usually makes me MORE hungry. If I were not to be in control of my appetite and regularly weighing my intake versus what I'm burning, I'd probably NEVER get anywhere because I would always be eating back too much. Start with the MFP calculator. Track your calories and adjust them as necessary till you start losing at the desired rate.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am 131.3
    5 1/2 ft tall
    Workout 5x a week sometimes more
    My question is am I eating enough cals at 2200??
    My TDEE is 2247
    My BMR 1449
    Thanks!!

Definitely eating enough. But what's the goal though?....
    [/quote
    my GW is 125!! Hope that helps!!

If you've stalled out over two weeks, then you're taking in too much. It's science, but it's not rocket science. As you lean out, you have to readjust your caloric levels because losing weight by itself decreases your metabolism!! It take a WHOLE lot more calories to maintain a body that is 200 pounds overweight than and individual that is say 160 pounds! Something to keep in mind. You have to be constantly readjusting as necessary. What was your maintenance at 175 pounds is going to be different than what your maintenance would be at 150. Things to remember and always come back to.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Looking forward to today's thread. Sure going to miss you when you're gone. You've been FANTASTIC yeh.

When I'm gone?....Is somebody planning to assassinate me?..... ;D
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    i'm new to MFF and I'm loving it. So far, I've lost 3 lbs in 2-weeks on Insanity. Here's my dilemma.... when I try and stay within the recommended calorie intake, then I exceed all of the other categories like protein and sugars, for example. But, when I try and stay within the recommended categories, then I wouldn't get enough calories.

Should I focus more on maintaining the correct calorie intake and less on the category breakdown?

BTW, I'm not gonna start a donut and soda diet just the calories but I don't know if I should be concerned if I eat good calories and exceed the intake calorie goal by a few hundred.

I want to know the answer to this question as well
  • MeowserKitty
    MeowserKitty Posts: 185
    Options
    Hello! I am 18, 5'5 and 115 ish pounds
    I reached this through restricting too much (not intentional, I was put on a medicine that ripped my appetite away) and I really do love this weight for me. However now I have been eating more (sometimes too much, oi) an I feel like I'll be putting weight back on. Some day my intake is as low as 1200, others it hits about 2000. I want to be able to eat a steady amount and be comfortable maintaining. I workout (cardio, run or elliptical) at least 30 minutes (to 60) a day and have begun some lifting, compound exercises, and jilian tapes, and I take a rest day. I believe I see that I am gaining weight (clothes a bit tighter, more notable flab) and I want to stop it or turn it into muscle weight. Anyways, how do you suggest I fix this? I am comfortable fluctuating from 115-120. I did become slightly skinny fat. But I don't want to increase my intake too much if my previous restricting will make me gain fast. Thanks so much.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I use a hrm and am wondering do I want to be in fat burning or fitness zone. I've got 10 lbs to go and I would say I fall in the pretty fit area. Have been working out for several years and do various workouts for all over and change my wo routines, I just seem to be stuck. Thanks :)

For fat/weightloss doesn't matter. What matters is your tally over the long run of energy ingested vs burned. Readjust your calories or bump up the activity a bit.....maybe even give yourself two days off and then get back on the horse. Don't be afraid to take a step back in order to take two forward. Enjoy life yeh
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I always look out for second opinions, a great friend is helping me out however would appreciate your take on it..

Stats:
    5'5"
    202 lbs
    Currently doing Insanity 4th week and started C25k ( week 2)
    Eating 1850 cals with zone diet. 40:30:30
    Was at 198 lbs in feb gained 4 pounds in march(reason ate too low maybe 800 to 900 cals in a day and gained weight )and now stuck at 202.
    According to bodymedia i burn 2000 cals in a day if i lay on bed whole day.
    On average burn 2300-2400 calories.
    Haven't lost weight in say like ages. Its not a plateau for sure.

Apprecite your feedback.

How long have you been on the 1840 cals with the Zone?....That actually looks pretty good yeh. Keep it simple though. Track that for two weeks, if nothing has been lost, then either increase the activity a bit or decrease the intake a bit. Everyone can lose, it's just a matter of finding your body's rhythm.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1850 since last 4 weeks, no loss. Tried increasing activity thats why incorporated C25k with insanity.. its been 2 weeks..nothing and i hv been stuggling to find rhythm since last october with every combination possible. All harmones are in place.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    i'm new to MFF and I'm loving it. So far, I've lost 3 lbs in 2-weeks on Insanity. Here's my dilemma.... when I try and stay within the recommended calorie intake, then I exceed all of the other categories like protein and sugars, for example. But, when I try and stay within the recommended categories, then I wouldn't get enough calories.

Should I focus more on maintaining the correct calorie intake and less on the category breakdown?

BTW, I'm not gonna start a donut and soda diet just the calories but I don't know if I should be concerned if I eat good calories and exceed the intake calorie goal by a few hundred.

I want to know the answer to this question as well

It's not what you eat, it's HOW MUCH you eat.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If I'm 5'6" and 142 and my weight loss has stalled for almost a month is it possible that I may not be eating enough?? I typically eat between 1450-1550 calories a day. I'm not currently working out because I just returned to work from maternity leave and haven't quite got a routine down yet that allows me too. I calculated my BMR (1441) and my TDEE (1921) so at what I'm eating I'm shocked my weight has stayed exactly the same for almost 4 weeks. Thoughts??

*edited to correct my calories.

You're probably not spot on with the counting. We're not just talking food, we're talking EVERYthing that goes in your mouth. Drinks, condiments, food, EVERYthing. Look for hidden calories too. Something's not adding up.

Are you breastfeeding? If so, you might not be eating enough - it takes about 500 cal if you're exclusively bf/pumping (no formula) and 300 if it's about half and half (or when baby starts on solids). In addition, some of us are "nut storers" for a while when BF. For me, I got back to my pre-preg weight (not too hard, I was careful to only gain recommended for my situation, and it was almost all baby-etc) and then stalled for about 5 months. I think 2 things contributed to breaking through: introducing solids (so I'm not his only source of nutrition now) and being better at tracking everything, even my cheat days. If you are BF, stay with it, just realize you have to be more patient and more careful sometimes.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hello! I am 18, 5'5 and 115 ish pounds
    I reached this through restricting too much (not intentional, I was put on a medicine that ripped my appetite away) and I really do love this weight for me. However now I have been eating more (sometimes too much, oi) an I feel like I'll be putting weight back on. Some day my intake is as low as 1200, others it hits about 2000. I want to be able to eat a steady amount and be comfortable maintaining. I workout (cardio, run or elliptical) at least 30 minutes (to 60) a day and have begun some lifting, compound exercises, and jilian tapes, and I take a rest day. I believe I see that I am gaining weight (clothes a bit tighter, more notable flab) and I want to stop it or turn it into muscle weight. Anyways, how do you suggest I fix this? I am comfortable fluctuating from 115-120. I did become slightly skinny fat. But I don't want to increase my intake too much if my previous restricting will make me gain fast. Thanks so much.

Get strong in mind first. Gain complete control of your eating habits. Gain complete knowledge of what you can and cannot get away with in YOUR body. Can't turn fat into muscle.....you can only burn fat. Muscle is gained through resistance training and proper nutrition. Don't make this a complicated thing. I always tell my clients to live by my 5pound rule:

Once you reach your goal weight, give yourself a 5pound skew up and down. Going to the beach this weekend and wanna look extra good?....lose 5 more pounds. Wanna enjoy all those coconut drink things and appetizers while at the beach?.....Rock out! Just keep it to under 5 pounds OVER your base weight. For you for instance: 110-120 with the 115 being base.
  • AbbyHoopi
    AbbyHoopi Posts: 48
    Options
    I do my cardio and a few things of lifting at the gym but I have a 2 year old so I hate to be gone too long. Do you have any suggestions to tone up my arms with free weights at home?? Like something I can do when he is in bed and I am just watching TV or something?:) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • lscott62
    lscott62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats as you. Same height, almost same weight. you are doing great!!! YES rest day is important!! Make it active if you can, but rest. Your body needs it and your muscles need it. I switch days with muscle sets thru the week to give them time to build fibers back that you tear as you work out. Keep up the good work girl.....
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread. Best advice I've seen.

Before I get into my question, here are my stats:

28 years old
    5'7"
    CW: 240
    SW: 273 (as of 12/2011; I was at 350 a few years ago and lost about 100 lbs, but pregnancy threw me off-track)
    GW: 170 (for now; probably more like 150, but 170 is what my dr recommended)

As I mentioned above, I lost around 100 lbs, got pregnant, gained some back, and started trying to get my weight loss going again in December. I was basically just trying to eat healthier and getting more exercise (walking 3-6 miles a day/5 days a week, plus elliptical some days). Lost 25 lbs, then stalled.

I decided to try MFP to track my calories, but since I've started, I feel like I'm having more trouble than ever. I can't seem to find the right calorie goal. I've read so many advice threads, I've used all of the calculators (and get different goals from all of them), I've experimented with different levels, and I just can't seem to find the sweet spot. I'll lose a couple of lbs and then gain back four (I know it's probably water weight, but still disheartening). I know it can be a slow-going trial and error process, but I feel completely lost.

According to Fat2FitRadio, my BMR is 1882. It suggests 2442 for moderately active (my job is very physical, and I walk/Zumba/workout at least 5x a week, so I figured that would be the right activity level, but not sure). The TDEE calculator I used says 2909. Given these stats, what would you suggest as my calorie goal? Also, do I need to eat back exercise calories? I've seen so much conflicting information that I just don't know.

Sorry for the long post - I ramble when I'm frustrated lol. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I think it's amazing that you take the time to help all of us like this.