Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• justdoit_steph
    Options
    OK - I asked this on another thread but I'm kind of interested what you might think about my heart rate? :)

I just got my HRM in this week. So, I have actually started watching my heart rate a little more than normal. I'm a little concerned that my hr might be a little too high according to the on line charts. I guess I'm curious if this is normal or something I might need to get checked out? I'm not new to exercising but I do prefer lifting weights more than cardio stuff. I typically do 2 - 3 days of cardio on a good week. I have been doing this for over 6 months. OK some stats...
    Age - 31
    Time Duration - 60 min on elliptical
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

I'm certain my HRM is pretty accurate because the elliptical machine will also range from 185 - 190's when I'm not using my HRM. If my heart rate is alright what am I doing to my body with it this high? Am I burning fat or because it is not in the desirable range am I damaging my heart? I'm trying to make it healthier not damage it :)
    Thanks!!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    This is an amazing thread. Best advice I've seen.

Before I get into my question, here are my stats:

28 years old
    5'7"
    CW: 240
    SW: 273 (as of 12/2011; I was at 350 a few years ago and lost about 100 lbs, but pregnancy threw me off-track)
    GW: 170 (for now; probably more like 150, but 170 is what my dr recommended)

As I mentioned above, I lost around 100 lbs, got pregnant, gained some back, and started trying to get my weight loss going again in December. I was basically just trying to eat healthier and getting more exercise (walking 3-6 miles a day/5 days a week, plus elliptical some days). Lost 25 lbs, then stalled.

I decided to try MFP to track my calories, but since I've started, I feel like I'm having more trouble than ever. I can't seem to find the right calorie goal. I've read so many advice threads, I've used all of the calculators (and get different goals from all of them), I've experimented with different levels, and I just can't seem to find the sweet spot. I'll lose a couple of lbs and then gain back four (I know it's probably water weight, but still disheartening). I know it can be a slow-going trial and error process, but I feel completely lost.

According to Fat2FitRadio, my BMR is 1882. It suggests 2442 for moderately active (my job is very physical, and I walk/Zumba/workout at least 5x a week, so I figured that would be the right activity level, but not sure). The TDEE calculator I used says 2909. Given these stats, what would you suggest as my calorie goal? Also, do I need to eat back exercise calories? I've seen so much conflicting information that I just don't know.

Sorry for the long post - I ramble when I'm frustrated lol. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I think it's amazing that you take the time to help all of us like this.

Assuming healthy, I would reco 2000 stat for the next two weeks and then seeing where you're at. You've already done a great job by the way, so pat yourself on the back for that. But yes, try 2000 spot on for the next two weeks, and then hit me back with the results yeh.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I do my cardio and a few things of lifting at the gym but I have a 2 year old so I hate to be gone too long. Do you have any suggestions to tone up my arms with free weights at home?? Like something I can do when he is in bed and I am just watching TV or something?:) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What most call toning is simply a reduction in body fat while adding a little bit of muscle back. Most people who think they have bad this and bad that, as the body fat starts going lower and lower, they start liking what they see in the mirror more and more. Standard tricep exercise are extensions and pressing movements: overhead triceps extension with dumbbell, dumbbell kickbacks, close-grip bench, seated dips, etc. Hope this helps
  • AbbyHoopi
    AbbyHoopi Posts: 48
    Options
    I do my cardio and a few things of lifting at the gym but I have a 2 year old so I hate to be gone too long. Do you have any suggestions to tone up my arms with free weights at home?? Like something I can do when he is in bed and I am just watching TV or something?:) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What most call toning is simply a reduction in body fat while adding a little bit of muscle back. Most people who think they have bad this and bad that, as the body fat starts going lower and lower, they start liking what they see in the mirror more and more. Standard tricep exercise are extensions and pressing movements: overhead triceps extension with dumbbell, dumbbell kickbacks, close-grip bench, seated dips, etc. Hope this helps

I know that reducing the fat will be a HUGE help but toning everything will be the cherry on top!:) I appreciate it!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    OK - I asked this on another thread but I'm kind of interested what you might think about my heart rate? :)

I just got my HRM in this week. So, I have actually started watching my heart rate a little more than normal. I'm a little concerned that my hr might be a little too high according to the on line charts. I guess I'm curious if this is normal or something I might need to get checked out? I'm not new to exercising but I do prefer lifting weights more than cardio stuff. I typically do 2 - 3 days of cardio on a good week. I have been doing this for over 6 months. OK some stats...
    Age - 31
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

I'm certain my HRM is pretty accurate because the elliptical machine will also range from 185 - 190's when I'm not using my HRM. If my heart rate is alright what am I doing to my body with it this high? Am I burning fat or because it is not in the desirable range am I damaging my heart? I'm trying to make it healthier not damage it :)
    Thanks!!

Both of those are extremely high! Those are anaerobic numbers. No way that could be right for 60 minutes. The monitor definitely must be off. If you could workout for 60 minutes at a heart rate of 186 average, then you need to be on the U.S Olympic team. Hell, the simple equation for MAX heart rate is 220 minus an individual's age....and that's MAX!...as in you're basically going as hard as you would go if there was a killer chasing you! Go here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm and calculate your own if you want to just know all your target zones.
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Assuming healthy, I would reco 2000 stat for the next two weeks and then seeing where you're at. You've already done a great job by the way, so pat yourself on the back for that. But yes, try 2000 spot on for the next two weeks, and then hit me back with the results yeh.

Sounds great. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thank you!
  • mazari
    mazari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft7" 138lb slim arms & legs 30 inch waist, hips 34 I want to shift love handles flabby hips & have been considering
    lifting heavy.

I have been this weight and measurements for years although recently gained around 7lb but I am now 47 so don't want to get
    fatter so if I was lifting would that start to burn the fat around my hips??

Big thank you in advance
  • justdoit_steph
    Options

Age - 31
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

Thanks!!

Both of those are extremely high! Those are anaerobic numbers. No way that could be right for 60 minutes. The monitor definitely must be off. If you could workout for 60 minutes at a heart rate of 186 average, then you need to be on the U.S Olympic team. Hell, the simple equation for MAX heart rate is 220 minus an individual's age....and that's MAX!...as in you're basically going as hard as you would go if there was a killer chasing you! Go here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm and calculate your own if you want to just know all your target zones.
    That is what I would think because the numbers are so crazy but the same HR will show on the elliptical not just my HRM. I have even had my friends get on the same machine and their numbers are much lower. I am by no means ready for the US Olympic team (haha) BUT I don't understand why my HR is showing to be this high . I guess it kind of freaks me out to do cardio but I would have not thought anything about it if I hadn't looked on line to see what my hr range should be during exercise. I feel absolutely fine while exercising (except for the normal out of breath feeling most people have while exercising) so you think it would be ok to keep going. I have a doctors appointment in July but I don't really want to put off cardio for that long if not needed. Before I had my HRM and I would put it on a certain setting on the elliptical it would always lower my intensity level because my HR would get high so I always had to put it on the quick start setting. Thanks for your response. I have enjoyed reading all the post and have found it very helpful. :)
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to today's thread. Sure going to miss you when you're gone. You've been FANTASTIC yeh.

When I'm gone?....Is somebody planning to assassinate me?..... ;D

ROFL No, but unless you've joined the staff, I thought you would not be doing this beyond these few days. I hope you're with us FOREVERRRRRRR.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    My sister lost alot of weight over the past yr she is currently 135lbs eating 1200 calories. Her previous weight was close to 200lbs. She does cardio and some kickboxing and stuff. However, she still has alot of excess skin around her abdomen, arms and thighs. I have less weight to lose but I am wondering how I can prevent that from happening or tips for getting rid of it. My only guess is more weight training exercises?
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bumping part 2...so much good information on here!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    My sister lost alot of weight over the past yr she is currently 135lbs eating 1200 calories. Her previous weight was close to 200lbs. She does cardio and some kickboxing and stuff. However, she still has alot of excess skin around her abdomen, arms and thighs. I have less weight to lose but I am wondering how I can prevent that from happening or tips for getting rid of it. My only guess is more weight training exercises?

In the words of Arnold: "It's simple, if it jiggles it's fat." Keep dieting down.
  • kymberly8504
    Options
    So repetitive, I know. I need confirmation on my calorie intake.

Height: 5'6
    CW: 217 lbs
    GW: 150 lbs

I work in an office - never at my desk, l lift files/ boxes, always walking around and what not - I don't lay down until it's time for bed. I set my calorie intake for 1800 - eating back exercise calories - sound about right? I want to lose weight, but most of all I want to be healthy and I am in it for the long haul so I am not looking for a crazy weekly pound droppage - 2lbs would be great, but it's not going to make me stop eating better and working out.

I started at 1600, but researched about how not to eat below your BMR so I upped it to 1800 - feels good, but by 2:00pm/3:00pm I am running on fumes and find it hard to get the energy to go work out after work around 5:30pm and then I end up going to bed and feeling guilty that I didn't go.

My diary is open so you can make comments - maybe I am not eating the right food.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Guys, some of you are makin' this thing way too complicated yeh. Keep it simple. If you're losing, then you're golden. If you're not, then slowly increase activity and or decrease caloric intake until you start losing at the desired rate. If somebody asks me is this enough, my first question back is always going to be: ARE YOU LOSING? If not, then my second question would be how long you've been at said level of activity and calories. The calculators are not foolproof, and depending on the individual, MANY other extraneous variables that cannot be factored in play a roll into whether you're losing or not. Above all remember: METABOLISM RULES EVERYTHING. Some of us have faster and some of us slower metabolisms. We're all unique and that is why we can't just just subscribe to a cookie cutter number of calories for a specific weight and gender. Me for instance; I have the metabolism of a cheetah basically. I have a mate who is a ripped *kitten* too. Same height and basically same weight as me, but he'll be the first to say that if he tried to keep up with me intake-wise, he'd balloon up by the week. He's not an ectomorph like me, he's more meso-endo. We all have our genetic strengths and weakness, but we can all build muscle and lose fat. It is just easier and harder for certain individuals, and once again, that's where you we track and reevalute in order to test where we fall in the spectrum. Why do I feel I just blogged here?..... Yes, KEEP IT SIMPLE.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    So repetitive, I know. I need confirmation on my calorie intake.

Height: 5'6
    CW: 217 lbs
    GW: 150 lbs

I work in an office - never at my desk, l lift files/ boxes, always walking around and what not - I don't lay down until it's time for bed. I set my calorie intake for 1800 - eating back exercise calories - sound about right? I want to lose weight, but most of all I want to be healthy and I am in it for the long haul so I am not looking for a crazy weekly pound droppage - 2lbs would be great, but it's not going to make me stop eating better and working out.

I started at 1600, but researched about how not to eat below your BMR so I upped it to 1800 - feels good, but by 2:00pm/3:00pm I am running on fumes and find it hard to get the energy to go work out after work around 5:30pm and then I end up going to bed and feeling guilty that I didn't go.

My diary is open so you can make comments - maybe I am not eating the right food.

Thanks in advance for any input.

What's wrong with eating below your bmr?..... I've done it hundreds of times. I understand you on the not having the energy to go workout, but that's just how it is. You'll get use to it though. Don't feel guilty, just change the behavior. There are days when my energy levels are down....and on those days, I tell myself to just have fun with it. With dance, sometimes we get so caught up in drilling technique that we lose track of why we started our journey in the first place; the love of dancing. On days when I feel myself not looking forward to practice, my partner and I we throw working technique away for the day and just enjoy dancing with each other. Usually by next practice our moods are great and we're ready to tackle it in the streets yeh. Showing up is 90% of it.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    A great article on metabolism for everyone. #GETEDUCATED ;)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/make-most-your-metabolism
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    [/quote]

In the words of Arnold: "It's simple, if it jiggles it's fat." Keep dieting down.
    [/quote]
    Yes I realize it is fat, lol. But she has already gotten so thin in my opinion.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    o.O My cat just jumped on the counter and started eating leftover tuna from the can I left there a minute ago. Lol, what a little brat.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    How do you get rid of cellulite? I've even seen marathon runners with it. Is it mostly genetic?

I've got 23%bf at 5'9 and 149 lbs and the backs of my legs are covered with the stuff :(
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options

[/quote]
    Yes I realize it is fat, lol. But she has already gotten so thin in my opinion.
    [/quote]

It's up to each of us to decide what body we want to be. I have some female friends who think I'm to big, others too small. I'm mostly attracted to tall women with runway proportions. My best mate he is into petite girls with as he says "that proper thickness." If a person is lean and like the low body fat but wants to have a little more size in certain areas, this is where strength training shines. We have so many tools out there to create OUR ideal body. It truly is about how you want YOUR sculpture to look.