Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    o.O My cat just jumped on the counter and started eating leftover tuna from the can I left there a minute ago. Lol, what a little brat.

Lol. Damn *****.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    How do you get rid of cellulite? I've even seen marathon runners with it. Is it mostly genetic?

I've got 23%bf at 5'9 and 149 lbs and the backs of my legs are covered with the stuff :(

Easy. Diet and weight/fatloss. Next question please. :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    OK - I asked this on another thread but I'm kind of interested what you might think about my heart rate? :)

I just got my HRM in this week. So, I have actually started watching my heart rate a little more than normal. I'm a little concerned that my hr might be a little too high according to the on line charts. I guess I'm curious if this is normal or something I might need to get checked out? I'm not new to exercising but I do prefer lifting weights more than cardio stuff. I typically do 2 - 3 days of cardio on a good week. I have been doing this for over 6 months. OK some stats...
    Age - 31
    Time Duration - 60 min on elliptical
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

I'm certain my HRM is pretty accurate because the elliptical machine will also range from 185 - 190's when I'm not using my HRM. If my heart rate is alright what am I doing to my body with it this high? Am I burning fat or because it is not in the desirable range am I damaging my heart? I'm trying to make it healthier not damage it :)
    Thanks!!

Both of those are extremely high! Those are anaerobic numbers. No way that could be right for 60 minutes. The monitor definitely must be off. If you could workout for 60 minutes at a heart rate of 186 average, then you need to be on the U.S Olympic team. Hell, the simple equation for MAX heart rate is 220 minus an individual's age....and that's MAX!...as in you're basically going as hard as you would go if there was a killer chasing you! Go here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm and calculate your own if you want to just know all your target zones.
    That is what I would think because the numbers are so crazy but the same HR will show on the elliptical not just my HRM. I have even had my friends get on the same machine and their numbers are much lower. I am by no means ready for the US Olympic team (haha) BUT I don't understand why my HR is showing to be this high . I guess it kind of freaks me out to do cardio but I would have not thought anything about it if I hadn't looked on line to see what my hr range should be during exercise. I feel absolutely fine while exercising (except for the normal out of breath feeling most people have while exercising) so you think it would be ok to keep going. I have a doctors appointment in July but I don't really want to put off cardio for that long if not needed. Before I had my HRM and I would put it on a certain setting on the elliptical it would always lower my intensity level because my HR would get high so I always had to put it on the quick start setting. Thanks for your response. I have enjoyed reading all the post and have found it very helpful. :)

I know its not my thread, but you could go old fashioned and just count your pulse in your neck (thumb has a pulse of its own, so don't use the thumb (pointer and flipper offer fingers). for 15 seconds, multiply by 4.

My turn. I made a thread but nobody seems to have a legitimate sourced answer. How much lean mass can a woman in a modest calorie deficit put on. My admittedly crude measurements have me putting on about a pound of muscle (while losing like 4 pounds of fat) in 2.5 months. I was a return strength trainer after a few months off, so it could be newbie gains I guess, but it has been consistent through the 2.5 months (not all in the first month or something).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Current stats:

31 year old male, 5'10" 218 lbs. 25.5% bodyfat. Used to be 335 lbs and lost the weight. Still have a bit to go, though.

Two questions:

1. According to my doctor, based on my frame type and LBM, my target weight/goal weight is in the range of 190 lbs which is still WELL outside of what the BMI would call the healthy range for my height. It's a good ~30 or so lbs over, in fact. How is this possible?

2. My gains are mainly functional in nature. While I do want to become healthy and lose enough fat to fit into the riding suit I bought, I frankly couldn't care less about what I look like without a shirt on, whether or not I'm "ripped" or anything. I do want to be strong, fast, agile, and quick with excellent balance and good health without adding unnecessary size. What I enjoy: Bodyweight resistance training (usually with a suspension trainer), medicine ball training, jump rope, doing "drill" style cardio. What I don't enjoy: Weight training, running, using machines, long duration endurance cardio. Is there a way of reaching my goals while sticking strictly to what I enjoy? Bear in mind I have a neurological disorder that greatly hinders my balance, coordination, and motor control.

EDIT: I also very much enjoy Plyometric training.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    OK - I asked this on another thread but I'm kind of interested what you might think about my heart rate? :)

I just got my HRM in this week. So, I have actually started watching my heart rate a little more than normal. I'm a little concerned that my hr might be a little too high according to the on line charts. I guess I'm curious if this is normal or something I might need to get checked out? I'm not new to exercising but I do prefer lifting weights more than cardio stuff. I typically do 2 - 3 days of cardio on a good week. I have been doing this for over 6 months. OK some stats...
    Age - 31
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

I'm certain my HRM is pretty accurate because the elliptical machine will also range from 185 - 190's when I'm not using my HRM. If my heart rate is alright what am I doing to my body with it this high? Am I burning fat or because it is not in the desirable range am I damaging my heart? I'm trying to make it healthier not damage it :)
    Thanks!!

Both of those are extremely high! Those are anaerobic numbers. No way that could be right for 60 minutes. The monitor definitely must be off. If you could workout for 60 minutes at a heart rate of 186 average, then you need to be on the U.S Olympic team. Hell, the simple equation for MAX heart rate is 220 minus an individual's age....and that's MAX!...as in you're basically going as hard as you would go if there was a killer chasing you! Go here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm and calculate your own if you want to just know all your target zones.
    That is what I would think because the numbers are so crazy but the same HR will show on the elliptical not just my HRM. I have even had my friends get on the same machine and their numbers are much lower. I am by no means ready for the US Olympic team (haha) BUT I don't understand why my HR is showing to be this high . I guess it kind of freaks me out to do cardio but I would have not thought anything about it if I hadn't looked on line to see what my hr range should be during exercise. I feel absolutely fine while exercising (except for the normal out of breath feeling most people have while exercising) so you think it would be ok to keep going. I have a doctors appointment in July but I don't really want to put off cardio for that long if not needed. Before I had my HRM and I would put it on a certain setting on the elliptical it would always lower my intensity level because my HR would get high so I always had to put it on the quick start setting. Thanks for your response. I have enjoyed reading all the post and have found it very helpful. :)

I know its not my thread, but you could go old fashioned and just count your pulse in your neck (thumb has a pulse of its own, so don't use the thumb (pointer and flipper offer fingers). for 15 seconds, multiply by 4.

My turn. I made a thread but nobody seems to have a legitimate sourced answer. How much lean mass can a woman in a modest calorie deficit put on. My admittedly crude measurements have me putting on about a pound of muscle (while losing like 4 pounds of fat) in 2.5 months. I was a return strength trainer after a few months off, so it could be newbie gains I guess, but it has been consistent through the 2.5 months (not all in the first month or something).

You hit it on the head.....newbie gains. They'll plateau VERY soon if they haven't already. I'd either focus on bulking or cutting, one or the other. How much mass are you looking to put on? Take a 5'5 female for instance. She could get up to around 130 ripped(around 12%) natural doing everything right for a few years.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old, female, 5"6". Current weight: 139 lbs. BF: 28%. My measurements are:

C: 37.5"
    W" 31"
    H" 37.5"
    Thigh - 20"

I have my daily calories set to 1,400 and I eat back my exercise calories. I work out 3-4 days/week, with a combination of a 50 minute interval training program w/elliptical and various exercises (kettlebell, exercise ball, squats, planks, crunches) and Jillian Michaels DVDs (Ripped in 30 and 30 Day Shred). I use 2 5 lb. weights with the DVDs and a 20 lb. kettlebell with the interval training program.

My question is this: My hip to waist ratio is too high. How can I reduce my BF% and my waist and chest size? I have only lost 2-3 inches from my chest after a 35 lb. weight loss. I am considering trying heavy weights. Should I start now, or reduce my weight a bit more. And what should I set my calorie intake to if I add weights? I also had a total hip replacement 2 years ago, so I need to avoid high impact exercises.

Thanks!

My question is this:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Age - 31
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

Thanks!!

You hit it on the head.....newbie gains. They'll plateau VERY soon if they haven't already. I'd either focus on bulking or cutting, one or the other. How much mass are you looking to put on? Take a 5'5 female for instance. She could get up to around 130 ripped(around 12%) natural doing everything right for a few years.

I don't really have numerical goals, I'm not really trying to put on mass, except that it means I have less fat to lose. I don't really have a goal weight, but I think I probably need to lose around 5-10 pounds to get to ~17% body fat, which is about as ripped as I would want to be. But since I don't DXA or bodpod to find my body fat, I could be bull****ting those numbers. 12% is far too low for a woman. Maybe for the day she is on stage, but not maintainable. I read about a bodybuilder that maintained 14% but she said she felt like **** the whole time.
  • kizzy2005
    kizzy2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a baby 7yrs ago and I still have that little pouch and have gained a few extra weight since then, Im trying to lose about 10lbs and flatten my stomach by august, do you think thats possible and what types of work outs should i be doing for how long to attain this goal
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Current stats:

31 year old male, 5'10" 218 lbs. 25.5% bodyfat. Used to be 335 lbs and lost the weight. Still have a bit to go, though.

Two questions:

1. According to my doctor, based on my frame type and LBM, my target weight/goal weight is in the range of 190 lbs which is still WELL outside of what the BMI would call the healthy range for my height. It's a good ~30 or so lbs over, in fact. How is this possible?

2. My gains are mainly functional in nature. While I do want to become healthy and lose enough fat to fit into the riding suit I bought, I frankly couldn't care less about what I look like without a shirt on, whether or not I'm "ripped" or anything. I do want to be strong, fast, agile, and quick with excellent balance and good health without adding unnecessary size. What I enjoy: Bodyweight resistance training (usually with a suspension trainer), medicine ball training, jump rope, doing "drill" style cardio. What I don't enjoy: Weight training, running, using machines, long duration endurance cardio. Is there a way of reaching my goals while sticking strictly to what I enjoy? Bear in mind I have a neurological disorder that greatly hinders my balance, coordination, and motor control.

EDIT: I also very much enjoy Plyometric training.

1. BMI is garbage. Don't go by it. It doesn't take into consideration body comp. You take two people of exactly the same weight, but one is 20% bodyfat, and the other 12%, and the bmi will give them both the same reading. For me it say I need to be 155 pounds, and that at my current weight of 180, I'm overweight. It would rank somebody the same height as me at 155 pounds and 14% body fat better than it would me.

2. Yes, you can increase all of what you want with what you're doing. You're probably not going to be an olympian of couse, but you can definitely get stronger, faster, and more agile. Just train them more
  • crloanzon
    crloanzon Posts: 2
    Options
    I TOTALLY hit a plateau and am loosing motivation. Now that I have reached the 130 I thought I was going to be happy at I want to aim for 125 now. Height is 5ft 3 inches. I think 125 is best for me as I have a regular size bottom and chest of 36D. What can I do to get my metabolism to start up again and burn off those last 4 pounds. Seems so little to loose but I have only lost 1 pound in almost 3 weeks.

I still see the significant change in the way my clothes fit and my pants and shorts are falling off of me. Please help and thanks in advance,

Cat ;0)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I had a baby 7yrs ago and I still have that little pouch and have gained a few extra weight since then, Im trying to lose about 10lbs and flatten my stomach by august, do you think thats possible and what types of work outs should i be doing for how long to attain this goal

Ten pounds by August?....easily possible if doing everything right.
  • itsmed0nth8
    Options
    ITS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO MAINTAIN A 1200 CALORIE DIET I SAID ONCE NOW I FEEL LIKE I AM FORCING MYSELF TO MEET THE REQUIREMENT. JUST STARTED TRAINING AND WHY IS IT I CANT HAVE PEANUT BUTTER ON TOAST.? I WAS TOLD NO PEANUT BUTTER AND LESS CARB MORE PROTEIN. i FEEL LIKE I AM EATING A LOT OF GRASS LATELY. ANY NEW MENU COMBINATIONS NOT TO FEEL THIS WAY:sad: :sad:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Okay, and this is something I've heard mixed opinions on: When doing full body training doing calisthenics, do you still have to wait the 48 hours to do it again or can it be done daily? I enjoy doing it too much to want to have to WAIT a day before I can do it again, if that makes sense =P
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am 58 years old, female, 5"6". Current weight: 139 lbs. BF: 28%. My measurements are:

C: 37.5"
    W" 31"
    H" 37.5"
    Thigh - 20"

I have my daily calories set to 1,400 and I eat back my exercise calories. I work out 3-4 days/week, with a combination of a 50 minute interval training program w/elliptical and various exercises (kettlebell, exercise ball, squats, planks, crunches) and Jillian Michaels DVDs (Ripped in 30 and 30 Day Shred). I use 2 5 lb. weights with the DVDs and a 20 lb. kettlebell with the interval training program.

My question is this: My hip to waist ratio is too high. How can I reduce my BF% and my waist and chest size? I have only lost 2-3 inches from my chest after a 35 lb. weight loss. I am considering trying heavy weights. Should I start now, or reduce my weight a bit more. And what should I set my calorie intake to if I add weights? I also had a total hip replacement 2 years ago, so I need to avoid high impact exercises.

Thanks!

My question is this:

Who says your hip to waist ratio is too high? In answer to the question though, you reduce body fat via a caloric deficit. Women carry most of their stubborn body fat on the backs of their arms, their hips and their thighs. As far as the strength training, I'm definitely a huge advocate. Ease into it though, and make sure you get clearance from your doc before starting any new program.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    ITS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO MAINTAIN A 1200 CALORIE DIET I SAID ONCE NOW I FEEL LIKE I AM FORCING MYSELF TO MEET THE REQUIREMENT. JUST STARTED TRAINING AND WHY IS IT I CANT HAVE PEANUT BUTTER ON TOAST.? I WAS TOLD NO PEANUT BUTTER AND LESS CARB MORE PROTEIN. i FEEL LIKE I AM EATING A LOT OF GRASS LATELY. ANY NEW MENU COMBINATIONS NOT TO FEEL THIS WAY:sad: :sad:

Review my food diary and subtract the protein bars. You'll see that without them I fall pretty close to that range and I eat a LOT of great tasting food. I mostly only eat the protein bars because I need them to INCREASE my calorie intake to what is needed to sustain my activity level without shoveling more food into my mouth than my stomach can handle.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options

Age - 31
    Average HR - 186
    Maximum HR - 194

Thanks!!

I don't really have numerical goals, I'm not really trying to put on mass, except that it means I have less fat to lose. I don't really have a goal weight, but I think I probably need to lose around 5-10 pounds to get to ~17% body fat, which is about as ripped as I would want to be. But since I don't DXA or bodpod to find my body fat, I could be bull****ting those numbers. 12% is far too low for a woman. Maybe for the day she is on stage, but not maintainable. I read about a bodybuilder that maintained 14% but she said she felt like **** the whole time.

I use an extreme example on the bodyfat to show what the possibilities are. It IS possible to maintain that though. I have a female athlete I train who whether you call it genetics or just mindset, she maintains that pretty easily and looks great. There are some female high/long jumpers out there who when they compete they look like they might even be at TEN percent! Once again though, these are obviously exceptional people.
  • HaleyPrime
    HaleyPrime Posts: 2
    Options
    Can someone help me get out of this weight loss plateau? I've lost 15 lbs already but now I'm stuck, I've upped my calories cause my workouts are much longer an harder but it's not helping.
  • Igotgoals2019
    Igotgoals2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi again!!:) Any idea about the bodybugg's functionality??And if not do you know any other good stuff that tracks calories burnt and miles etc accurately???
    And a good Pedometer???
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It's up to each of us to decide what body we want to be. I have some female friends who think I'm to big, others too small. I'm mostly attracted to tall women with runway proportions. My best mate he is into petite girls with as he says "that proper thickness." If a person is lean and like the low body fat but wants to have a little more size in certain areas, this is where strength training shines. We have so many tools out there to create OUR ideal body. It truly is about how you want YOUR sculpture to look.

That is true, my weight goal is a little higher than hers. I like my curves, my main goal is to improve my health and decrease risk factors for disease. But I wouldn't mind a more rockin' bod. haha. Who knows maybe once I reach 140 I'll change my mind.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Will be on again tomorrow morning to catch up with everyone. Have a rockin' evening yeh! Much thanks for all the love.