MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello runners!! I've had a crazy week w/ my kiddos and trying to rest up for tomorrow's Olympic tri!! My rest y'day consisted of picking up my 10yo dd from church camp w/ a possible broken ankle. After x-rays we learned it is just a sprain!! But still swollen and painful. Poor kiddo!! She's a trooper though, and went back to camp last night! (today's her last day anyway)

I feel ready for tomorrow... it's going to be my longest tri yet! Will post an update when I get a chance!

Jess
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

2) Wide toe box shoes help with blisters on outside of toes (saucony, new balance are my personal choices)

I second the wider toe box. I love my Asics GT-2140's. They are the only shoes that don't give me blisters or black toenails. :noway: I've never used vaseline, just body glide.

Glad to hear that maybe I have made a good shoe choice! Woohoo! I used them this morning and things didn't get worse -- but the damage is already done. So now it's a matter of healing without making things worse. I did enjoy the support in my heel area. I did get a bargain -- normally they sold for $100 but they rang up for $85 and I had a $10 coupon -- so I got them for $75. the salesman put the shoes in the wrong box so when they were scanned they were cheaper -- happy day! :bigsmile:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good luck Jess!!! :flowerforyou: We're all cheering for you!!!! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Glad to hear that maybe I have made a good shoe choice! Woohoo! I used them this morning and things didn't get worse -- but the damage is already done. So now it's a matter of healing without making things worse. I did enjoy the support in my heel area. I did get a bargain -- normally they sold for $100 but they rang up for $85 and I had a $10 coupon -- so I got them for $75. the salesman put the shoes in the wrong box so when they were scanned they were cheaper -- happy day! :bigsmile:

I've worn them since they were GT-2110's! I usually buy online. runningwarehouse.com or kellysrunningwarehouse.com is usually a lot cheaper than in the store. YAY for cheaper shoes! :bigsmile:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Did a 5 mile tempo run last night, and it was really tough with the heat and humidity (90+% humidity at almost 7 pm= not amused), but I stuck it out. I'm off today but really looking forward to my 7 miles this weekend. I can't even believe I just said that.

Jess, good luck on your tri!

Have a great Friday! :flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Good morning everyone...

Just got done 10 miles, and I am BEAT!!! The last mile back to the house is all uphill. I think I have to rethink the route to get rid of that part. LOL

Have a good weekend!!! :drinker:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Rest day for me. Looking forward to 7 miles tomorrow.:tongue:

Jess - Can't wait to hear how your tri goes!

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Good morning buddies!
    Is there something seriously wrong with us that we look forward to running these long distances? haha. I was so excited when I went to bed last night because I couldn't wait to do my long run.
    You guys are such motivation and inspiration to me.
    I started running on the treadmill at the gym last year around the holidays. I never dreamed in a million years that I would actually be running races and training for a marathon.
    For you runners just starting out, I used to struggle to walk one mile on the treadmill, you will be so amazed at how strong you get :flowerforyou:

Kechie- enjoy your rest day my friend and have a wonderful long run tomorrow.

I ran a milestone for me today- 12 miles. I keep thinking to myself, just a little over a mile and I will have run an unofficial half marathon. I love my long runs. Today was my first experience of eating a little something during the run, after mile 7 I had a few sports beans by Jelly Belly, orange flavor. They were yummy and my stomach felt great, I'm still afraid of the GU gels at this point but I'll try them sometime. Oh and I bought my first ever compression garment, a shirt from Under Armour. No chafing, rubbing and dry as can be, it's pretty awesome. Everytime my Garmin would beep after another mile, I just grinned to myself and thought, "girl you have come a long way"
    Hugs to you guys
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I never dreamed in a million years that I would actually be running races and training for a marathon.

Totally agreed. I started Couch to 5K as a way to help me lose my last 3 pounds and never thought I would LOVE running and train for a half!

Here's to all of us!

Cross trained today...kickboxing class at the gym. Long run - 7 miles- tomorrow. So excited.

Hope you're all having a great day!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Just about 8.25 today. It was pretty tough after 3 days of driving, sitting through lectures and too much restaurant food! :frown: (college orientation time!) But thanks to y'all, I am learning there are good runs and bad runs...that doesn't make me a good or bad PERSON that day. I was also struck by the fact that a year ago I'm not sure I could have walked for 90 minutes and today I was running for that long!
    I did find a new area which needs to be body glided for those distance runs though....ouch!
    Happy weekend everyone!

Becky
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm a little late in this group, but was wondering if I could still join. I am someone who has never really enjoyed running (mostly because I have never been in good enough shape to), but have a goal of running a 5k before winter. I have just started training and have struggled, but been able to run a full mile without having to walk. I easily start something, and a week or two later am done with it. I think a lot of it is because it is hard to start something without support or strong motivation.

I've been reading your posts and you guys are awesome! I would LOVE to get into running, as it is obviously great for my body, but would also give me something to work hard for. If I could be running 12 miles a day in a year, I would be thrilled! :happy:

Congrats on everything you all have accomplished and I hope that some of your success and motivation will rub off on me!:smile:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee and welcome!!! Of course we would love to have you join us. It is awesome and such a great thread for motivation and support. Running a full mile without stopping is a HUGE accomplishment and one that I am finding out very few people do. You should be very proud of yourself and things are only going to get better. You are young, fit and healthy and before you know it, you'll be competing in races. We have some wonderful veteran runners on this thread that have helped so much with tips on everything from nutrition, to training, to gear.
    We can't wait to share stories with you :flowerforyou:
    Hey guys! I'm a little late in this group, but was wondering if I could still join. I am someone who has never really enjoyed running (mostly because I have never been in good enough shape to), but have a goal of running a 5k before winter. I have just started training and have struggled, but been able to run a full mile without having to walk. I easily start something, and a week or two later am done with it. I think a lot of it is because it is hard to start something without support or strong motivation.

I've been reading your posts and you guys are awesome! I would LOVE to get into running, as it is obviously great for my body, but would also give me something to work hard for. If I could be running 12 miles a day in a year, I would be thrilled! :happy:

Congrats on everything you all have accomplished and I hope that some of your success and motivation will rub off on me!:smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well... I did it!! My first Olympic distance triathlon!!!!!!! 1.5K (.9 mile) swim, 40K (24+ mile bike), and 10K (6.2 mile) run. Felt great and even though the temp was 57* at the start (in July, isn't that crazy?? :huh: ), the water temp was 76*.

I finished in 2 hrs, 57 min, 42 seconds. My goal was 3:05 and my secret goal was to go sub-3. I blew that out of the water!!!! Woohoo!! :drinker:

Swim: 38.29 (2:21/ 100yd - I am not the strongest swimmer, so I was happy to be under 40 min!)
    T1: 1:47
    Bike: 1:20:54 (18.4 mph)
    T2: 1:44
    Run: 54:46 (8:49 pace)

It was pretty hilly and windy out there, so I'm even happier with my times! And the course was long, according to my Garmin I ran 6.7 (8:08 pace if you go by that!!!!).

Happy to be done!!!!

Jess
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    Well... I did it!! My first Olympic distance triathlon!!!!!!! 1.5K (.9 mile) swim, 40K (24+ mile bike), and 10K (6.2 mile) run. Felt great and even though the temp was 57* at the start (in July, isn't that crazy?? :huh: ), the water temp was 76*.

I finished in 2 hrs, 57 min, 42 seconds. My goal was 3:05 and my secret goal was to go sub-3. I blew that out of the water!!!! Woohoo!! :drinker:

Swim: 38.29 (2:21/ 100yd - I am not the strongest swimmer, so I was happy to be under 40 min!)
    T1: 1:47
    Bike: 1:20:54 (18.4 mph)
    T2: 1:44
    Run: 54:46 (8:49 pace)

It was pretty hilly and windy out there, so I'm even happier with my times! And the course was long, according to my Garmin I ran 6.7 (8:08 pace if you go by that!!!!).

Happy to be done!!!!

Jess

Congratulations!!:flowerforyou: That's great!:happy:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Jess-you are truly an inspiration!! You rock!!

I "suffered" through a 6 mile run/walk today. I had to go to a bridal shower at a park so I decided to use mapmyrun.com and found one that left from the park. It was seriously hilly hell for me! I cant believe someone could actually run this!!

I am thinking of taking a couple of days off. I have actually had to stop and walk through almost all of my runs this week. I am so stress out about finances since Im recently divorced. I am tough on myself and am trying to say I am a wimp but I am seriously on dead legs right now. Any suggestions on how many days etc? Thanks!
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Congratulations Jess!:drinker: You are truly an inspiration!!! :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    Options
    oops guster girl! I stole your comment! Sorry! :smile:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Congrats Jess! You should be so proud.

Nice 12K this morning - I'm definitely feeling back in the traning mode. Which is a good thing because it is less than 5 weeks till my 10 miler.:wink:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me this morning. Great day for a run here in NC. 55% humidity. Nice...

Nathan water bottle review continued:
    Today I tried the same hand position on my other hand. I was more comfortable wearing the bottle on my left hand. The bad news: Because of the "race cap" feature, this bottle does not squirt forcefully enough to be used as a weapon. For those of you who aren't chased by dogs on your route, squirting water is a good deterrent for some dogs. Warning, some dogs like being squirted. For those who don't like it, I've found a good squirt to the ears, eyes, or nose works best.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Welcome Renee:flowerforyou:

Awesome job Jess:drinker::smokin: :drinker::smokin: :drinker: