MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm not sure if I belong in this group or not (I've never really considered myself a runner because I don't have a lot of distance or speed behind me) but I've been reading the posts for a few weeks and thought I'd like to join if there's still room. I think everyone here is great motivation for this non-runner wanting to run.

I started running regularly again at the beginning of May and before that it had only been a year I had been running. It was sporadic at best for the past 2 years because my running partner got pregnant and stopped running. I tried to run by myself which I actually enjoy but it was hard to be accountable only to myself. So now my running partner is back and we are struggling to make progress. We can run 3 miles without stopping but it is at a really slow pace and neither one of us knows what to do next. We'd like to try a half next year but we are both pretty scared at the idea of it. We're not sure if we should try to speed up first or up the miles. We've never run more than 3.5 miles ever.

Oh, one more thing, I'd REALLY like to enjoy running. Right now I only feel good once we've finished and that could just be relief to have it over with. Eventually I'll enjoy the actual run, right?

Welcome to the group Emmyleww.

In time you will enjoy running. In fact on days you can't do it you will actually miss it. :smile: As for right now I would just work on running your 3 miles until you get a little more comfortable with it. When you start having conversations and you aren't winded you can either pick of the pace or gradually improve your distance. Good luck with your training. When is the 1/2 you would like to do next year?
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm not sure if I belong in this group or not (I've never really considered myself a runner because I don't have a lot of distance or speed behind me) but I've been reading the posts for a few weeks and thought I'd like to join if there's still room. I think everyone here is great motivation for this non-runner wanting to run.

I started running regularly again at the beginning of May and before that it had only been a year I had been running. It was sporadic at best for the past 2 years because my running partner got pregnant and stopped running. I tried to run by myself which I actually enjoy but it was hard to be accountable only to myself. So now my running partner is back and we are struggling to make progress. We can run 3 miles without stopping but it is at a really slow pace and neither one of us knows what to do next. We'd like to try a half next year but we are both pretty scared at the idea of it. We're not sure if we should try to speed up first or up the miles. We've never run more than 3.5 miles ever.

Oh, one more thing, I'd REALLY like to enjoy running. Right now I only feel good once we've finished and that could just be relief to have it over with. Eventually I'll enjoy the actual run, right?

WELCOME -- of course you belong! I still don't consider myself a runner and I run about 30-35 miles a week! As for loving the act of running -- on good days I do -- but on bad days I just try to remember how great it feels when I'm done and that's what keeps me going.

I agree with Sherry about the mileage. If distance is your goal than continue at your current distance until it's comfortable and then start adding. I've been told you should increase your mileage no more than 10%. Looking forward to hearing about your accomplishments!!!

Good luck -- and happy running!
    Julie
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check in to keep myself accountable! I'm still running every other day, but no more than 3 miles. It's such a mental game!! I feel like I could do more, but I just struggle with forcing myself to finish.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Just wanted to check in to keep myself accountable! I'm still running every other day, but no more than 3 miles. It's such a mental game!! I feel like I could do more, but I just struggle with forcing myself to finish.

Have you tried running with a partner or finding a running group? I have found that since I have to run by myself for rehab I hate it. I usually run with a group and it is much better.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Hi Sherry!

I'm so glad you're back in action and you're taking your time to ease yourself back in. That's a smart way to go about things.

Today I'm resting. I'm buying a new pair of running shoes today. Awww the excitement! Did a quick bike ride with my daughter this morning, then some swimming this afternoon. Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Heather. :flowerforyou:

How is your training going for the ING distance run? Have you run at PVP recently? I haven't been there in a while but I am trying to get my DH to go over for a bike ride.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Did Couch to 5k week 4 day 1 today- in the heat and humidity, somewhat uphill :sick:

Usually, I try to run around 7pm to avoid the heat, but that wasn't an option today. It was very difficult for me, but I did it!! :bigsmile: :drinker:

However, towards the end, I was feeling pretty weak and my stomach wasn't feeling quite right. Do any of you know (maybe from experience?) anything about this? I *think* it's not uncommon when you're pushing yourself so hard, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do?

• hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherry!

I'm so glad you're back in action and you're taking your time to ease yourself back in. That's a smart way to go about things.

Today I'm resting. I'm buying a new pair of running shoes today. Awww the excitement! Did a quick bike ride with my daughter this morning, then some swimming this afternoon. Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Heather. :flowerforyou:

How is your training going for the ING distance run? Have you run at PVP recently? I haven't been there in a while but I am trying to get my DH to go over for a bike ride.

It's going pretty good - thanks for asking. I've been pretty much sticking to the Runner's World training plan. I stray somedays when I just don't have the time to squeeze in a run due to kids' activities, work, life.

I'm at PVP almost every weekend and then some. I mostly always incorporate at least one loop around the lake for my long run. The lake is 3 miles from my house, so a lot of times I'll run to the lake, do a loop and come back, depending on my long run distance. I was there yesterday. I hope I run into you there soon! It really is an enjoyable place to run.

Take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and advice Sherry and Julie, I think we will stick with the 3 miles for now then gradually increase the mileage.

The half we're thinking about is in Sept 2010. On our run today (3 miles) we talked about training for a 10k in the mean time which we'd have to figure out when and where one is. We thought it would be best to have a goal part way through since the half is over a year away.
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options

You're right, everyone here IS really motivating! I could only dream of running a half marathon...You should be proud of yourself that you can run 3 miles without stopping. I can run a mile and am thrilled when can find the motivation run/walk three! Also, I have heard that after you start running consistantly that running becomes almost necessary to your day. One of my really good friends is a cross country runner and she claims that running is her time to think and unwind and if she doesn't get her run in she goes crazy. Thats how I hope to feel someday about running, and hopefully you can, too! Good luck and I hope that this group helps you as much as it has me already! :flowerforyou:
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    As for the rest of things...

I started my training for a 5k today. This weekend I downloaded this thing called personal running trainer to my ipod. I was skeptical at first, but after my first day I found that I really enjoy it! It works well with my Nike+ and it allows me to run my intervals without having to look to see how long I have left until I change my pace. I found that I really enjoyed the experience and I have had a lot more energy tonight, too. According to this training plan, I have tomorrow off, but I think I will go to bed early tonight instead so I can get up early, do some yoga, and go for a walk. :smile:

Hope everyone had a great day!:flowerforyou:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Just ran 9 miles... I was sooo worried that I had lost it after taking a week and a half off to cycle. I think I'm going to just switch on and off with the 2 cause I still LOVE running! Happy Running all! FYI if you feel like you need a break TAKE IT.... you won't loose your stamina, I can pretty much guarantee it, obviously if you take a year off you will lol. Have a great night! :happy: Dang I'm on a high right now and its almost 9 and I have to get up at 5... ! I better calm down...

~Leash :heart:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Good morning Runners!

I have a question about those sport gels and jellybeans that people have been talking about. Do they have the same purpose as sport drinks? I have gotten up to running for over 90 minutes, so I know that I should be drinking more than plain water...but I hate Gatorade! Are these a good replacement?

Thanks!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

5 mile tempo run for me this a.m.

The goal was:
    1 slow mile to warm up (check!)
    3 miles @ 9:06 (8:57:drinker: , 9:22:ohwell: , 9:39:sick: )
    1 slow mile to cool down (check)

It was cooler outside this morning with 98% humidity.

Can't wait to hear what everyone is up to today
    -Kechie.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Good morning! 6.5 easy miles today (or they were supposed to be easy). I start out at the training pace -- but when I hit half-way I feel the need to speed up and continued to increase my pace every 1/2 mile -- so now I'm tired. I know I really need to keep with the plan but sometimes you just gotta run!!! hopeing I can still do 6.5 tomorrow. I'm in week 7 of 13 training for the 1/2 -- and am up around 40 miles/week. hope I can keep this up until race time. starting to wonder....
  • jabdye
    Options
    Good morning Runners!

I have a question about those sport gels and jellybeans that people have been talking about. Do they have the same purpose as sport drinks? I have gotten up to running for over 90 minutes, so I know that I should be drinking more than plain water...but I hate Gatorade! Are these a good replacement?

Thanks!

Wish I had the answers -- but looking forward to what everyone posts. I also run 90+ minutes and the only thing I take is one jolly rancher. I know it's wrong but I can't hold anything and run. I have tried the gu and it's just that -- gu :( My running buddy thinks they help so I'm going to give them another try. I was not prepared for them -- was expecting something a little more watery. Instead it was like eating the inside of an apple pie....granted that;s a good taste -- but not when it's 90 degrees and your 7 miles into your run!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Just ran 9 miles... I was sooo worried that I had lost it after taking a week and a half off to cycle. I think I'm going to just switch on and off with the 2 cause I still LOVE running! Happy Running all! FYI if you feel like you need a break TAKE IT.... you won't loose your stamina, I can pretty much guarantee it, obviously if you take a year off you will lol. Have a great night! :happy: Dang I'm on a high right now and its almost 9 and I have to get up at 5... ! I better calm down...

~Leash :heart:

Nothing can touch that fabulous "runner's high"!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning Runners!

Thanks!

Hi Shuntae!
    Congratulations on running for over 90 minutes.:drinker: I think jelly beans and water would be a great substitute for Gatorade if you don't need sodium. Gatorade has a lot of sodium. I am not sure if the jelly beans have sodium. When I run for 2 hours, I eat the jelly beans on the run and I drink Gatorade and chocolate milk when I get home. Gatorade has tons of flavors. Have you tried all of the different flavors?
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Finally a good tempo run for me this morning 4K and one of my fastest tempo runs since my neck surgery (that is fast in penguin terms:laugh: )

I'm also anti-gatorade it just really upsets my stomach - I'm a fan of eLoad but a lot of people find it extremely salty tasting. I also do GU for runs longer than 90 minutes the thing with GU it is definitely trial and error it took me awhile to find my flavors. I also have running buddies who do the sports beans and I do think there is an electrolyte component to them.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Finally a good tempo run for me this morning 4K and one of my fastest tempo runs since my neck surgery (that is fast in penguin terms:laugh: )

I'm also anti-gatorade it just really upsets my stomach - I'm a fan of eLoad but a lot of people find it extremely salty tasting. I also do GU for runs longer than 90 minutes the thing with GU it is definitely trial and error it took me awhile to find my flavors. I also have running buddies who do the sports beans and I do think there is an electrolyte component to them.

Congrats on the great run today! I'm thinking we'll call you happy feet (from the penguin movie) :)

getting ready to order some gu -- any suggestions on flavors?
  • jabdye
    Options
    anybody ever try Carb Boom Energy Gel???