MFP Runner's Club

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Happy Friday!

Welcome to MFP Runner's Club

We are a friendly group that posts to this post daily. We post about our runs, walks, rests, and cross training. We hope to support and inspire you on your journey.

Replies

• kechiemc
    Options
    6 mile tempo run for me this morning:
    1.5 miles slow to warm up
    3 miles @ 9:26
    1.5 miles slow to cool down

Ever feel like you sandbagged at the end of a workout? Not today. I left it all on the road today.:drinker:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I got a bike today--very excited. Supposedly this girl bought it to ride with her fiance and had depth perception issues. It sat in her garage. She had only ridden it 3 times! Got it for 75 bucks!! Took it out for a short test run! So nice to have something to cross train with now! Have a good weekend.

Im heading back to my hometown to run a race with my cousin who graduated from C25K this week. I am so excited to run with her!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Just tagging the new thread for my topics
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    gustergirl, you went for the bike... great choice. Maybe both? But does not matter, because you got a bike! woohoo. :smile: :smile:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Gustergirl- Congrats on the new bike...hope you enjoy it!

I have a question...is it normal to be completely exhausted after a long run? I mean, the kind of exhausted where I actually need to go and lay down. Case in point, today: A couple hours before I ran, I had coffee, a bagel with cream cheese and a couple pieces of sausage for breakfast, and had a big glass of water a little while before I left. Went out, did my 6 miles...had a large glass of chocolate milk and a PBJ sandwich when I came home, and had to go lay down for about an hour. I feel great since I got up, but was just beat before that.

Should I be doing something different re: hydrating or eating? Or is my body just trying to get used to being pushed like it never has?
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Congrats on the bike GusterGirl! I ride occasionally too just to mix things up a bit. Biking is a nice change of pace b/c it works some muscles you don't get to use running.

Shuntae - I remember needing an afternoon nap when I first started running. I would get up at 5 am to run and every day like clock work by about noon I would need a nap. I don't know if this is "normal" but eventually, as I got stronger, I was able to make it through the day. It sounds like you are fueling. I would also pay attention to how much you are sleeping. I used to like to stay up late but have found that I need a little extra sleep the day before my runs - the two days before if I am racing.

Did you drink water during your run?
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Congrats on the bike GusterGirl! I ride occasionally too just to mix things up a bit. Biking is a nice change of pace b/c it works some muscles you don't get to use running.

Shuntae - I remember needing an afternoon nap when I first started running. I would get up at 5 am to run and every day like clock work by about noon I would need a nap. I don't know if this is "normal" but eventually, as I got stronger, I was able to make it through the day. It sounds like you are fueling. I would also pay attention to how much you are sleeping. I used to like to stay up late but have found that I need a little extra sleep the day before my runs - the two days before if I am racing.

I generally don't stay up late...think I went to bed around 10:30 last night and got up around 8 today (no kids, so I'm an 8 hour kind of girl). No, I didn't have any water during my run...but maybe I should start carrying a bottle along for those days. After all, I was out there for over an hour this afternoon. I may need to consider one of those belts you guys have talked about.If it's worth noting, I don't normally feel like that in the evenings after my shorter runs.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i am gonna run for 30 minutes.

i find that if i am sitting around being lazy i honestly can't stop eating. it is ridiculous. so i need to go for that run...but on my treadmill, not feelin goin out right now.

wish me luck!

i could only complete 15...:(, probably cause i ate so much today
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i am gonna run for 30 minutes.

i find that if i am sitting around being lazy i honestly can't stop eating. it is ridiculous. so i need to go for that run...but on my treadmill, not feelin goin out right now.

wish me luck!
    good luck! If you get bored on the treadmill step outside, fresh air will do you good. :flowerforyou:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    did i make it to the new club? just checking...
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm back! I had to go out of state for a funeral last week and didn't run or exercise at all and ate crap for 6 straight days...gained 4 pounds and felt horrible!

I went for a 20 minute run last night and my 8 year old daughter join me for about half of it! She was so excited to be running with her mommy! We then cooled down with a 10 minute walk and after that my husband took the girls for ice cream but I said no! It felt good to get back on track!

Happy 4th of July!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    My new shoes KILL my left arch!!! :huh: I called the running store where I got them and they said that because the new shoes correct my over prot.... it would take time to get used to. BUT.... I don't think they understand! It feels like a charlie horse in my arch! Is this normal??

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I posted this on the race thread but thought it only appropriate to put it on our running board :wink:
    I ran a 5k race today and had a blast!! Unfortunately I started out too fast so I wasn't able to finish strong but I did have a PR of 24:10 so I am very happy.
    Here's a pic of me, my hubby and my twin brother. My twin was soo sweet, he met me with 1/4 mile to go and really pushed me through, I thought I was going to die. But I won a little medal for the first time in my life and came in 2nd place female for my age group :flowerforyou:
    Happy 4th of July everyone!!
    ry%3D400
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Great job Jenny! Placing in age groups already....woohoo!

It's cool to see a pic of your twin brother too, I still think it's amazing how much weight he has lost. What an inspiration!

Soggy 14 mile run for me today. Rained on the rainman I guess. However, I am totally pumped, it's time for le tour!

Have a great 4th everyone!

Raymond
  • gustergirl
    Options
    I dont know if everyone reads all the rests of the posts so this is a repeat!

I have only run a 5K but have signed up for Team in Training (1/2 marathon) in September. I wanted to run a 10K and found one back in my hometown. My cousin is also new to running and signed up for the 5K part of the race.

She lived about 5 blocks from the race so we woke up at six, took a nice walk, got our bibs and headed back home. I squealed when I got my bib number and it had a 7 in it. My first bib was a 77. I want to continue this streak!

We ate a good breakfast. Ive discovered my power meal: honey nut cheerios, a banana and a cup of coffee!! I run so well when I eat this!

This race was pretty big about 1500 runners. There were all types of people there and we were running through a community so everyone had their lawn chairs out to cheer us on!!

The first mile is always the warm up so we just chatted and talked about how funny it was to run through our hometown and how beautiful the weather was. Then we hit Mile 1 and my cousin is estatic--here I find out thats all she has run! I was in shock! So I knew then that I had to slow my pace and just get her through the next two miles. It was so funny though because we got to mile 2 and I pointed it out to her--she was so excited to be passing it!

We had a stretch of an incline that she struggled with but I kept on her and then we went through another residental area where they were cheering us on! I loved it so much! I think I said good morning to every single person. I even joked with a cop who was leaning on his patrol car that that was mean as I was running my *kitten* off!! hehe! He hopped right up!

We finished great--38 minutes and her boyfriend finished the last 2 minutes with her! I had to get 6 miles in today so I just kept running. What a surreal moment to complete a 5K and then just keep running knowing I have to do it again! I was so pumped that moment when I saw how far Ive come in just a month since I completed my first 5K!

I then completed the 2nd half in 34 minutes. So my final time was 1:12. I really wanted to finish in 60 m as I have done that before but I was seriously so happy just to run with my cousin that it didnt matter!! Now off to research our next race together!! :)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all your support/encouragement/motivation! I our group!!
  • kechiemc
    Options

I generally don't stay up late...think I went to bed around 10:30 last night and got up around 8 today (no kids, so I'm an 8 hour kind of girl). No, I didn't have any water during my run...but maybe I should start carrying a bottle along for those days. After all, I was out there for over an hour this afternoon. I may need to consider one of those belts you guys have talked about.If it's worth noting, I don't normally feel like that in the evenings after my shorter runs.

I take water if I am going out for 5 or more miles. I also take water for my speed and tempo workouts. I used to try and skip the water. My workouts are so much better with just a little water. When I am going out for an easy paced 3 or 4 miles, I don't bring water with me.

Btw, I don't have a belt. I just drop a bottle along my route on the way out. Yesterday I ordered a Nathan (the little hand held). I used to have the fuel belt handheld. I did not like it b/c I had to hold the bottle and that messed up my running form.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    :drinker: to WW and GG!

Welcome back fitat41!

Welcome Bgood!

I am not sure about your shoes Christine. I would seek out a second opinion.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

I take water if I am going out for 5 or more miles. I also take water for my speed and tempo workouts. I used to try and skip the water. My workouts are so much better with just a little water. When I am going out for an easy paced 3 or 4 miles, I don't bring water with me.

Btw, I don't have a belt. I just drop a bottle along my route on the way out. Yesterday I ordered a Nathan (the little hand held). I used to have the fuel belt handheld. I did not like it b/c I had to hold the bottle and that messed up my running form.

I am going to take some water along next time. It will only get hotter as the summer goes on and it will do me no good to gor around getting dehydrated and feeling gross. Thanks for your input!

Jenny- Way to go on the PR!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Missed my run this morning. Pulled something in my back yesterday and I can hardly bend over to tie my shoes. Maybe tomorrow.
  • gustergirl
    Options
    Hope you feel better!! Just take a walk tomorrow!