MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ran 3.12 miles yesterday evening...my fastest pace yet on a fairly hilly route...33:17. That was 3 minutes faster than the last time I ran that course! It's so exciting to see improvement.

I have a question...can someone tell me what watches will do all of the following? Pace, interval timer, HR monitor, and calorie counter. I like my HR monitor with calorie counter but now that I'm getting into this running thing I'd like something that at least lets me run intervals...like 3:1 (running:walking). Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

5 mile speed workout for me today - 100% humidity:sick:

1 mile slow to warm up
    800 meters (half mile) in 4:16 w/ 400 meter jogs between. Repeat 4 times.
    1 mile slow to cool down

Came very close to weeping today.:laugh:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie

Oh by the way, I printed my "very hard" 16 week half marathon training program that starts July 13.:bigsmile:

Wow..."very hard"? You go girl! I did the moderate one. Truth be told, anything above that scares me a little. :laugh:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Your note made me chuckle -- thought about calling my mama! :)

Good luck on the 1/2 training -- this week is 5 of 13 in my training -- and I'm happy to report it is an easy week with 3 rest days. They are just preparing me for a 7 mile speedwork run on Tuesday where I'm sure I will cry like a baby!:sad:

5 of 13! Way to go!:drinker:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    5 mile run for me this morning. Very hilly run in the backroads (ie, surrounded by cornfields) of IL. :wink: Feeling my run from y'day too! :laugh:

Have a good one!

hey jess -- i'm a fellow IL cornfield runner myself. usually only my Sat morning runs, because i do my weekday workouts on lunch break at work in the city, but trying to switch to morning runs -- to beat the summer heat -- which would start from the house. nothing like the peace and quiet (and an occasional animal friend or two)
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Ran 3.12 miles yesterday evening...my fastest pace yet on a fairly hilly route...33:17. That was 3 minutes faster than the last time I ran that course! It's so exciting to see improvement.

I have a question...can someone tell me what watches will do all of the following? Pace, interval timer, HR monitor, and calorie counter. I like my HR monitor with calorie counter but now that I'm getting into this running thing I'd like something that at least lets me run intervals...like 3:1 (running:walking). Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Welcome Jtintx!:flowerforyou:

I love my Garmin 205. It does all of the above minus the hr monitor. The Garmin 305 does all of the above with a hr monitor. I am going to upgrade soon. I found a Garmin 305 at a really great price on amazon.com this morning, $162.12 and free super saver shipping. This is the lowest price I've seen on this item. On sale, this item usually costs over $200.
  • kechiemc
    Options

1 mile slow to warm up
    1 mile slow to cool down

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie

Oh by the way, I printed my "very hard" 16 week half marathon training program that starts July 13.:bigsmile:

Wow..."very hard"? You go girl! I did the moderate one. Truth be told, anything above that scares me a little. :laugh:

Oh I'm scared but that doesn't stop me.:laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

started a new training program today, it is starting a little low for me but by the end of the week I have one run that I am sure will kick my butt. :love:

So, a little short 2 miles today but I know getting into some sort of training will improve my overall running so I am willing to sacrifice today :laugh:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Becky: I'm sorry about ur injury. I know exactly where u are coming from. Been fighting an injury for a month. Hoping to start training again soon... Imiss running BAD!
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I need to start posting here more often. I've been running on and off for 4 or 5 months now and while I love it and it feels great, I tend to make excuses and then get caught in slumps where I won't run for a week or so. ugh! i hate it. i sleep and feel so much better when i'm working out regularly.

All that said, I did a three mile loop today, but probably only ran a little over 2 miles of that and walked the rest towards the end.

I feel like I should sign up for a 5K to keep myself honest. There's an 8K (weird distance!) in November that I'd love to do, as well, since it's along the river and it will probably be beautiful. Signing up for races so far in advance makes me nervous, since I don't know how that will effect my motivation, if at all!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Maz---Signing up for a 5K was the best decision I ever made. I now have a 10K under my belt and will be doing a half in September. I think you totally should sign up for it!! Good luck

I did a 5 miler tonight. Its strange because it is not strenous but it still is hard. I am though trying to go a little faster to gain speed. Saturday I have to do seven and mentally freaking. I know I can do it just kinda whining about it mentally! LOL
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

1 mile slow to warm up
    1 mile slow to cool down

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie

Oh I'm scared but that doesn't stop me.:laugh:

I just looked at the 'very hard' program for my current pace...have to say it doesn't sound unreasonable. Think I'll try it. :happy:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Still no running, so I did a little retail therapy instead......
    got a 2nd pair of shoes so I can alternate, put a pair of *Yankz* in them, so we'll see if I like them on Friday...oh yeah, a few pairs of socks and a watch for intervals, etc. I wasn't quite ready to take the plunge with a HRM.

Y'all are posting amazing runs! Keep running and stay safe out there! :happy:

Becky
  • kechiemc
    Options

Much needed rest day for me.

Becky - Get well soon :flowerforyou:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I need to start posting here more often. I've been running on and off for 4 or 5 months now and while I love it and it feels great, I tend to make excuses and then get caught in slumps where I won't run for a week or so. ugh! i hate it. i sleep and feel so much better when i'm working out regularly.

All that said, I did a three mile loop today, but probably only ran a little over 2 miles of that and walked the rest towards the end.

I feel like I should sign up for a 5K to keep myself honest. There's an 8K (weird distance!) in November that I'd love to do, as well, since it's along the river and it will probably be beautiful. Signing up for races so far in advance makes me nervous, since I don't know how that will effect my motivation, if at all!

Welcome Maz!

I would recommend giving signing up for a race a try. Personally, being financially on the hook was motivation enough for me to train. It also made me want to train since I was training for something. Then, once I got to the race and had so much fun at the race, I was hooked on signing up for races and training for them.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I did an easy 2 miles last night...i had planned on doing more, but time would not allow it. I am going to do 5 miles tonight....atleast that is what I am aiming for...and some weight training. Next 5 K is coming up on July 25!

Also was wondering if anyone on this thread lives in Northwest Georgia around the Rome area and may be interested in training together, I really want to train for a half marathon but think if I had a partner I would be much more motivated...I tried to get the DBF to do it with me but he is having knee problems right now. If anyone is interested, please message me!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning runners. Yay for everyone that has already ran today and yay for those resting. As for me I have been resting too long and I am going out tonight to the HS track to run my 1st mile in about 7 weeks. It should be nice later. I heard the weather was supposed to be 79 and no humidity. I will post later to let you know how that mile went.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Ran 3 miles last night in 30 minutes, felt really good! I also started 30 Day Shred yesterday so I'm feeling a little tight this morning but in a great way! After doing the dvd again this morning I'm off to NYC for the day with my daughters and some friends, it will be a fun day!

Happy Wednesday

Mary
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Did a 3 mile "sanity" run this morning. Was supposed to be a rest day....but my dog got sick at 12:40 am -- ended up calling the vet at 4am! Needless to say I didn't get any sleep :yawn: Between the sick dog in the hospital and my sick mother in the hospital I had come to the end of my rope and needed to run to clear my head! Thank goodness I have an outlet!!!:explode:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I miss running. I haven't been able to run since sunday thanks to work. Not only am I on call this week, we have a massive multi-million dollar project wrapping up and I have been pulling 12-14 hour days every day. I basically have time to get home, eat, and go to sleep because I've been getting a ton of late night/early morning calls, and have been running on about 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

Blah. I just gotta make it until next monday morning. How much ability can one lose in a week? Should I pick back up where I was at on sunday? Should I decrease the workout a little? This is the first break I've had to take.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I just finished Couch to 5k - I am so proud I am floating!!!

Finished 3 miles in 41:10 or 4.37mph - when I started I was at 4.1mph so I've increased a bit-will keep working!