MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Hi everyone! Welcome to the new posters!
    Today was a good run....slow, but I felt strong through it all and know I could've kept going. Only 5.5 miles.... which as I type makes me laugh! *only* 5.5 miles! I never dreamed I would say those words!

Finding the GU/sports drink/sport bean discussion very informative! Thanks for all the input! I was eyeballing them yesterday. My friend and running buddy is doing the VA Beach Rock n Roll half marathon and I've volunteered to be her pace buddy and do a trial run with her, so I was thinking I should get something to use for that run.

Shoe report.....I got my 3rd pair of new shoes yesterday...yes, I think I have a problem....and I'm blaming this board! :wink: I discovered Mizunos this spring and as a severe over pronator have been amazed that I can run without pain!!! They are a perfect match for me. I started with the Wave Alchemy 8 and since the 9 was coming out this month, I was able to get great deals on the 8s, but when I popped in to the local running store yesterday the manager held up the 9s to wave at me! (Do you think it's bad when the store manager recognizes you on sight????? maybe I'm there too much) Anyhow....I had a coupon and they're doing a shoe trade in so I HAD to take advantage of the deal he offered me! :tongue: I really like them! They did tweak the design. They have gone to a gender specific fit for all their shoes...adding more padding in the heel and forefoot. They also put a double stability *wave* in for extra support. I could definitely feel the extra stability factor, but still very comfortable and very light! Just thought I'd share the info and do my best to continue enabling the shopping!!! :happy:

Have an excellent day everyone!

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    i can't remember which side of the gatorade debate you fall on, but you may want to think about stashing a small bottle somewhere along your route.

This is an excellent idea. I used to do it with my water bottles before I got a Nathan handheld. The problem for me was ANTS. If I put Gatorade in my water bottle or took a bottle of Gatorade with me, it would be covered with ants when I came back to get it.

It never crossed my mind to hide my water bottles. I left them in plain site. I have left them on top of utility boxes in my neighbors yards, on top of mailboxes, on the ground near my neighbors mailboxes, on the bumper of my car. In the fall, I always overdress so I have also left articles of clothing on my neighbor's mailboxes.

Once I forgot where I put my water bottle, so I thought someone had taken it but I was looking in the wrong spot.

It only takes a second to pick up your bottle. I don't even stop running. Also, if you can plan to run by a couple of spots multiple times, you can pick it up, drink, and drop it again in a different spot.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    anybody ever try Carb Boom Energy Gel???

I used them while marathon training. I have tried the apple cinnamon and strawberry kiwi. I got really burnt out on them, but they worked well while training!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    For my long runs I like to use the gel candies, powerbar makes them. They are called Gel Blasts. I have never tried GU but I heard it was kinda nasty. With the Gel Blasts you eat it and you are done. I found that I need something about 7 miles out so I eat one or two around mile 6 and I am good to go for while.

The marathon that I ran used GU so I used the Vanilla GU to get used to it. YUCK!!!!!!!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Welcome to the new posters!
    Today was a good run....slow, but I felt strong through it all and know I could've kept going. Only 5.5 miles.... which as I type makes me laugh! *only* 5.5 miles! I never dreamed I would say those words!

Finding the GU/sports drink/sport bean discussion very informative! Thanks for all the input! I was eyeballing them yesterday. My friend and running buddy is doing the VA Beach Rock n Roll half marathon and I've volunteered to be her pace buddy and do a trial run with her, so I was thinking I should get something to use for that run.

Have an excellent day everyone!

Becky
    Hey Becky! That's the Half I'm doing -- the Va. Beach Rock 'n Roll -- wooohooo! I hope it's not a scorcher that day!
  • jabdye
    Options
    For my long runs I like to use the gel candies, powerbar makes them. They are called Gel Blasts. I have never tried GU but I heard it was kinda nasty. With the Gel Blasts you eat it and you are done. I found that I need something about 7 miles out so I eat one or two around mile 6 and I am good to go for while.

The marathon that I ran used GU so I used the Vanilla GU to get used to it. YUCK!!!!!!!
    Definitely not feeling any "gu" love! :heart: I think I'll try the powerbar bursts -- that you just chew and go -- sounds a little more appetizing to me!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well, I'm still posting even though I'm taking the week off from running. :laugh: I decided after my triathlon that I would take a week off. I've been doing a lot of running since the half marathons and then triathlons. Anyway... I started Insanity (latest BB program) and it's awesome!! Plyometrics which is great for runners anyway. :bigsmile: Did the Fit Test y'day, and played 2 hrs of volleyball last night. Day 2 done today... Plyo Cardio Circuit.

Keep going, runners! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Definitely not feeling any "gu" love! :heart: I think I'll try the powerbar bursts -- that you just chew and go -- sounds a little more appetizing to me!

My marathon crazy friend (she's run at least 12? marathons) swears by the Fruit Smile Fruit snacks from Wal*mart (Great Value brand). I like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans, they work well for me!
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    4 for me today and body pump. I'm catching up bgood! :wink:

yeah...you keep thinking that :laugh:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    My marathon crazy friend (she's run at least 12? marathons) swears by the Fruit Smile Fruit snacks from Wal*mart (Great Value brand). I like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans, they work well for me!

Me too Jess! I LOVE the Jelly Belly Sport Jelly Beans.:drinker:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a Shot Block girl myself. I hate the gu, but love shot blocks. I have also put some gatorade powder in my Nathan water bottle, but not enough so it really tastes like Gatorade. Just enough so I get a few electrolytes.
    Today I did a speed workout, which should have been easy, but for some reason it felt hard. It's a hot day but we went early to miss the worst of the heat. I think my body is just a little tired, but at least I did it.

Have a happy day!:flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    now that sounds better than gu -- I'm seeing a coke and a lemon flavor -- any favorites???

I like them both. The coke flavor actually taste like coke.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still posting even though I'm taking the week off from running. :laugh: I decided after my triathlon that I would take a week off. I've been doing a lot of running since the half marathons and then triathlons. Anyway... I started Insanity (latest BB program) and it's awesome!! Plyometrics which is great for runners anyway. :bigsmile: Did the Fit Test y'day, and played 2 hrs of volleyball last night. Day 2 done today... Plyo Cardio Circuit.

Keep going, runners! :wink:

I was checking out the Insanity informercial during one of my fits of insomnia the other night. It looked awesome. Let me know what you're thinking. I may just make the investment.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Just got back from 7 with the jog stroller. It was actually a really fuin run because I had my daughter in the stroller and my son biking along side of me. My daughter breaks into these "Go Mommy" cheers - how cannot you not want to keep running hard with that kind of cheerleading! :laugh:

My thought on the drink, gels and candy discussion (which is a great one!) is this: Gels are yucky...just flat out gross. It's a texture thing for me. I've tried the gel made my PowerBar and Gu. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose Gu.

I love the little candies. I stay away from sports drinks.

Honestly, though, I don't use any of them. I just found that they didn't do too much for me. I run my long runs (I'm up to 15 miles - 2 hours plus) the same with just a banana and good breakfast.

:bigsmile:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    At a Team in Training info session, they said if you are going to use Gatorade to stick to the powder. They are now making the gatorade in the bottles more for the average person than for the athlete. I think there was mention of less sugar in the powder mix. I am at that point where I am going to be passing 7 miles and curious too what I should do! I like to drink coffee before runs and that seems to help but I am sure when I get further distances it wont! Good discussion!

I know at ****s Sporting Goods at the cash registers they have alot of options for GU, shots etc
    if a running store isnt close by!!
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Just checkin in! I'ts been a week since surgery. Starting to feel better so MAYBE I'll be up and running in 3 more weeks! Till then, happy running! I'll be thinkin of all of u while I sit and get chubby! lol
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Happy Running everyone. I did 5 miles at the track this morning, my knee hurts a little so I'll probably ice it down today. I just have been zonked of energy, need to get more sleep :yawn:
    Have a great day!
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Good Morning! I only run 3 days a week (Mon, Thurs, Sat) right now so I don't have a running update but I did play tennis and volleyball last night. Tonight I have more volleyball and am hoping to squeeze in a bike ride some time before that. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage to get everything in every week this summer and still get to work everyday. Stupid work always gets in the way! By the time summer is over I should have it all figured out then I'll have to start all over this fall. I'd like to add another running day but I'd either have to run before work which would be around 4am or Sunday morning. I'm not sure I'm willing to get up that early to run before work so I'm trying to convince myself I don't need to lounge around Sunday mornings. So far it's not working but reading how much everyone else does kind of gets me motivated to maybe squeeze a run in elsewhere after work before my other sports even if it's a short run.

You guys are awesome and so inspirational!!
  • jabdye
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Just got back from 7 with the jog stroller. It was actually a really fuin run because I had my daughter in the stroller and my son biking along side of me. My daughter breaks into these "Go Mommy" cheers - how cannot you not want to keep running hard with that kind of cheerleading! :laugh:

My thought on the drink, gels and candy discussion (which is a great one!) is this: Gels are yucky...just flat out gross. It's a texture thing for me. I've tried the gel made my PowerBar and Gu. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose Gu.

I love the little candies. I stay away from sports drinks.

Honestly, though, I don't use any of them. I just found that they didn't do too much for me. I run my long runs (I'm up to 15 miles - 2 hours plus) the same with just a banana and good breakfast.

:bigsmile:

Love the cheering section - now you can understand why I am trying to train my bird to cheer for me when I run on the treadmill!

Glad to hear there is someone who doesn't do anything. I purposely drink A LOT on the day of my long run -- and in general drink 2 liters or more of water every day. I just had an instance where I got dehydrated and started seeing sparklies --- and it scared me. That's when I started keeping a piece of hard candy in my mouth -- which helps! I ordered some of the powerbar blast chewy things for cases where I start to feel yucky. I'm getting ready to up my long run to 15 miles so I'll just stop after 10 and have a quick drink.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Just checkin in! I'ts been a week since surgery. Starting to feel better so MAYBE I'll be up and running in 3 more weeks! Till then, happy running! I'll be thinkin of all of u while I sit and get chubby! lol

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better -- here's to a speedy recovery! :flowerforyou: