MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    getting ready to order some gu -- any suggestions on flavors?

if you like jolly ranchers and want to stick with the fruit flavors, you might try orange or i think there's a strawberry-banana. if you're wanting more of a sweet treat (or a cheap, artificial imitation of one, that is) you can go for the chocolate or the vanilla bean. i'm sure they have a lot more flavors; those are the ones i remember. and you probably know this, but you're definitely going to want some water to wash it down. good luck with the experimenting!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

if you like jolly ranchers and want to stick with the fruit flavors, you might try orange or i think there's a strawberry-banana. if you're wanting more of a sweet treat (or a cheap, artificial imitation of one, that is) you can go for the chocolate or the vanilla bean. i'm sure they have a lot more flavors; those are the ones i remember. and you probably know this, but you're definitely going to want some water to wash it down. good luck with the experimenting!

well I don't have water when I take them so I'm sure I look like a dog with a mouthful of peanut butter....but it DOES take my mind off of being tired -- so I'm not sure if the gu actually HELPs with energy or if it just a great distraction :noway: I've been leaning toward the strawberry-banana. Know of anything else to help on long runs????
  • bgood14
    Options
    i used a couple gu packets both times i ran a marathon, and i can tell you they definitely provide a little extra energy. i can't remember which side of the gatorade debate you fall on, but you may want to think about stashing a small bottle somewhere along your route. or for a really long run, you could do two loops of your course. for example, on a 20-miler, i picked a spot 5 miles out from my house, and did two trips out and back, that way i got a gu and a drink at my house -- the halfway point -- and went out to finish the run. before i had worked up to 20, sometimes i would drive out and leave a gatorade bottle at that 5 mile point, so i'd have a drink halfway through a 10-miler. (you should have seen me "hiding" my gatorade out in an empty lot on a country road; probably could have left it out in the middle in broad daylight and nobody would have noticed, but i had to make sure it would still be there when i came looking for it!) just some ideas.
  • jabdye
    Options
    i used a couple gu packets both times i ran a marathon, and i can tell you they definitely provide a little extra energy. i can't remember which side of the gatorade debate you fall on, but you may want to think about stashing a small bottle somewhere along your route. or for a really long run, you could do two loops of your course. for example, on a 20-miler, i picked a spot 5 miles out from my house, and did two trips out and back, that way i got a gu and a drink at my house -- the halfway point -- and went out to finish the run. before i had worked up to 20, sometimes i would drive out and leave a gatorade bottle at that 5 mile point, so i'd have a drink halfway through a 10-miler. (you should have seen me "hiding" my gatorade out in an empty lot on a country road; probably could have left it out in the middle in broad daylight and nobody would have noticed, but i had to make sure it would still be there when i came looking for it!) just some ideas.

I may try that. I run a loop in a park -- and I pass by my car. My problem is I've gotten into this crazy mindset that if I stop then I haven't "officially" run the whole distance. Guess I just need to stop the watch -- take a sip -- and keep on going.
  • bgood14
    Options
    i hear you on that one. i'm usually pretty anal about time and distance and all that myself, but i've learned to get over that -- to some degree -- and remember that training is training. it's not going to hurt too much if i make a quick stop. even in a race, sometimes it helps to slow down or even stop for just a second at the water table just so you don't spill the whole cup all over you while getting about two drops in your mouth! (i know -- sounds like a personal problem). anway, if it's going to help you keep going strong through the rest of the long training run, i say it's worth it to pause and re-fuel. it's just a little thing, but it's also likely to help you finish those miles in better shape than if you keep on trucking and miss out on the extra boost. (and i don't know if i can speak for the group here, but i'm pretty sure none of us are going to be hiding behind your car, ready to spring out and bust you when you come in for a pit stop :wink: )
  • jabdye
    Options
    i don't know if i can speak for the group here, but i'm pretty sure none of us are going to be hiding behind your car, ready to spring out and bust you when you come in for a pit stop :wink: )

Maybe I should research where everyone is from just to make sure!!!!!! You're too funny!!!!:laugh:
    A mental block I guess I need to just get over it! Plus that competitive spirit -- almost to a fault.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Congrats on the great run today! I'm thinking we'll call you happy feet (from the penguin movie) :)

Espresso Love - Double the Caffeine:drinker: Let me tell you come Marathon time of year you can't find those in your local store because people are crazy for it. I also like the Vanilla and Lemon (one of those is no caffeine but I can't for the life of me think of which one it is).

I run with a water belt on all long runs and when I was training for my full last summer - I left a jug out by my mailbox to refill as I looped by the house. After 2 1/2 hours of running, I didn't feel the least bit bad about stopping to refill the bottles. The only bad part was my dog would spot me at the end of the drive and go nuts.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I think I'll give the Gatorade/other sports drinks another try, because I haven't tried all the flavors and probably haven't had any of them since high school. Maybe they've changed a little in the last 12 years. As far as the gu and beans are concerned, could I find them in a running store? I'm pretty curious now...I've got a little over 2 1/2 months til my half, so I'm sure I can find something I like by then.

Runner's World is smiling on me this week...this week is 3 easy runs. Today will be 4 miles. Looking forward to it.
  • bgood14
    Options
    SC -- I'm an admitted Gatorade addict, in all its tasty flavors. But I'd recommend you give the new G2 a try, if you haven't already. I can see why some people might not be as big a fan of the sports drink genre, but in my opinion the G2 is a lot less intense, if that's the right word -- much more along the lines of a Kool-Aid or a punch drink. See what you think. Also the Gatorade "Rain" varieties are pretty light and refreshing (okay -- couldn't resist the subtle sales pitch). Good luck!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    SC -- I'm an admitted Gatorade addict, in all its tasty flavors. But I'd recommend you give the new G2 a try, if you haven't already. I can see why some people might not be as big a fan of the sports drink genre, but in my opinion the G2 is a lot less intense, if that's the right word -- much more along the lines of a Kool-Aid or a punch drink. See what you think. Also the Gatorade "Rain" varieties are pretty light and refreshing (okay -- couldn't resist the subtle sales pitch). Good luck!

The G2 sounds pretty good...I always thought the original line tasted like salt water. Guess that's what it is supposed to do though :laugh: I'll try one for my long run next week and see how it goes. I know that Propel is along similar lines and I really like some of those, so maybe there is hope...
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

I run with a water belt on all long runs and when I was training for my full last summer - I left a jug out by my mailbox to refill as I looped by the house.

OMG!! That is such an excellent idea - I wish I had thought about that!!!! My halfway point is just past my mailbox before I have to turn around....what a great place to stash a water bottle! Thanks so much!
  • annaliza
    Options
    i don't know if i can speak for the group here, but i'm pretty sure none of us are going to be hiding behind your car, ready to spring out and bust you when you come in for a pit stop :wink: )

Maybe I should research where everyone is from just to make sure!!!!!! You're too funny!!!!:laugh:
    A mental block I guess I need to just get over it! Plus that competitive spirit -- almost to a fault.

OOhhhh, ME ME ME! I'm the one hiding behind your car to jump out at you! BOO! I just can't believe you stopped for 3 seconds to have a drink of water....... :tongue:

:drinker:
  • annaliza
    Options
    I'm going to try to do 3.5 miles tonight. Hubby has to take my sister in law home so I'm hoping I can get in a "quick" run before he has to leave so that he can stay with the kids. Otherwise, someone is going to get hurt - I....need......my....run!!! (yes, I am addicted to the runners high).

Reading all the "talk" on Gatorade, GU (whatever that is, I assume some kind of sport gel - just too lazy to look it up right at the moment lol), sport beans, etc makes me want to go out and get me some. Sheeesh this board is terrible for me - I just keep finding more and more things to spend my money on :laugh: But boy, what a world! Where else are you encouraged to eat jolly ranchers, sport beans and gatorade. Gotta love it!

Take care my runner friends and Happy Running!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    good morning everyone!

4 for me today and body pump. I'm catching up bgood! :wink:
  • jabdye
    Options

OOhhhh, ME ME ME! I'm the one hiding behind your car to jump out at you! BOO! I just can't believe you stopped for 3 seconds to have a drink of water....... :tongue:

:drinker:

Okay -- so when you put it like that I realize that maybe...just MAYBE...Im being a little ridiculous :noway:

Hope you get your run in! I am NO FUN when I miss a run. I actually chose to be late to work rather than miss a run. I figure my co-workers would thank me for it!!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hello all you fabulous runners! :flowerforyou:

Hope it's okay to crash your thread!
    I've been running consistently for a few months now and have worked my way up to a 4-5 mile run around 5 times a week, but don't really consider myself a runner . The longest I've ever run is 7 miles... once.:wink:

Anyway, I don't know anyone who runs, and really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm hoping to learn from all of you more experienced runners!
  • jabdye
    Options

I've been running consistently for a few months now and have worked my way up to a 4-5 mile run around 5 times a week, but don't really consider myself a runner . The longest I've ever run is 7 miles... once.:wink:

Anyway, I don't know anyone who runs, and really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm hoping to learn from all of you more experienced runners!

WELCOME Channing! You've come to a great thread -- lots of fabulous runners on here with great advice!!!!

Looking forward to hearing about all of your accomplishments!
    Good luck and happy running!
    Julie
  • annaliza
    Options

Welcome to the Runners Club :smile:

You sound like a runner to me! You are doing more miles than I am, and I consider myself a runner (albeit a newbie runner).

I look forward to reading your posts. :flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    For my long runs I like to use the gel candies, powerbar makes them. They are called Gel Blasts. I have never tried GU but I heard it was kinda nasty. With the Gel Blasts you eat it and you are done. I found that I need something about 7 miles out so I eat one or two around mile 6 and I am good to go for while.
  • jabdye
    Options
    For my long runs I like to use the gel candies, powerbar makes them. They are called Gel Blasts. I have never tried GU but I heard it was kinda nasty. With the Gel Blasts you eat it and you are done. I found that I need something about 7 miles out so I eat one or two around mile 6 and I am good to go for while.
    now that sounds better than gu -- I'm seeing a coke and a lemon flavor -- any favorites???