MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I miss running. I haven't been able to run since sunday thanks to work. Not only am I on call this week, we have a massive multi-million dollar project wrapping up and I have been pulling 12-14 hour days every day. I basically have time to get home, eat, and go to sleep because I've been getting a ton of late night/early morning calls, and have been running on about 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

Blah. I just gotta make it until next monday morning. How much ability can one lose in a week? Should I pick back up where I was at on sunday? Should I decrease the workout a little? This is the first break I've had to take.

I would start back with the workout you left off at or maybe one before...what's the program you are doing now-I know it's the next step past C25k
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I just finished Couch to 5k - I am so proud I am floating!!!

Finished 3 miles in 41:10 or 4.37mph - when I started I was at 4.1mph so I've increased a bit-will keep working!

YIPPEEE!!! Congratulations! You are awesome! Now go celebrate! :flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

Finished 3 miles in 41:10 or 4.37mph - when I started I was at 4.1mph so I've increased a bit-will keep working!

Congrats, my c25k buddy! That's great!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Congratulations! I'm so so so proud of you :)
    Right now I am working on the freeway to 10k program.
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/fw210k.html

You can also check out gateway to 8k
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/gw28k.html

However a word of warning - I noticed that intervals are a whole world harder than they used to be because I'm so used to just going out and running now.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Planning on a 5-mile run tonight...the program has me doing speed work, so this ought to be interesting. Based on my 5K time, my "speed" (HA!) is supposed to be 11:29/mile. I am nervous like nobody's business, but all I can do is the best I can.

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Msarro, folding money is a good thing and I notice people are incredibly busy in this lean workforce era. Hang in there because sunny days will come again.

About the running, a good buddy and I came to the conclusion that 1 good run a week can sustain you for a long time. You won't get better, but you won't pick yourself off the carpet either. I would say try to find the time get at least one good run in every week. However, be very careful on diet becuase it is much easier to do short term damage.

Raymond
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    5 mile run for me this morning. Very hilly run in the backroads (ie, surrounded by cornfields) of IL. :wink: Feeling my run from y'day too! :laugh:

Have a good one!

hey jess -- i'm a fellow IL cornfield runner myself. usually only my Sat morning runs, because i do my weekday workouts on lunch break at work in the city, but trying to switch to morning runs -- to beat the summer heat -- which would start from the house. nothing like the peace and quiet (and an occasional animal friend or two)

Another IL runner!! I've been to Belleville plenty of times. My brother used to be at Scott AFB close by. :bigsmile: I'm in central IL. Gotta love those cornfields. :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    No run for me today. It's open water swimming tonight and then 3 volleyball games. Weather depending though, it's rainy and cold today!!! :grumble:
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I feel like I should sign up for a 5K to keep myself honest. There's an 8K (weird distance!) in November that I'd love to do, as well, since it's along the river and it will probably be beautiful. Signing up for races so far in advance makes me nervous, since I don't know how that will effect my motivation, if at all!

Signing up for a race is the best way I know to stay motivated--especially (for me) since you have to pay when you sign up!

Good luck!
    Jodi
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been off of here for a few days, so I am playing catch up.

Becky--I am so sorry about your accident. I hope you are feeling better!

Rainman--39 miles, sounds exhausting--I'm impressed!

I took a 3 day hiatus from running after an awful Sat. 9 miler. I did spend the last 2 days out in the brush clearing and loading posts for several hours, so I wasn't exactly at my leisure! It felt great to get out there this morning for a quick 3 miles. My 10K is on Saturday--hoping for a PB!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just finished couch to 5k week 2 day 2 and it felt AWESOME :happy:

Today was the first day that I truly enjoyed my run 100% Usually it's "not so bad" or I enjoy after the fact that I did it. Not today... I really liked it- almost wanted to keep going! This is going to be great... can't wait to progress- I'm on top of the world right now :happy: :drinker:

I'm honored that you all let me post on here, since I'm really not a *runner* yet, but I believe in high standards! :blushing:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Just finished couch to 5k week 2 day 2 and it felt AWESOME :happy:

Today was the first day that I truly enjoyed my run 100% Usually it's "not so bad" or I enjoy after the fact that I did it. Not today... I really liked it- almost wanted to keep going! This is going to be great... can't wait to progress- I'm on top of the world right now :happy: :drinker:

I'm honored that you all let me post on here, since I'm really not a *runner* yet, but I believe in high standards! :blushing:

You are a runner!! Congrats and keep running! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    No run for me today. It's open water swimming tonight and then 3 volleyball games. Weather depending though, it's rainy and cold today!!! :grumble:

Rainy and chilly but I did it!! 1,850+ yd swim. YAY!! Feeling much more confident about my Oly tri next Sat!!

And vball cancelled... now it is pouring down rain! :laugh:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the C25K graduates!

Today was a rest day but I took the kids to the local arts festival today that had tons of kids activities. I think I probably walked a good 2-3 miles so I'll count that as cross training! hehe!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    5 mile run for me. Felt great! Loving the cooler weather! :bigsmile: Then did a bootcamp ab workout. Done and ready for the day and it's only 7AM! :drinker:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    so i haven't even been running with you all for very long, but you can add me to the injured list -- hyperextended a knee last night playing basketball, and even walking is a challenge today. so learn from me runner friends -- choose your "cross training" activities carefully, because they can be hazardous to your health :wink:

btw -- great job to all the 5Kers! that's certainly an accomplishment to finish a training program, and you should all feel proud

msarro -- like others have said, i wouldn't backtrack too much in your training. obviously, don't try to jump back into it with the hardest workout on your list, but pick one you've already done that's on the lighter side and give it a shot. as always, your body will tell you if that's overdoing it. you may be surprised at what you can do after a good long rest
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Another rest day for me. Got my new shoes yesterday. Can't wait to run tomorrow.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Kechie-hope you enjoy the shoes! :)

I got in 3.2 miles today on the high school track before the kids asked me to stop. I was supposed to run five but happy with how much I got in! The kids are getting used to playing on/near the track so its getting easier!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    At what point did you know you were ready to run daily - I really want to go run but I did yesterday and I've got a strength class tonight????/
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Got about six miles in this morning - first run since last Thursday. 24 hours to vacation (not that I'm counting), so hope to run regularly next week (in Canada, where it's not so @#$%^ hot).