MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement, all. :flowerforyou:

i only did 1.5 miles yesterday because my knee was bugging me a bit. i think it's because my leg muscles are just weak, and also not used to running two days in a row. today i'm going to just hit the gym and rock the elliptical. and do some quads work so my legs can handle the running a little better.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    At what point did you know you were ready to run daily - I really want to go run but I did yesterday and I've got a strength class tonight????/

I still don't run daily. I've read that you get the actual benefits of running on your rest days. So, if you ran yesterday, your body is healing itself - repairing tiny tears and building muscle today. Walking uses different muscles. On my days off, I always go for a brisk 30 minute walk or ride my bike.

Sometimes I do have to run 2 days in a row. When that happens I make sure that they are 2 easy runs and I don't wear the same shoes both days. Your shoes need a day off too.

Hth
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Kechie-hope you enjoy the shoes! :)

I got in 3.2 miles today on the high school track before the kids asked me to stop. I was supposed to run five but happy with how much I got in! The kids are getting used to playing on/near the track so its getting easier!

Thanks!

I am so proud of you. You're doing an awesome job with your running - not letting the kiddos keep you from it. I used my daughter as an excuse for not running for years. Good for you!:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    so i haven't even been running with you all for very long, but you can add me to the injured list -- hyperextended a knee last night playing basketball, and even walking is a challenge today. so learn from me runner friends -- choose your "cross training" activities carefully, because they can be hazardous to your health :wink:

Oh, sure, just as the competition heats up you go off and do this?! Rest and get back asap :flowerforyou:

So 4 miles for me today. I am liking my new training regimen, so far so good!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    On my way out to do the 5-mile speedwork I didn't do yesterday. Wish me luck.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I did 5 this morning and I got a road bike tonight! I'm so excited, I will be learning all about it this weekend with my dad cause I don't know much! I will still be running some too though, I can't give it up thats for sure!

~Leash :heart:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Happy Friday!

5 miles for me this morning. Not too hot this morning - a great day for a run.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.

Btw, the new shoes felt great. They will take some getting used to. I found myself resisting the urge to bounce up and down a couple of times during my run. Apparently, I had really worn the cushioning out in my other shoes.:laugh: I figured as much b/c my heels and shins were starting to bother me when I wasn't running. Take care of your shoes.:drinker:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- TGIF!!! :drinker:

I got in 6 miles this morning. Felt great! Had to do it on the treadmill -- but it was good -- we have a new family member who kept me company. Her name is Trixie and she's a blue & gold macaw! I'm trying to teach her to cheer me on while I run :laugh:

Hope you all have a great day!
    Julie
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. In the morning I will be attempting a 10 mile run. It will be my first one of that distance. I'm a little nervous. At least it won't be 100 degrees out at 6:00 a.m.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Good morning. Haven't posted in a little bit, but have still been running... :drinker:

Went 6 mountain miles last night (I think the hills got steeper somehow???) Slower than usual, 10 minute miles, but I think it was the heat and the sun beating down.

But really, is it possible that the mountain roads got steeper???
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I went running today. I would say I probably ran a mile or 1.5 miles. I went out with my bootcamp group so I really didn't pay attention.

Good news! No pain in my shin at all. It is a little tight but I have been stretching it and icing it. I also took some Ibuprofen as a precaution. Looks like I am on the mend and try to another mile on Sunday at the track. Yay!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Shuntae~ good luck on the speed work!

Kechie ~ aren't new shoes amazing! The difference astonished me!

Leash ~ happy bike riding! Do you have bike lanes where you live or do you have to risk sharing the road with cars?

Sherry ~ Yeah! I'm so glad your run didn't hurt!

chgudnitz ~ absolutely I think elevation changes on hills! some days so easy, others, I can barely make it...it can't be me...must be the extra incline! :tongue:

Julie ~ awesome idea! get the bird to cheer you on! that would be terrific!

jtinx ~ good luck with your 10 miler! I can't wait to get my mileage back up!

I did it...just a flat, easy 3 miles...although it didn't feel as easy as it should have!
    The back did pretty well. It's a little tight now. I think I'm going to put an Icy Hot back wrap on for a while and see if that helps. Might also do the P90X stretch dvd. Trying not to get frustrated, 3 miles are better than none. I'll probably not try again until Monday just to be cautious.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Becky
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Kechie-hope you enjoy the shoes! :)

I got in 3.2 miles today on the high school track before the kids asked me to stop. I was supposed to run five but happy with how much I got in! The kids are getting used to playing on/near the track so its getting easier!

Thanks!

I am so proud of you. You're doing an awesome job with your running - not letting the kiddos keep you from it. I used my daughter as an excuse for not running for years. Good for you!:drinker:

I'm trying real hard not to use my kids as an excuse, but it is hard!:laugh: I'm not a morning person, so going running before my husband leaves for work isn't an option for me. What has been working is taking the whole family out in the evening to the park and me getting in my run while my husband and daughters play together...

Got in 3 miles last night.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fita-thats what I did too when I couldnt get it done in the morning. Its surprising how well the kiddos adjust and deal with it once they do it a couple of times

Todays a rest day but not really because my brain will be spinning all day questioning if I can run 7 miles tomorrow! LOL
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    gustergirl - you can do 7 miles no problem. :glasses: Don't even think about the distance you're adding, just think of it as a nice long run.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Gustergirl- Good luck on your 7...you can so do it!

Kechie- Glad you liked your new shoes. It's about time for me to get some too. I feel so official because I am going to the running store. :laugh:

Becky- WTG on getting back to working out...be careful!

Sherry- I'm happy to see that you were able to go without pain. That must have felt great to get back out there.

Julie- That's so awesome about your bird!

jtintx- How did your 10 miles go?

~~~~

Well, I survived yesterday's speedwork. I couldn't get on the track at the local high school, so I used time and landmarks to estimate at the park. Basically, I ran hard (uncomfortable but not dying) for 12 minutes, and did recovery for 5-6 minutes for a total of 5 miles. My legs were feeling like jello by the end, but I felt good. Resting today, and deciding whether my long run will be Saturday or Sunday. Either way, it's 6 miles again. That will finish up week 2 of my training.

I realized something the other day. When it's just "working out," it's easy to let life and all my reasons get in the way. Training is a whole different animal. There's no room for "I don't want to" or "I don't feel like it." I love it. Plus, it does feel really awesome to actually say to people that I am training for a half marathon!

Happy Friday runners! :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to all the racers!

4 for me today!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Today was a classic example of "life getting in the way." Spent the whole day at a wake, then funeral, then gathering at the family's house. Then, had plans to meet up with friends we don't see often for dinner at Chili's- got home for the day at 9:45pm.

I'm PROUD to say: I resisted temptation (eg: sausage and peppers, ziti with meat sauce, pasta salad, brownies, cheese curls, apple pie, potato salad, and sandwhiches) at the family gathering after the funeral, resisted temptation at Chili's (skipped the Margarita :love: which actually was the whole purpose of going to Chili's, had the guiltless sandwhich, and shared some chips and salsa w/ the whole table), and even just now at 11:20pm got back from my run!! :happy: :happy:

YAY for resisting temptation all day long, and for finishing week 2 of Couch to 5k :happy: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I did 5 this morning and I got a road bike tonight! I'm so excited, I will be learning all about it this weekend with my dad cause I don't know much! I will still be running some too though, I can't give it up thats for sure!

~Leash :heart:

How exciting! What kind? Did you get the clipless pedals and shoes??? Be careful trying them out for the first time... road bikes are awesome!! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Well, did a test run for my tri next weekend. I went to the Y for a 1,500 yd swim, then came home for a 25 mile very hilly bike ride and then 2 mile run. Felt good and strong to the finish!!!

Good job everyone!!!

Jess