MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Gustergirl, I know what you mean about T.O.M. I have been suffering since I had my baby in Dec., so my runs have been difficult. I also have break thru bleeding when I run ( sorry guys : ]) . I had to have a uterine biopsy, so to make a long story short, I will be having surgery to correct this problem. I am excited at the benefits of the surgery. My TOMs were so heavy at times that I could not run at all, and I'm supposed to be doing a half marathon in Sept. Now, I think I will shoot for one in Oct. since I've gotten behind on my training. My point is that i was not being a whiny baby about my TOMs. I have a real medical condition that will be fixed with surgery.

Got 3 miles in this am!! Good day everyone.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Six mile run this morning with 5 X 3 minute fartleks in the middle.Good to push yourself now and then.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Tuesday to you all!

I got in 6 easy miles today. My thighs are screaming though -- I think it was the high-steppin' through all the puddles on Sunday. Nice to know I'm working those muscles!

Congrats Annaliza on your run -- sorry I have only run in 1 race so I would be no help. But how exciting that they knew about your love of running and picked you to head it up -- hats off to you!

Kechie -- thanks for the info on the garmin. I'm trying to research the difference between the three because there is a huge price difference. I've never worn a heart monitor belt thing -- sounds uncomfortable -- so I'm not sure I need that. I'll keep checking them out. Thanks for the great info!

Sonia -- sorry to hear about the "yuck" you've been experiencing. Have they set your surgery date yet? hope all goes well. Will miss you at the Rock 'n Roll -- maybe next year :)

Have a great day and happy running!
    Julie
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    Good morning! I ran an easy 2.5 miles this morning then did strength and circuit training with my personal trainer. She worked me hard, but that's good!

Sherry, when I did the Couch to 5K a couple of years ago, I got bad shin splints. I know that's not what you are describing, but I wanted to say that I ignored the pain and kept pushing way too long. I ended up in so much pain that I couldn't comfortably go up and down the stairs in my home for a number of weeks and I couldn't run without pain for months. I basically had to start over again because I had only run for 8 weeks, then I was forced to take a few months off. I would listen to your body and rest. If you can do so without pain, try to keep your cardio up by using some of the machines at the gym or by taking fast-paced walks. Good luck!
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    I am going to organize a 4mi fun run for the Folk Festival here in my small town for next year!!!!!

This is very exciting! Unfortunately I won't be of much help either but any support you need I can give. I'm sure there are several people on here with many race experiences that can offer some wisdom though. What an honor to have been asked to head this up. I'm sure you will do great and have fun doing it and when you run it you will reap the rewards of all your hard work. Good Luck!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Celebrating a great Tempo run this morning!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: 4K and for the first time I was faster than my tempo training pace WOOHOOO!!!!!! Okay, so not hugely faster I'm supposed to do them at a 5:55/km pace but instead averaged 5:52/km that's about a 9:23 in mile lingo. For me that is kick butt! Now I'll have a smile on my face all day. Followed it all with the Burn Circuit 1 for CX.

Happy Tuesday All!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sherry, when I did the Couch to 5K a couple of years ago, I got bad shin splints. I know that's not what you are describing, but I wanted to say that I ignored the pain and kept pushing way too long. I ended up in so much pain that I couldn't comfortably go up and down the stairs in my home for a number of weeks and I couldn't run without pain for months. I basically had to start over again because I had only run for 8 weeks, then I was forced to take a few months off. I would listen to your body and rest. If you can do so without pain, try to keep your cardio up by using some of the machines at the gym or by taking fast-paced walks. Good luck!

The pain was really intense. So much so that I thought I had a stress fracture. I limped for 3 weeks due to the pain. I get occaissonal twinges every now and then. Going to the sports medicine doctor in about an hour for a follow up. I will let you know how that turns out.

OH BTW - I will NEVER let the pain get that bad again!

No running for me today. I was going to do a spinning class but I woke up kinda achy and my throat is sore. Maybe a summer cold. I hate those.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Kechie -- thanks for the info on the garmin. I'm trying to research the difference between the three because there is a huge price difference. I've never worn a heart monitor belt thing -- sounds uncomfortable -- so I'm not sure I need that. I'll keep checking them out. Thanks for the great info!

The heart rate monitor belt is not too bad. If you want a heart rate monitor, you'll need the 305 or the 405.

The 205 and the 305 are pretty big but not uncomfortable at all. If you want something small that looks like a "normal" watch, go with the 405.

The 205/305 have control buttons on the side that you have to push. The 405 has either a ring that you turn or a touch screen to navigate the screens.

Amazon and Walmart have the 205 for $150 today.
    The 305 is $161 at Amazon and $210 at Walmart today.

I am watching the prices b/c I am thinking about upgrading to the 305 so I can try out the hr monitor feature. It is a great tool to make sure you are working out properly.

All of the watches come with a training center that I have not used yet. With the 205/305 you have to plug it into your pc to download your run data. The 405 automatically sends your run info to your pc when you walk in your house!

Sorry, I am a geek and a gadget freak.:embarassed:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Gustergirl, I know what you mean about T.O.M. I have been suffering since I had my baby in Dec., so my runs have been difficult. I also have break thru bleeding when I run ( sorry guys : ]) . I had to have a uterine biopsy, so to make a long story short, I will be having surgery to correct this problem. I am excited at the benefits of the surgery. My TOMs were so heavy at times that I could not run at all, and I'm supposed to be doing a half marathon in Sept. Now, I think I will shoot for one in Oct. since I've gotten behind on my training. My point is that i was not being a whiny baby about my TOMs. I have a real medical condition that will be fixed with surgery.

Got 3 miles in this am!! Good day everyone.

It is great to see you today:flowerforyou: Glad you will be getting better soon.:heart:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Finally got back to running. Because of being on call, and then getting broken up with by my (now ex) girlfriend, I was kind of in a bad place and really didn't feel like running. Got back into it last night along with the housemate. We're starting to train for a 10k now.

How has everyone been? Not gonna read through all 400 posts, much as I love ya'll :wink:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Ok...I can't believe this but...

I am going to organize a 4mi fun run for the Folk Festival here in my small town for next year!!!!!

Congrats Liza! I have never organized a race but I have attended a lot. Count on me as a resource.:flowerforyou:

Will you have to find race sponsors?
    Of course, you'll want to have a free t-shirt for all of the racers.:laugh:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Finally got back to running. Because of being on call, and then getting broken up with by my (now ex) girlfriend, I was kind of in a bad place and really didn't feel like running. Got back into it last night along with the housemate. We're starting to train for a 10k now.

How has everyone been? Not gonna read through all 400 posts, much as I love ya'll :wink:

Fat and sassy:smile:

Welcome back! Congratulations on the 10k goal. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

Welcome back Msarro!
    Sorry to hear about the ex-girlfriend :heart: - or maybe not! :brokenheart: Glad to hear you are back on track running! 10k sounds like a great race! Have fun training!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I've been MIA for the past few days - I've been reading but not posting. Last week I stuck to my RW training. It was a nice week - 7 miles each day. Now this week everything is kicked up a notch (or five :noway: ). I'm doing 9 miles today once the dryer repairman leaves my house! :tongue:

I'm also stepping up my weight loss by tracking calories again. I got lax for a few months there, and boy, it is crazy how the weight can just creep back, in spite of running like a crazy woman almost everyday and eating healthy foods. I think my portion sizes were completely out of whack. So, let me be a lesson -- although you are running each and every day, and burning a bunch of calories, you still have to watch what you're eating. :grumble: Back on the stupid calorie-tracking bandwagon for me. BAH! I hate obsessing over calories, but I guess it is the only way that works for me.

Annaliza - How cool that you are organizing a race. It sounds like it will be a lot of work, but I bet you do a fantastic job. Running in races is the only experience I have - I've never organized one. I'll try to help you out the best I can, though! You'll have to think of prizes. Are you going to do the traditional medal for the winners or something more creative. My favorite prize was a African Violet plant with a silver thing (I don't know the technical name, but it looks like the plastic tags that stick in the dirt, which identifies the plant and how to take care of it) that had the name of the race, the date and the place that I finished engraved in it. I ran that race over a year ago, and I still have that plant a live and kicking!

Msarro - glad you're back. Sorry about the girlfriend situation. Running is my therapy. It is the best time for me to sort things out in my head. Maybe it will help you get in a better place. :flowerforyou: Good luck with the 10K training.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Another hot and humid day here as well! Did 6.20 in 65 minutes !
    It's funny because I honestly didn't think it was that hilly, but 2 of the 3 ladies I ran with were dying. They kept saying *oh, yeah, she says there are only 2 big hills, it's not hilly* then they screamed (laughing) *it was all freaking uphill!*
    At one point they claimed the temperature dropped 20 degrees and the oxygen thinned! LOL! :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile:
    Okay, maybe there were a couple large hills. And maybe it never did seem to go downhill...but we did it!

Annaliza~how exciting! I'm so proud of you! That is awesome! :flowerforyou:

Julie ~ I have no personal experience with heart rate monitor straps, but I know my running partners have quit wearing theirs because after 2-3 miles they were getting terrible burns/chafing. It's why I didn't get one.

Kechie ~ you are the gadget queen! You are so knowledgeable! Good to know who to turn to for advice!

Msarro~ welcome back. Sorry (?) about the break-up!

Tom ~ welcome back to the hot and humid south! :wink:

Have a great day everyone!

Becky
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday, and I would like to get support from other people that are running/attempting to run (me :wink: ). May I join your group or how does the whole group thing work here??

My baby is 4 months old. I had been running before I got pregnant and stopped once I found out. I started running again after my 6 week check up, but stopped once I returned to my job. I have gotten my butt back in gear and ran the last 4 days straight! I ran outside and even didn't hold onto the treadmill for my other runs.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Of course you can join in! :smile: We just check in with eachother as time allows...some of us weekly or daily or several times a day. It's an amazing group of people of all running levels. I started running in April and thanks to the encouragement from this board, I just did my first 9 mile run last week!
    Welcome! Congratulations on the new baby! :flowerforyou:
    Becky
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've been lurking for a few days, reading all the posts, all the way from page 1. And you all jinxed me! All that talk about blisters a few pages back, and all of a sudden, on Sunday night (the day I read about the blisters) I'm out walking the dog (only walking!) and I get a blister on my heel about halfway through. 3/4 of the way through, it busted. Thanks guys!:laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, I've been lurking for tips, because I started c25k a few weeks back. Just did my first week 3 run today. I couldn't make it all the way through my last 3 minute run :grumble: , so I figure I'll just keep working at it til I can.

I did go get a new pair of shoes yesterday, at the one store in town that does fittings. They are the most expensive shoes I've ever bought! lol, they probably cost more than all the other shoes in my closet combined.

Anyways, thanks for the support, even though you never knew you were giving it:wink:
    -Robin
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Robin and jdubard0413. No pressure to post here. Post whenever you feel like it.

Annaliza, wow congrats to you for organizing a race. Let us know how it goes.

Msarro, sorry to hear about your girlfriend. Like Heather said, running is therapy. Hopefully you will feel better after you get out a few times.

Good news today. I just came back from my follow up appointment with the sports medicine doctor. Things are good. The knot on my shin is gone and there is no pain. I gave him the update on my orthotics, PT and running. He said "as long as you are happy then I am happy". I told him I still had twinges of pain and he said it would come and go. I only need to see him when I feel I need to see him. I told him it wouldn't be for a long time because I plan on working smart and not hurting myself again!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also new to MFP and am a returning runner. I have done one and only one 5K race last year and that was when I was in my best shape. Now I'm trying to get back there and it seems harder than it did when I first began a couple years ago. Any tips? I'm at my desk or in class most of the day so I'm lucky to get a run in. I have slight exercise induced asthma that had gone away but is sadly back so I'm stuck on the treadmill in the non-humid and pollen infested air. Hope someone out there has some tips for me :wink: