Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    "You need to stop losing weight. You are way too skinny now."

"Is your husband feeding you? Every time I see you, you've lost more weight" [What do you mean "is my husband feeding me?" I am very capable of feeding myself and do so regularly, thanks!]

"You have just enough meat left on your bones to still look pretty so why are you trying to lose weight?"

"What do you mean your doctor wants you to weigh 120 pounds? Maybe he just wants you to be super skinny before you get pregnant and then have you gain all the weight back" [Um, no Grandma. He wants me to be close to my ideal weight because my pregnancy will be high risk anyway and I intend to be healthy through the entire thing and though I will gladly gain as much weight as my baby needs, I will not keep the weight on afterwards!]
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    "Yeah, I need to lose weight too." - The skinny co-worker who has no extra fat on her body.
    "I gave up trying years ago." - The overwieght co-worker who is miserable.

Both! Yep!
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    "I'm sick of your healthy cooking, I want something that tastes good!" Once again, sorry Grammy. XD

I get this one alot...
  • bethb4
    bethb4 Posts: 48
    Options
    From my (in shape) husband via email: My coworker's kid is selling cookie dough - do we want any?
    Me: *I* don't want any, but I know you and the kids would like it...it's up to you, assuming you're paying for it.

End result: He ordered SIX TUBS OF COOKIE DOUGH.

*facepalm*

ahahhhahah!!! OMG!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    but you carry your weight well lolllllll more like you carry your weight whale
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Don't get rid of your too big clothes, I'm sure you'll need them again (Thanks for the vote of confidence Mom)

Why bother, you'll gain it all back plus some. Dieting doesn't work. (It's called a lifestyle change actually)

Your grandma made all your favorites, her feelings are going to be hurt if you don't have some (Of each apparently... 3 kinds of pie, homemade donuts and chocolate cake)

I don't know what you're talking about, chicken is a diet food (not when it's deep fried chicken wings floating in honey garlic)

LOL I love that last one... yeah, cheese is great protein too but when it's smothering something and covered in sauce - guess what! Not good anymore!

Yes, at that point it's AHMAZING!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Worst things I ever heard were doozies (and both by the same person who was a certified personal trainer!)

"Do you know why bad things have happened to you and you gained weight? It's because you must have been a bad person in a previous life. "

"If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do. Every day, eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of carrot juice, and 2 cups of milk... and *that's all you should eat*."

WTF previous life? I had a doctor once who wouldnt help me with an ailment because she believed it would resolve in my next life.

I think calling anyone like this a "doctor" or a "certified" personal trainer is stretching it, don't you?

"TOTAL QUACK" or "FRAUD" seem more appropriate. . . just sayin'.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well I hope you can keep it off this time. :huh:
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    "If you lose anymore weight, your face will disappear."

Yeah, like I have control on whether or not I lose weight in my face....

:tongue:

Yup... I see it all the time, those skinny girls in the gym with no faces... Quite sad really...

:huh:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "you've lost enough already. you're too skinny." (currently i am about 20 lbs heavier than when i got married, yet no one said i was "too skinny" back then!)

"you're making me look bad."

"i could never work that hard."
  • pizzygirltx
    pizzygirltx Posts: 96
    Options
    So i am constantly telling people that I am NOT dieting, but changing my eating habits. That I am allowed to eat whatever I like as long as it is moderation. However, I mostly eat salads or tuna or the like for lunch. So on the days that I splurge and eat something like a home made hamburger or mashed potatoes, I get comments like

"Are you allowed to eat that on your diet?"

"Shouldn't you be eating your rabbit food instead?"

"Have you given up on your diet and gone back to eating again?"

I just say yep and ignore them lol
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    "Why are you trying to look like a white woman?"

What is this? White women are skinny and black women are fat?

Uh, I think most of the larger women on this site are white... just saying...

haha!.. im a glow in the dark white woman (so wish i was kidding... I do tan but my legs and belly glow in the dark) and im 5'8 and 367 lbs both the original comment and the comment on the comment had me laughing
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    From my fiance: "Want to go to the Long Grove Chocolate Fest this weekend?" (local town by us has an annual fest devoted to all things chocolate, the fest was a week after I really got serious about this diet and tracking here on MFP)

From my mom: "Oh good!", complete with that particular tone of voice (my mom, master of the back-handed compliment)
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    I get "Oh, yeah, how long is that gonna last?!" Well, it's been a month... and I feel better than I've ever felt so screw you.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My mom's probably the worst. "Oh, I thought you were watching what you ate. You shouldn't be eating that. Didn't you just eat dinner?" as I eat a tomato for a snack and she eats a buttered poptart.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    "When I see it, I will believe it.."

I've told almost nobody outside the home about what I'm doing. I heard enough snarky remarks while I was pregnant about do this, not this, that I think I'm just gonna take a vacation from it! When they see it THEN they can get snarky lol
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    From a person obviously smaller than me: You don't need to lose wight, you're not fat; I'm the fat one.

Uh, no. You are at least 8 sizes smaller than me in the same pants and three sizes smaller for the same shirt. You weigh about 40 pounds less than me you're 6 inches taller. Bite me.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i really hate that one.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

"you're making me look bad."

Yep! I've heard this from close friends. OH, let me put all that weight back on so you feel better about not doing anything about your weight problem. Fists. Of. Rage.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    "When I see it, I will believe it.."

I've told almost nobody outside the home about what I'm doing. I heard enough snarky remarks while I was pregnant about do this, not this, that I think I'm just gonna take a vacation from it! When they see it THEN they can get snarky lol

^^this. i don't talk about diet on FB. I don't talk about it with people that aren't family. Even the family is annoyed with me! haha! Thank god for MFP that I can talk about it here.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    How about when people say nothing at all when you say you need to go on a diet! I would LOVE someone to just argue with me!