Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Regarding counting calories and watching macros:
    "Special occasions shouldn't count against what you're doing... They're "free-bees"

Or the most potentially destructive, when at a party: "Hey, you've just had a beer. Your diet is blown for the day anyway, so why not take a day off and start in on these nachos and pizza? Go all out! You can go back to dieting tomorrow! Take a day off!"

Umm, no. I do allow myself to go over in calories some days, but not for cheap-*kitten* nachos and greasy pizza. And "I'm over by a little" does not lead it "so it's OK to be over by a LOT."
  • kizanewton22
    Options
    wow ive heard that one before way to many times
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you losing weight faster? You should talk to your doctor about that.

This was said to me by my "friend" who's currently losing weight with the help of phentermine. She openly admits that she has no desire to change the way she eats and is proud of the fact that with the help of phentermine, she can go all day without eating anything and then binges on whole bags of pizza rolls at 10 pm or better yet, wakes up with empty chip bags in her bed. But she's still lost 11 lbs in a month compared to my 6 so obviously her diet is better and I should take pills with her. :huh:
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    "If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do. Every day, eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of carrot juice, and 2 cups of milk... and *that's all you should eat*."

The funny thing is, I just entered that "diet" into my diary for tomorrow, just for grins. Using whole milk, it's a sparse but relatively well-balanced diet. It's 816 calories, so you certainly couldn't LIVE on it comfortably, but it at least has approximately the right proportions of fat, carbs, and proteins.

In fact, by doubling the milk and adding a cup of rice, the diet is only lacking ten grams of fat to be a perfect daily intake for me, plus I'd have to add a little sodium and look into a multivitamin or something.

Not that I would want to eat the same thing every day or find that satisfying, but DAMN that's close to an ideal combination if you had to pick only three things to eat. This doctor may not be so much of a quack, other than the silly "and ONLY eat that" BS.

First off I would starve eating only this and it wouldn't do anything for my diabetes either. Maybe cholesterol hmm let me think about this for a minute, NOT. :noway:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Mom: "I'll pay you ten dollars per pound you lose."
    Me: "Ok I'll take that bet."

...She had to cap it at 50 pounds or $500 dollars and I got a shopping spree :) I have to give her credit though, she really was trying to help and it worked.

What! Jealous! I wish someone would offer me money to lose weight. That is GREAT motivation.

It totally was, and she kept pestering me until I kept at it :)
  • Toyya
    Toyya Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate when people make comments about not being able to eat in front of me, or apologize for eating something I can't. Like seriously guys, I have self-control and I'm not going to be drooling and feeling bad for myself b/c you're eating cookies.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    "I bet you don't even use that gym membership. You just like to flash around the card."

"You're a Southerner! Southerners don't drink water, we drink tea--SWEET tea!" Oddly enough I got this from a complete stranger in a restaurant right after she had yelled at the waiter for bringing her unsweet as though there weren't a million sweetener packets on the table that would've done the same damn thing. My "I don't even like sweet tea" excuse wasn't good enough for her.

"So I guess when you're skinny you'll dress like a slut too, huh?"
  • satanlovesyou
    Options
    People always keep asking if I'm on a low carb diet when I tell them that I'm trying to eat less carbs.. But nope, I just eat too much of them compared to the fat and protein I'm eating. One person actually thought that I was avoiding carbs at all causes.
  • Caldwellsa24
    Caldwellsa24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far has been "are you sure your body can take running" yes i am pretty sure it can take running since not running is what got me into this in the first place.

I have since done two 5ks and signed up for a half marathon... where to be honest my goal is not to die.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Mom: "I'll pay you ten dollars per pound you lose."
    Me: "Ok I'll take that bet."

...She had to cap it at 50 pounds or $500 dollars and I got a shopping spree :) I have to give her credit though, she really was trying to help and it worked.

Now THAT is a great story.

medium_applause.gif

Hubs says my reward for the weight loss will be $1500 for new clothes and then a boob lift. I DESERVE IT.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    "OMG! What diet are you on?" ME: "Oh just eating healthy and exercising"

i always get crickets or head tilts or eyes rolled like no on earth has ever lost weight just by being a healthy person. They think you have to have a gimmick to lose.

Same here. It's like they can't fathom that a fat girl would WANT to work out and eat healthy. :huh:
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you losing weight faster? You should talk to your doctor about that.

This was said to me by my "friend" who's currently losing weight with the help of phentermine. She openly admits that she has no desire to change the way she eats and is proud of the fact that with the help of phentermine, she can go all day without eating anything and then binges on whole bags of pizza rolls at 10 pm or better yet, wakes up with empty chip bags in her bed. But she's still lost 11 lbs in a month compared to my 6 so obviously her diet is better and I should take pills with her. :huh:

Considering our society seems to reward the utmost display of laziness a person can muster I am not surprised your 'friend' is foolishly proud of her complete lack of self control.
  • ehoganallison
    ehoganallison Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was told recently, "we never understood why and how you let yourself get so big to start with. Don't you have a college education?". Ugh...this was said by a smoker/alcoholic.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I think the funniest thing I've ever heard on this is from a Kevin James standup special where he mentioned that when you tell people you're on a diet, you tend to get people who clearly need it more than you do offering you advice. It's like, umm, if you were in any position to be giving me advice on the matter, you wouldn't be in even worse shape than I am like you are.

Also, at my old church in Pembroke Pines, FL, we had a priest who was obese at 300+ lbs, a drinker, and a smoker. Something about hearing him talk about how your body is a temple unto God made the whole church seem hypocritical.
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My MIL to my husband, after not seeing us for over three months: "What, have you stopped feeding her?!"

:D Haha! No, I've just finally gotten into the healthy BMI range by eating right and exercising!
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "You're getting too skinny"

-.-

Some days I just don't have enough middle fingers
  • RiseAndConverge
    RiseAndConverge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My wonderful husband who cooks dinner every night promised me he'd make healthier dinners and that we'd do this together. The next day I come home to fried pork chops. He says, "but I fried them in olive oil and olive oil is healthy"

Me: *facepalm*

I love him so much for the effort he puts into making dinner every night and felt horrible saying something, but if thigns kept going that way, all of my daily effort would be screwed by dinner. Now he bakes everything. He's wonderful.

My mom: If I couldn't do it, you definitely cant do it.
    Me: Watch me.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options

-.-

Some days I just don't have enough middle fingers

We'll help!
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    "I know you are on a diet so I brought you carrot cake"

Actually, NO, that doesn't count as one portion of vegetables!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

You tend to start hearing this one when you're still a good 20-30 lbs off of your goal weight, based on my experience.