Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not totally what you were asking but a friend of mine that has always had issues with her weight has lost a lot on WW so it seems she's suddenly become a member of the "all you have to do is eat less exercise more"" brigade. I went out to dinner with her and our other friend who has never had problems with her weight (as far as I know) to Pizza Express. I was careful to order form the Leggara range but didn't mention anything about diets etc although apparently its explicite that I must be on one anyway because I am getting married!

I had told them about the wedding plans and that I got on really well with my Mother in law but she had shocked me when I last saw her when I had a few pieces of fruit before dinner and she said" i thought you were trying to lose weight for your wedding" (i'd not told her any such plans).

Then the friend of mine who's lost a lot of weight on WW suddenly started a convo about how her Mum has put on tons of weight then they continued to have a very cringy conversation about how disgusting she is for putting on so much weight but I also realised that they suddenly remembered that they are sitting opposite someone who is much larger. But they couldn't stop themselves going on and on about who needs to lose weight and why and how terrible they are blah blah.

They tried to change to subject but ended up talking about how much you need your mother when you're pregnant and when you have a baby (I'm trying for a baby soon after marriage and my Mum passed away 6 years ago), great subject changer.

Dessert menu came around. I tried to order the leggara dessert which they didn't have so ordered a coffee instead. To which they both turned on me (they had ordered desserts) "why you not ordering a dessert?" (really confrontational with disgust in their voices) "you on a diet or something? Don't tell me you took to heart what your Mother in Law said did you!"

Did they really expect me to order a dessert after all that?
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have ten lbs to go but that wasn't always the case and over the weekend someone scoffed at me when I said I was on a diet program (see my diary) and that I had lost a lot but still had ten more to hit goal. All I got was an:

" Oh please! Shut up!"

Thanks B!tch, enjoy your pizza, was all I thought to myself.

SMH.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    "So what are you doing to lose weight?"

The same two things EVERYONE has done since EVER: changed eating habits and exercise regularly. HELLO!:noway:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "So I guess when you're skinny you'll dress like a slut too, huh?"

:noway: No. way. A complete stranger actually said that to you? In the South? I do believe that's adequate cause for pistols at dawn. Or just taking the tea she obviously doesn't like and dumping it on her head.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    "Oh go ahead, it's just one brownie." An hour or two later, they say the same thing. :/
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "What do you need to lose weight for"?

GET THE EFF OUT OF HERE....I am obviously fat....sheesh!!!

Ummmm cause my clothes don't fit, my tummy jiggles, the room goes silent when I enter... shall I continue?

and because when I get on a bus or train people get very uncomfortable that I may choose the seat next to them.......
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "I love your big *kitten*!"

Oh I'm so glad you do...I'd love to give it to you if you'd like, because I'm working on getting rid of it.

:angry:

Or...my all-time favorite is from my grandma. "You know, if you lost some weight, you'd have a good job and a husband."

:sad:

(I actually have a good job, I just don't enjoy it...and I'd rather have a guy who loves me *regardless* of what I look like as opposed to only wanting a skinny girl.)
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    "You're seriously going to drink water with dinner AGAIN?"

Yes... I like it and I don't want a billion sugary, fizzy crap drinks in my system right now so that I'm wasting my appetite on crap and not food. :grumble:
  • ChastinMiller
    Options
    "Are you going to eat rabbit food for the rest of your life?"

Being told by one of my coworkers that she's beginning to hate carrots now because she sees/hears me eating them everyday.

"What's your secret?" There is no secret! I just don't expect to lose 30lbs over night and when it doesn't happen I don't get disappointed. Working with a department full of women has driven me to the point of insanity. Haha. I think they've tried just about every new diet out there and when they don't see big results real fast they give up and move onto the next one.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    "Where do you want to eat since you're the picky one?"

I'm not picky, I just choose not to eat food that makes me look and feel like ****!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    "But men like women with curves!"

Going to shoot that one down right now....

Real men, like a woman, who is happy.
    Curves means nothing if there isn't a smile on her face....
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    This was said to me by my "friend" who's currently losing weight with the help of phentermine. She openly admits that she has no desire to change the way she eats and is proud of the fact that with the help of phentermine, she can go all day without eating anything and then binges on whole bags of pizza rolls at 10 pm or better yet, wakes up with empty chip bags in her bed. But she's still lost 11 lbs in a month compared to my 6 so obviously her diet is better and I should take pills with her. :huh:

*urp!* This makes me barf. I am really sorry your friend disparages you for your obviously better and more healthy way of losing weight. Cheap and fast isn't good. ("Cheap" meaning without exercise investment, not necessarily that phentermine is cheap in dollars.)

"Yeah, I have no idea how I got fat - I eat nothing but greasy food and chemically laden processed 'foods,' but only 4000 calories per day. Just give me some meds to make the fat go away. I have a glandular problem." (Obviously this is not to disparage anyone who truly has a glandular problem. There are just people (and I used to be one of them!) with super-unhealthy habits who have "no idea" how they got fat.)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This one actually cracks me up:

"Oh you're lifting weights? Not me, I don't want to bulk up!"

LOL! Yeah I am really about to bust out of my clothes over here because I look like the Hulk!
    I love lifting weights because it allows me to eat more (yay) and maintain my goal weight, thank you very much!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    "You're going to die some day, either way, you might as well enjoy life [and eating all that crap]"
    (yeah, but I'd like to be healthy and able to move around and enjoy my grandkids)
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "you don't need to watch what you eat, look at you!"

****** I look this way BECAUSE I watch what I eat

Exactly!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

Or...my all-time favorite is from my grandma. "You know, if you lost some weight, you'd have a good job and a husband."

:sad:

(I actually have a good job, I just don't enjoy it...and I'd rather have a guy who loves me *regardless* of what I look like as opposed to only wanting a skinny girl.)

Oh, my dad said something similar to me the other day. I'm currently in a transition period, and my job is ending. I've been on a few interviews and haven't been hired yet. My dad said, "Once you lose weight, they'll be knocking things over to hire you because you'll be so pretty."

Okay.. maybe he meant it as a compliment... maybe it's true... but I still didn't want to hear him say that.

And I agree... I want a man that likes me for me... not just what I look like
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    You don't need to lose anymore weight (followed by a panicked look)!
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm not that easily offended, but this one made me laugh: "You're measuring your food? That isn't healthy, Sweetie. That's an obsession."
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This is an annoying one:

"You looked better BEFORE you lost all this weight, you boobs and *kitten* are a lot smaller now".

Yup, that's true, they are.. but so is my stomach, arms, and thighs, but lets not pay attention to those parts..
  • Stasha17
    Stasha17 Posts: 28
    Options
    Why are you on a diet? You dont need to lose weight....."You cute for a BIG girl"