Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Or the ever present "have you tried the kiwi and cumquat diet? It says you can lose that 20 pounds in .000034 nanoseconds and it's only $129.95 a week!"

LOL THIS THIS THIS!!!!

When you start losing the pounds you're obviously doing something right! When i was 260 nobody suggested specific diets to me... now that I've lost almost 50 1st I get asked "what have you been doing?" I then answer with healthy diet, exercise blah blah blah & the reponse is almost always. "Oh wow... I've heard you can lose really fast if you cut out gluten or carbs or wheat or meat or dairy or red-colored food or all solid food.... ever tried that?"

geesh man.. thanks for the suggestion but why would I go on an "eliminate this" diet when i can eat anything I want & it works?!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    "But you're so proportionate."

"You carry your weight well."
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    My mom goes "I can't make changes to this recipe for you. I'm an old woman (53) so I NEED meat on my bones."

Then she added 2 FREAKING CUPS of full fat parmesan cheese. I was adding her recipe to the MFP database because I wanted some of her Tortellini. I NEVER knew she put 1550 calories of cheese in it. Her recipe doubled in calories when she did that.

Now the joke around my house is:

I'm not sure this salad is gonna bind properly. I should add 2 cups of parmesan cheese.
    OR
    Something is missing in this breaded chicken breast. It's a little bland. I should add 2 cups of parmesan cheese.
    Or
    You know what would go really well with this low-fat chocolate pudding? 2 cups of parmesan cheese.

:laugh:

14839892.png

this made me LOL
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    "It's about time. I was wondering how big your *kitten* would get this time before you finally decided to stop stuffing your face"

"I'm happy you've been losing some weight but you're not done yet, right? I mean you're still pretty big"

That is pretty much verbal abuse. I am sorry that anyone would talk to you like that.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    oh, well then you should try this diet out...

How long will you last on it...

How long will you keep the weight off...

**LIFESTYLE CHANGE**:bigsmile:
  • JimmyfromNYC
    JimmyfromNYC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can you eat Muffins?
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    I was in a Nutrition 1020 class and the teacher said "Men don't count calories"...I understand that normally we don't...but there are a lot of guys that do!

also "Is that all you're going to eat?"
    "Do you know how many carbs are in that?" -As they chomped down on a Chocolate chip muffin..
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    "don't lose too much weight!!!" / "don't lose anymore weight!!!"

why? then I'd make you look even worse? or am I too stupid to choose a proper goal weight on my own?

and another most hated comment that I will say something about..."you only have time to work out and eat well because you don't have kids....I'm a mother of blah blah blah and going to the gym or jogging would be taking time away from my kids and I just can't do that!"

umm yeah, I chose not to have kids. So sure I probably do have more free time than you but you are choosing to be out of shape and making excuses about it and it has nada to do with me or your kids. I know moms who work or go to school and parent and put time into being fit and look amazing, because they want it and make an actual effort.

I just really dislike when people pour their excuses for being fat onto me like I have something to do with it?
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chersheppard
    chersheppard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    'I wasnt going to say but.... you looked very bloated'

NICE

My sister said that to me in the summer, I said, did you just call me fat?

Luckily we had a good laugh over it.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    "That's all you're eating?? You just paid 11 bucks for a salad! Go get more food that's a waste of money!" Said by all three of my very over weight sisters when we went to a buffet together.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    "Are you going to eat rabbit food for the rest of your life?"

Being told by one of my coworkers that she's beginning to hate carrots now because she sees/hears me eating them everyday.

"What's your secret?" There is no secret! I just don't expect to lose 30lbs over night and when it doesn't happen I don't get disappointed. Working with a department full of women has driven me to the point of insanity. Haha. I think they've tried just about every new diet out there and when they don't see big results real fast they give up and move onto the next one.

I am *so* tired of raw baby carrots... LOLZ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stacydt1
    stacydt1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an inspiration board in my room which says at the bottom "1.5 pounds a week" to help me remind myself of my weekly goal. A friend was in my room and said, sounding shocked, "You want to lose 1.5 pounds a week?!" I responded calmly, "I am losing 1.5 pounds a week." She replied, "Oh...." and scoffed.

With supportive friends like these, it's no wonder I have to turn to a board for inspiration.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    "But you're so proportionate."

"You carry your weight well."

*facepalm* those two are the worst!
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    I have a few:

1.) A lady at work, not long after I started losing - "Well, whatever you're doing it's working - that pillow you've been carrying around is almost gone." First, what pillow - you mean my gut?, and second, I had lost like 5 pounds - could there really have been that big a difference?

2.) "Wow you look great - what are you doing?"
    I explain that I'm eating at a deficit, exercising, and eating back my exercise cals.
    The response - "Wow, I could never do that!" - I have gotten this one from a LOT of people.

3.) And of course - "When are you going to stop dieting?" First, I'm not "dieting," and second - NEVER!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    not sure if its stupid, but it was frustrating to hear:

"you'd think the weight would be just dropping off with all this running you're doing"

I know what you mean. I exercise almost every day and watch what I eat and can't seem to lose. I get comments like that all the time. Really ticks me off especially when your friends should be supporting you.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started a new job a few years ago and the people that worked near me were always jokingly criticizing me for snacking all the time. I told them I was doing it intentionally, and it was going to make me LOSE weight. They thought that was even funnier. I spent the next 4 months snacking all day long, watching them look at each other and roll their eyes. Mid-morning if someone was running an errand for the office, they'd offer to get us all McDonalds breakfast (even though we'd all already had breakfast). I always politely refused, then immediately looked up the nutrition information online to remind myself I had made the right decision. My boss would actually sneer at me. "You need to learn to live in moderation," she'd say. She'd eat her McDonalds breakfast and spend the rest of the day whining about being too old to lose any weight (she was 55). Meanwhile, I lost 30 pounds. Then I quit that job.
  • SecondChance2012
    Options
    OMG! I SO feel your post! Here are some of the little tid bits I've been treated to over the course of my dieting life:

"You'd be a lot prettier if you could lose some weight. I just baked a tunnel of fudge cake. Here's a slab."

"I think size 8 should be a plus size but you look great at any weight."

"I am sooo faaaat (said by a very thin person). You're luck because you have such a pretty face."

The following was said to me by a guy trying to grab a midnight kiss from me on New Year's Eve:

"You're lucky you have a pretty face because you're fat and if you didn't have a pretty face, nobody at this party would be talking to you."

Then, this man actually became insulted when I refused to "kiss" in the new year with him. AS IF!!! He's lucky I didn't make any comments about him but not only do I have a "pretty face" but I'm considerate of other peole's feelings, too.

I'm sure there are more but that's enough negativity for one day for me.

KEEP ON YOUR DIETS.........WE ARE WORTH IT!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Or...my all-time favorite is from my grandma. "You know, if you lost some weight, you'd have a good job and a husband."

:sad:

(I actually have a good job, I just don't enjoy it...and I'd rather have a guy who loves me *regardless* of what I look like as opposed to only wanting a skinny girl.)

Oh, my dad said something similar to me the other day. I'm currently in a transition period, and my job is ending. I've been on a few interviews and haven't been hired yet. My dad said, "Once you lose weight, they'll be knocking things over to hire you because you'll be so pretty."

Okay.. maybe he meant it as a compliment... maybe it's true... but I still didn't want to hear him say that.

And I agree... I want a man that likes me for me... not just what I look like
    Personally I prefer for people to tell me the truth, my husband and family didn't say a negative word towards me when I was gaining all that weight so I didn't notice until I could barely walk. Now if I hear someone say I've gained a few lbs, yes I get a bit embarrassed but I thank them for letting me know and let them know I'm working on it :)
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    "It's about time. I was wondering how big your *kitten* would get this time before you finally decided to stop stuffing your face"

"I'm happy you've been losing some weight but you're not done yet, right? I mean you're still pretty big"

That is pretty much verbal abuse. I am sorry that anyone would talk to you like that.

Who on earth has the balls to say something like that??? That's just plain insulting and I can tell you they wouldn't be a friend for long.