Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've donated 33 (I think) times. I'm O-neg so they love me. :) It's such a small sacrifice for me and potentially life-saving for someone else, so I figure it's the least I can do. :)
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Technically I don't donate, I trade blood for cookies whenever I am eligible. :)

Haha sounds like me. One Baskin Robbins was offering a pint of ice cream for a pint of blood, hell yeah
    Ice Cream? Damn. I thought I was getting a great deal. lol
    I will admit though that they are pretty quality cookies. :laugh:
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I like donating.
    I hate when they keep calling my house and emailing me to donate because I have a rare blood type.
    Stop trying to dry me out!
  • harrisaman
    Options
    I haven't ever donated blood, however I do donate plasma....Today actually! I love being able to help someone in need, however I have to say those needles are HUGE! Owie~
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to, but every time the blood drive would come around, I couldn't for one reason or another. Getting pierced. Getting tattooed. Anemia. Pregnancy. Oh well. Guess it was just never meant for me.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I donate as well, I became a gallon donor with my last donation. My least favorite part about it is when they poke my finger as well.
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    yep. I am O+, I have tried for a long time, always anemic, but the last two times I have tried, I have been able to donate!! I also think the lancet hurts the most. Even though I am a nurse, I cannot watch that needle being stuck into my arm! (althought I LOVE drawing blood!)

I hope to donate plasma within the near future :)
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to donate blood for a while now. I signed up to do so in February, but couldn't because I'd been to Malaysia recently. I tried again once the mandatory wait period was over, but because I'd had an injection I couldn't donate in June. Now I have to wait until late this month when the Red Cross people show up at my university. Hopefully there won't be any roadblocks this time. Bit nervous though - I really, really, hate needles.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    no but have donated PLASMA. Can't belive you guys think a poke in the finger is bad. try out a 17 gauge needle and lay there for an hour pumping your hand.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I can't unless it is for myself because I am under their lower weight limit. My husband donates several times a year.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Massive phobia of needles, blood tests and IVs being the worst for me, so i haven't yet. On the Bucket List tho so I will do it at least once one day if they let me :)
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I have but it kinda creeps me out lolol so I'm always scared to donate
  • canoe_dude
    canoe_dude Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Got my gallon pin, and I still get faint almost every time. Often wondered if I could add donating to my exercise list.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I do! But they wouldn't take it last time because it hadn't been a year since I got a tattoo :( I agree that its a simple way to give back.

This is my problem. Twenty-eight days til I can.
  • SRMcEvoy
    SRMcEvoy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had two matches. But the first time they did not get well enough to transplant.
  • SRMcEvoy
    SRMcEvoy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have donated 27 pints. And got the chance a few years back to donate bone marrow through the unrelated bone marrow donor network. Wrote a series of newspaper articles about it. http://bit.ly/GiveMarrow

That's awesome! I am on the bone marrow donor registry but never donated.

I have had two matches. But the first time they did not get well enough to transplant.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I donate--as often as I can. I have a 3 gallon pin. It's my way of helping others w/o a big time commitment, and it feels like a cleansing, of sorts, to me.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't donate blood but I donate plasma twice a week!
  • jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I donate regularly, every 56 days. I make the next appt right after I donate. I always hear the radio ads about an urgent need for O negative blood which is my blood type and feel guilty if I don't donate. You never know when you or someone close to you is going to need it. Like they say it's in you to give! Costs me nothing and could help save someone life, that's all the motivation I need.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wish I could, but I lived in England during that whole mad cow thing.