Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love donating. They've moved me to platelets because I have so many. If my iron is not too low, then they get enough platelets for two or three, so I love that. I need to go back because now I'm eating better and taking supplements for my iron. A way looking time ago, I earned a two- galloneer t- shirt. That was a very special day.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    No, I do not qualify to give blood due to living overseas certain years as a child.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I'm O+ and am involved in the medical field. I have assisted on so many transfusions that I feel a personal responsibility to donate. I used to be terrified of needles, but after my last couple stints in the hospital I think I'm used to them.

No matter what, though, I pass out at the end. I just give blood laying down these days, tell them I might pass out but that I'll be fine.

My next donation is scheduled for the 21st of this month! It's been awhile!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I started donating blood as a way to get over my fear of needles. It's worked out great, and i'm always happy to know that i'm helping someone.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I wish I could, but it takes 20+ sticks for my doctor to get my yearly blood work. I donate items for emergencies instead.
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would if i could. But, because of my health problems i'm not allowed to donate any blood. i guess it makes sense, i need all the blood that i have for myself as it is. I'm O+, which is a universal donor too. Too bad i can't :(
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I probably would if I needed to, but I am MASSIVELY afraid of needles (I have almost passed out just having blood taken for a routine physical) and have yet to donate it.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    As often as they'll let me! My mother almost died on the table during a routine surgery, she had "a bleeder" and they couldn't find/stop it very quickly so she ended up needing four units of transfusions. Four strangers saved her life. So now I donate as often as I can. I know there are a lot of people who can't, for various reasons, so I think those of us who are capable have a responsibility to donate.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can't give blood because I'm a sexually active gay male. Its sad really.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I just don't like how I feel the next few days after. Light headed and can't really work out.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! :heart:

My son had open heart surgery at 6 months old and they had to use alot of donor blood in the PICU and donor blood was used to prime the heart lung by pass machine.

People like you all helped save his life, literally!!!

Every time I go to donate I am turned away. They say my veins are too small for the huge needles they use. I about cry every time.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I give blood! I'm O- , so they harass me if I dont :) When I give blood I cannot look at the needle when they put it...i hate even thinking about it, ugh....

same here! O neg here.. and the United Blood Services definitely harass me ALOT! The only thing I absolutely dislike is sometimes my Iron is low and they turn me away :(

ETA: Sometimes too if I get a new tech, my arm looks like I'm a heroin addict because they jiggle the needle all around
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For over a year, I donated plasma twice a week. I've never donated blood, but would if given the chance after I have my baby! Small town - not too many easy opportunities. Although, they probably need more blood donors here than otherwise, given the small population.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I do every chance I get, though I'm always a bit nervous it'll affect my workouts that day. So far, as long as I don't attempt cardio, I've had no issues.
  • ancia03
    ancia03 Posts: 43
    Options
    i have done it twice, then i had to stop as i wa pregnant, but i lost a baby and had to wait 6 month to do it again, meanwhile i got pregnant again but i lost the baby again
    so i'm waiting now, but i'm also planning another pregnancy trial so i guess 'll have to wait :)
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I can't give blood because I'm a sexually active gay male. Its sad really.

There have been a lot of calls for them to roll back this policy lately, and I think they might be looking into it. It's offensive and ridiculous and it should have ended a long, long time ago.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I alway want to, but my loved ones encourage me not to. I've got quite a bit of issues that lead me to be light headed and weak often. So people worry about me giving blood.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No b/c I am anemic.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have to wait until January 2013 because I spent six months in rural China, but after that I plan on getting right back into donating!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I did two days ago and I plan to do it a few times a year now.