Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yush. I like the cookies most, and being disqualified for low iron/high temperature (lol wut) least.
  • Veronadragon
    Options
    I don't. I have a type of anemia that makes it difficult to give as well as I get tattooed at least once a year and the recommendation is not to give within 6months (some say 12) of getting a tat.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    Yep! Im O+ so everytime they are in my area to collect I get a phone call asking me to come see them. :smile:
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I used to give blood all the time. But now that I've lost some weight, I'm too light to give blood. I'm right at the cutoff of 110 and could probably lie my way in, but last time I gave blood it really knocked me off my feet for about a week. Which is too bad, because I really enjoyed being able to donate.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I wish I could. The medications I take for my MS make it so I cannot donate though.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'd like to, but I have low blood pressure as it is. It would probably be dangerous for me to donate, and even if it turned out ok, I would be out cold for the day. If they offered to collect smaller amounts at a time, it might work.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do not. I was told by a doctor not to even attempt it. I have very small veins that roll. It usually takes any where from two to eight sticks to get even a small vial of blood. I wish I could just because I know how important it is.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    I've donated a few times but the last two attempts I couldn't go through with it because my iron was too low :(
    I'm Type O Negative which means I have universal blood and I can donate to anyone :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm O- I used to donate till one time the red cross guy punctured the nerve in my arm. I was pretty lucky it wasn't permanent damage. They paid for my medical bill on it, and still call me. I laugh at them and say that your lucky I didn't try to sue you.

I've been trying to find a place that will take my blood that isn't the red cross, but none are around me.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to be a frequent donor, but now that I am anemic, I can't.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I did once and I have ****ty veins and really low blood pressure and they told me not to come back. :-(

I also used to have to go to the ER to get blood work done because the local place jacked my veins up horribly the first time I went, they couldn't even run the tests because they couldn't get enough blood, and they had stabbed me so many times that my blood started clotted and my veins were bruised halfway up to my armpit and halfway down my forearm; someone reported my "drug abuse" to my boss because my arms were so bruised that I looked like I was using intravenous drugs.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have donated twice. The last time, after they removed the needle and put the compression bandage on, I went and had my little snack and was sitting at the table with some classmates (I was in college)... and one of them asked what was that on the table... I looked and it was a puddle of blood... I went back to the area where they had the blood drive set up, and they put me back in the chair and stood me on my head for half an hour while someone held my arm up in the air for that long. 3 compression bandages later, I finally stopped bleeding. I haven't donated since. I'd like to, but thinking at that rate, they need to have a receptacle available to catch the excess in... :o\
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Not as often as I should.
    My husband does all the time.

We are going to start donating platelets on a regular basis.

My little sister was having daily blood and platelet transfusions for a while, and still needs them a couple of times a week.
  • alex88carolina
    Options
    I donate religiously!!!
  • gotchakatja
    gotchakatja Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to donate my blood or organs, but I'm not allowed. :c I had leukemia as a kid, so there's an obvious and logical reason why I can't. haha.

I really wish I could though. It makes me so sad whenever I see the blood donation buses on my campus. But I'm extremely grateful to the people who do donate! :D
  • Spitbubblr
    Options
    I was born in the UK during the mad cow disease era and will not be allowed to for 6 more years :(
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I was born in the UK during the mad cow disease era and will not be allowed to for 6 more years :(

I lived in the UK during the mad cow thing and am not allowed to donate blood at all in Australia.

They will happily take my organs though, but I have plans for those right now.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I can't donate blood. Apparently I don't have enough iron to donate, just enough for myself.
  • brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use to donate blood, since being diagnose with high blood pressure I can not do it anymore.
  • saramariebabyy
    Options
    I donate as often as i can :) i'm O-