Do you donate blood?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I used to donate all of the time. In fact I did donate while I was pregnant with my son, I would have been about 3-4 months when I did it. All that managed to do was make ME anemic & didnt harm him at all. Then after he was born I continued but had to stop later on for other reasons & am now no longer allowed to donate... their problem i guess if they are like that with it.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Sat - How much does 4.71 ml weigh cause it's out of me.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I successfully donated once - and have photos of the bruise that went halfway down my arm to prove it. Since then, I've had nothing but trouble. My husband was a donation or two away from his five gallon certificate when the Blood Bank left our area. boo!
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would - but for a woman of my height I'd need to be 10lb heavier, or over 20. Two years to go, sadly.

ETA - In the US you can donate every 8 weeks!? Females in the UK have to wait at least 16.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would - but for a woman of my height I'd need to be 10lb heavier, or over 20. Two years to go, sadly.

ETA - In the US you can donate every 8 weeks!? Females in the UK have to wait at least 16.

In Canada it's every 56 days for everyone. And the blood service will keep bugging you as soon as that time's up :angry: . They must be desperate.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I dont for 2 reasons: 1) I had a bad experience the first time 2) when i was really big hated having all the kings horses and all the kings men find my ...i hate even getting blood work done
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    4.71 mL would weight approximately 471 g. Not quite half a kilo. About a pound.
    Sat - How much does 4.71 ml weigh cause it's out of me.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    good
    logging it..................
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    There was a blood mobile next to my work on friday actually, but I just kept driving. I really hate needles.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I sincerely wish I could. I'm anemic but even if I could get my iron count up I'm permanently deferred due to having Hep A in my teens(contracted from deli food that I had but my family did not none of them had it). If you have it after 12 you can't donate ever. :( SOOOOOO mad at the person who couldn't wash their hands ruining it for me. Not to mention the 2 weeks of hell I lived while sick. My liver thank God healed and works fine.

I want to thank all those who are able and do. My grandmother had several transfusions in her later years. :(
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do not. I was told by a doctor not to even attempt it. I have very small veins that roll. It usually takes any where from two to eight sticks to get even a small vial of blood. I wish I could just because I know how important it is.
    Same here I'm lucky if they can pull 5-6 tubes, enough for lab work. EEK.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My blood is sacred, my ancestors blood is sacred, and the cycle of life is sacred. My body is my vessel, and I am the spirit. My spirit is eternal, and that eternity is granted by not violating the sacred rules.

I wonder if you will think the same if you are ever in need of blood during an emergency. :/
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I donate every 8 weeks. Its an easy way to save lives.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can't. They have a rule about not going out of the country for a certain amount of time before you donate, but I travel at least once a year.

...but mostly I'm just scared of needles and that's just an excuse.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My blood is sacred, my ancestors blood is sacred, and the cycle of life is sacred. My body is my vessel, and I am the spirit. My spirit is eternal, and that eternity is granted by not violating the sacred rules.

I wonder if you will think the same if you are ever in need of blood during an emergency. :/

Their blood is sacred and it is for theirs to keep. I die knowing my blood was kept with the purity that the higher power gave me. I fear no death for he is with me living or dead. For he will protect me through the narrow and treacherous valley of shadow of death. The father of Abraham, and the creator of all beautiful things.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet, but I have always wanted to. I know somebody who donates on a regular basis and I respect him so much for that.

When I got my provisional, I opted into organ donation. They can take all of me when I'm dead.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to - my arm veins are abnormally small so it's hard for them to get a good flow. Even when I have to do bloodwork for my annual exam I have to talk them through it so they get the right vein and it takes forever just to get a vial full. We used to think it was because of the excess weight but now that's almost all gone and they're still not easy to get to. The last time I made an attempt to donate blood, my whole arm bruised up and I decided that was enough of that.

The oddest coincidence is that my mother worked at a blood donor center for 20+ years!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do but last time they rejected me because my iron was too low( Guess that my fault for walking 2 miles with nothing to eat or drink)
  • sugarandspice11
    Options
    I do as often as I can :) The worst part for me is the finger poke when they check your iron :p