whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• tigerlily_82
    tigerlily_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
    :laugh: love this!!!
  • miss_september
    Options
    Hmm...This isn't a "diet" myth necessarily, but my aunt believes that the only healthy people in the world (aside from her, and she is quite overweight for her size) are skinny people....oh, and i hate when people hate on carbs/sugar/salt....and when my brother says things like "you should start eating paleo, I lost 8 pounds in a month eating a pound of bacon every day"--I think my arteries clog just from hearing him speak....
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer asked me if I was eating "good calories" or "bad calories" ...
  • smilexoxo2513
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance but I have to dork out a little. Cheese may have sugar in it. Bacteria will "eat" the sugar (lactose) in milk in the normal cheese making process, but the bacteria doesn't necessarily eat all the sugar so there may be some left. How much sugar is left in the final cheese is very dependent on what type of cheese you are making/eating, though likely very low it might still be there. I realize this is nitpicky of me.

Lol love it
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

I know,this statement drives me crazy. Unless u eat 10 eggs a day, please people, eat the whole egg, not just the whites. Works for me , sofar
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    my cousin is spouting some wonderful untruths this morning. just a few gems for you: (oh and all her friends believe her because she goes to the gym. BLAH)

-fat free/low fat cheese has less sugar than normal cheese (since when did cheese have sugar in it??!!)
    -eating a fibre supplement (metamucil, benefibre) will stop your gut from absorping green vegetables..
    -steak loses half its protien when cooked.

cheese does have sugar in it, approximately 1.26g per 100g.

Metamucil, benefibre are fiber supplements and they do indeed inhibit the absorbtion of minerals from green vegetables, which is what, I suspect your cousin was on about.

Steak shrinks when cooked, it does not lose protein but what it weighed when raw, will be less once it is cooked.

Your cousin's theories are not as outlandish as you think.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Being told growing up that I needed to sit up straight and use my knife and fork properly so when the queen cam to dinner, I wouldn't embarrass the family... b!tch never came :sad:
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

+1
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

This is why you're my friend.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    YoungerNextYear59937 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    that dietary fat will make you fat... i think its the worst one all time.

^^ This exactly... Fat will not make you fat.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    vegetarian/vegan food is healthier than animal products

if you eat healthy food, you can have as much as you want of it

whey powder is unnatural and makes you "bulky"
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Being told growing up that I needed to sit up straight and use my knife and fork properly so when the queen cam to dinner, I wouldn't embarrass the family... b!tch never came :sad:
    Hahaha....this is a good one!
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy makes you healthy. What a load of poop!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Eating bread crust will put hair on your chest.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hmm...This isn't a "diet" myth necessarily, but my aunt believes that the only healthy people in the world (aside from her, and she is quite overweight for her size) are skinny people....oh, and i hate when people hate on carbs/sugar/salt....and when my brother says things like "you should start eating paleo, I lost 8 pounds in a month eating a pound of bacon every day"--I think my arteries clog just from hearing him speak....

Oh, you reminded me of a good one - the myth that dietary fat clogs your arteries.
    Options
    Eating bread crust will put hair on your chest.

Then I must have an invisible chest hair :laugh:

Seriously that's the funniest myth I have ever heard
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    It's healthy to eat sugary foods in the morning, like donuts, because your body needs to replenish sugar after sleeping.
    Options
    diet sodas are equivalent to water since it has zero calories