whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• melissaeich20
    melissaeich20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you eat your mashed potatoes you will get boobs. I ate tons of them and not much on my chest. My sister...never ate them and she's quite endowed. Mom..you liar!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    That sugar-free products are better than those with sugar. Of course you might lose weight more quickly if you over-indulge in the former rather than the latter, but sugar-free products with added sweeteners are not all that healthy.

The egg whites are healthier than the yolk. Egg whites have protein; yolks have all the beneficial nutrients of the egg. Take out the yolk and all your left with is protein.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Well if you eat certain ones raw they are...believe it's kidney? (Ricin)
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Eating bread crust will put hair on your chest.

Then I must have an invisible chest hair :laugh:

Seriously that's the funniest myth I have ever heard

When I was a little girl, my daddy PROMISED me I'd get chest hair if I ate enough horseradish. No matter how much horseradish I put on my meat, I never grew any. And yes, nowadays, I'm thankful he was wrong. Chest hair sounded so much cooler when I was four years old....:laugh:
  • littlelily613
    Options
    You can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables

In my opinion you can! Fruits are loaded with sugar (natural sugar), which hindered me from loosing weight.
    Vegetables can get loaded with sauces, butter, and what not that are loaded with sugar, fat, and empty calories.
    Salad dressing can have those ALONG with sodium! And let's not tlak about all the other "salad toppings" that aren't that good for you.

Salads can be deliciously healthy or deliciously deceiving. Most of the salads at fast-food joints have more calories than their biggest, greasiest burger. It's quite a travesty!!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Crust makes your hair curly! :noway:

I was told this one by my granfather all my life and it was a LIE!!! Most devasting food myth :cry:

Try burnt meat! My Grampy would -never- lie, lol.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are contain more fat than any other vegetable. ridiculous...

Myth: mushrooms are a vegetable ;)

Myth: mushrooms are food, fixed it for you :P
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Probably the whole "carbs are the root of all evil" movement. When I first heard of it about 10 years ago I thought it was craziness!
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    this isn't a food myth, but it is truly ridiculous...

someone on here months ago was complaining about not losing weight, eating their exercise cals, etc and the reply was, "you have to wait at least a week for your bones to shrink" and then "you'll start losing real fast"...i had to read that entry 3 or 4 times before my brain even even realized how utterly stupid it was...

WTF

i swear...i wish i had commented on it just to show it (you know, "pics or it didn't happen" type thing) but that was one of the answers to their dilema!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hersheys is actually chocolate, lies! ALL LIES!

It's congealed vomit sugar bar
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    my cousin is spouting some wonderful untruths this morning. just a few gems for you: (oh and all her friends believe her because she goes to the gym. BLAH)

-fat free/low fat cheese has less sugar than normal cheese (since when did cheese have sugar in it??!!)
    -eating a fibre supplement (metamucil, benefibre) will stop your gut from absorping green vegetables..
    -steak loses half its protien when cooked.

I laugh at this, but it's really and truly very sad to me.
  • littlelily613
    Options
    Mushrooms are contain more fat than any other vegetable. ridiculous...

Myth: mushrooms are a vegetable ;)

Myth: mushrooms are food, fixed it for you :P

Mushrooms ARE food! DELICIOUS food! :) Mmmmm!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i know this is about running but it still amused me... happened when i first started running and had just hit the 6 mile mark:

me: "ah i'm a little sore, i ran 6 miles earlier"
    dummyhead gasping: "oh i heard women shouldn't run like that, your time of the month will stop and you can get damage down there from running".

now the joke is "watch mile 3 i hear your uterus falls out at that mile"
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Anything having to do with "nutrient timing"
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you eat all of your dinner, those kids in India won't starve.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    Eating grapes makes your boobs grow.
    LIES!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:

WTF? right because we walk around with a uterus full of lard for 9 months:huh:

please tell me they don't plan on procreating?
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

up until a few weeks ago I believed this :sad: