whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I swear, everytime I pull a banana out my purse (yes, I keep fruit in my purse...ya know, for fruit emergencies), atleast one person I'm with will say "Aren't you dieting? Bananas make you fat." or something along those lines *eye roll*

I keep an apple or banana in my purse for fruit emergencies too!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I swear, everytime I pull a banana out my purse (yes, I keep fruit in my purse...ya know, for fruit emergencies), atleast one person I'm with will say "Aren't you dieting? Bananas make you fat." or something along those lines *eye roll*

I keep an apple or banana in my purse for fruit emergencies too!

haha awesome! Ya never know when you'll need it. =P
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i know this is about running but it still amused me... happened when i first started running and had just hit the 6 mile mark:

me: "ah i'm a little sore, i ran 6 miles earlier"
    dummyhead gasping: "oh i heard women shouldn't run like that, your time of the month will stop and you can get damage down there from running".

now the joke is "watch mile 3 i hear your uterus falls out at that mile"

There's a whole other thread's worth of "exercise myths" or even more specifically, myths about women or girls and exercise.

I'm sure there are but this topic came up on the left hand side as a recently discussed one... i found it interesting so wrote the exercise myth instead of "bump" so I could return and read more responses later under "my topics"... I figured an exercise myth was better than just writing "bump".
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My partner strongly believes you shouldn't eat after 7pm. I've lost 56l bs eating 3-500 calories around 9pm... Not made you realise anything? He does absolutely nothing else to lose weight, except not eat after 7pm... He's not lost an ounce lol x
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    An email went around quite a while ago to stir alarm, proclaiming that "MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC!" Yeah, stupid, even if that were true, it would be that one molecule that makes it something completely different. So idiotic.

Nowadays it's all the ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER IS POISON! crap that annoys me... I think just because people are just so insane and extreme about it.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you guys didn't mention this already: FOOD COMBINING.

What a load of bulls**t! I'm pretty sure the acid in your stomach and the cilia in your intestines don't care what comes down the pike. It all ends up the same anyway... except corn... and peanuts... but that's another story altogether.

(EVERYONE: "That's another story.")
    Food combining isn't necessary, but there are certain advantages in combining all three macros in one meal
    Food combining is total BS as regard to say eating nothing but vegetables one meal, meat the next meal, etc. or only eating meat and vegetables together
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Kidney beans have a mild toxin in their skin, thats why when cooking dried beans you need to rapid boil for a min of 10 mins.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The underlying assumption that anything "natural" is healthy. (Reminder: Hemlock and cyanide are natural.)
    That this or that extreme diet is healthy (with the implication that it will work long-term).

You just made me think of a quote I was on pinterest yesterday. "People say that _________ is good for you because it's natural, but they don't realize that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Wanna know what else is natural? Bears."
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The underlying assumption that anything "natural" is healthy. (Reminder: Hemlock and cyanide are natural.)
    That this or that extreme diet is healthy (with the implication that it will work long-term).

You just made me think of a quote I was on pinterest yesterday. "People say that _________ is good for you because it's natural, but they don't realize that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Wanna know what else is natural? Bears."

pmsl
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options

I'm not saying that "bananas make you fat" is straight up truthful, especially if you eat them in moderation and along with a normal, healthy balanced diet...however, bananas ARE high in calories, carbs and sugar, and are in fact used to help people gain weight extremely quickly. And yes, you will gain weight if you eat an excessive amount of naners.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I hated when restaurants served a pickle on your plate, and would not eat it. My mom would always tell me to eat my pickle, it will make me pretty. I tried this once with my daughter and her response was " I'm already pretty" and she threw the pickle on the floor. :laugh:

:laugh:

I'd love a daughter like yours.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:

WTF? right because we walk around with a uterus full of lard for 9 months:huh:

please tell me they don't plan on procreating?
    lmao!!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options

I'm not saying that "bananas make you fat" is straight up truthful, especially if you eat them in moderation and along with a normal, healthy balanced diet...however, bananas ARE high in calories, carbs and sugar, and are in fact used to help people gain weight extremely quickly. And yes, you will gain weight if you eat an excessive amount of naners.
    [/quote

I just don't like blanket statements like "dont eat any carbs" or "only eat grape fruit." I refuse to give up my daily nanners. =[
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Huh.

I went from a size 12 to a size 6 in 12 weeks eating a banana every single day.
  • lg3703
    Options
    I hated when restaurants served a pickle on your plate, and would not eat it. My mom would always tell me to eat my pickle, it will make me pretty. I tried this once with my daughter and her response was " I'm already pretty" and she threw the pickle on the floor. :laugh:
    lol. That's funny.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!

I didn't know the answer to this either so I looked it up. Apparently saturated fats cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol like what is found in eggs has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

I sort of follow the paleo way because it works with my body. A lot of people who follow this diet are pretty extreme and that's why I strayed away from those forums. Anyway, I had my first cup of pinto beans the other night only to wake up very nauseated and gassy the next day, so I don't eat them often. Not because I think they're poison, but they just don't agree with me. Each body is different.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Huh.

Moderation doesn't mean you have to eat like one banana a week lol. I'm sure you ate that one nanner a day along with other healthy things and maybe even some exercise! But I am saying that several bananas a day, if you are not trying to build muscle, work out, or eat a balanced diet, will make someone put on some tub. But nothing wrong with bananas no one should ever take them OUT of their diet! Again, unless they eat too many :p
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Huh.

exactly!
  • lg3703
    Options
    I pulled one out (emergency) at Wendys the other night while my husband scarfed down a half pound of greasy burger and fries!