whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat according to your blood type.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I think parents will try anything for a 'cure' and it gives them some power back. I have never cut anything out of my sons diet except dairy when he was born due to medical reasons but that lasted till he was one. I know so many parents who have tried and it worries me when the child already has food issues. If I cut half the things that are supposed to cause autism he would never eat but I still get it from some parents that I'm bad because I wont.
  • PolacaFL
    Options
    If you drink hot green tea after you eat a dessert the tea will push the dessert away from the stomach and intestinal wall and wash it away and you wont gain weight. :huh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    If you drink hot green tea after you eat a dessert the tea will push the dessert away from the stomach and intestinal wall and wash it away and you wont gain weight. :huh:

LOL! It better wash it straight out whole if that's the case.

Sounds uncomfortable lol.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

who comes up with this crap:huh:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

who comes up with this crap:huh:

I don't know, but they'd have better luck sticking with laxatives.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Kidney beans have a mild toxin in their skin, thats why when cooking dried beans you need to rapid boil for a min of 10 mins.

The only reason paleo "fanatics" say that is because they can cause really terrible allergic reactions that can be poisonous

Following a diet because you think it's healthy is fine. The reason for the "fanatic" talk (and this same thing applies to Vegans) is that a lot of people tend to try to form some kind of a culture behind their dietary choices that almost starts to seem like a religious society. This never goes well because it leads to a degree of intolerance of people with "outside" beliefs. Go on paleo and vegan websites with forums and you'll see what I mean in the forums.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Fats will make you fat- fat free is the way to go!

Soy/tofu/soy milk is healthy for you!

OMG horrible advice I have heard!
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that burnt BBQ food gives you cancer!!!! ooooh, come on.......give me a break!!! :noway:
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The only fluid that counts for hydration is plain water straight up. If that were true I'd have shriveled up and blown away years ago.

Oh. And if you swallow an apple seed a tree will grow in your belly. Still waiting on that one!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy will make a woman bulky...okay, that's more exercise related, but it still always grates my nerves.
  • PolacaFL
    Options

LOL! It better wash it straight out whole if that's the case.

Sounds uncomfortable lol.

LMAO! Exactly! :laugh:
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    if you swallow watermelon seeds they will sprout out of your ears :laugh:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    The only fluid that counts for hydration is plain water straight up. If that were true I'd have shriveled up and blown away years ago.

Oh. And if you swallow an apple seed a tree will grow in your belly. Still waiting on that one!

Actually have a friend who told her son that if you swallowed a watermelon seed, a melon would grow in your belly. So one day at the grocery store, the son goes up to a pregnant woman and says, "I know what you've been doing."
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy will make a woman bulky...okay, that's more exercise related, but it still always grates my nerves.

I always heard this when lifting. Lifting 10-20 pounds won't make you a body builder!
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hahahah. My parents used to tell me that if you ate the tails off of shrimp, they would grow and swim in your belly.

And don't forget bubble gum stays in your stomach for seven years if you swallow it! :laugh:

lol, my parents always told me that if you swallow bubble gum, you'll blow bubbles out of your bum!!!! lol :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    if you swallow watermelon seeds they will sprout out of your ears :laugh:

That sounds uncomfortable too.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I always heard this when lifting. Lifting 10-20 pounds won't make you a body builder!

Neither will lifting 60, 100, or 200, if you're capable of it.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You must drink at least 8 glasses of plain water each day or you will become dehydrated. Caffeintated drinks do not count for hydration; in fact you have to drink extra plain water to account for them
    Yeah...that one irks me. Your body sees diet soda come into your stomach and says "Cool...some water, some caffeine and a bunch of other stuff I don't digest". It doesn't care that the water is carbonated or has artificial sweetener in it.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post

I think they are supposed to be things that take more calories to digest than what they contain.. is that correct, anyone?

I've never really thought much about it, but I thought I heard somone try to argue that once.

yep, supposedly celery, lettuce, etc are negative calorie foods. and diet pills work.