whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If it's low in points, it's good for me.

(Weight Watchers).
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    That a gluten free diet can help cure autism. I want to punch people who say that in the face. Repeatedly.

As someone with autism this one bugs me. The gluten free/dairy free diet that they talk about on autism forums is the biggest crock and is nothing more than more new-age medicine, like healing crystals.

My daughter has autism. My husband has a regular customer who comes in all the time spouting about how when a child has autism it's the mother's fault because she ate gluten while she was pregnant. I want to sell him to Jigsaw lol
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Anyone that says 'you shouldn't eat...'

Humbug. I'll eat it if I want thank you.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    dont drink water during a meal
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Eating crusts will make ur curly
    Eating porridge makes you glow
    Eating crisps and chocolate at the same time is so much more calories than eating them separately :laugh:
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    If you are raw eating for a long period of time, cooked foods make you sick. (Didnt happen to me.)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ...plus the amount of processed foods these people eat to have fake meat products which are just as bad as the processed foods the meat eaters eat.
    This reminds me a of a doozy and off-repeated myth: Processed foods are automatically bad for you.

Fake meat products, in general, are not "as bad" as meat products in the metrics that people usually track. One Yves jumbo meatless hot dog has 16 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, 0 grams of which is saturated, and only 110 calories. Oh, and it only has 5 grams of carbs. They are also delicious. I had 3 of them last night for dinner.

For comparison a Ball Park Frank has 16 grams of fat, 6 of which are saturated, 160 calories and only 6 grams of protein. The carbs are about equivalent with only 4 grams per frank.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hahahah. My parents used to tell me that if you ate the tails off of shrimp, they would grow and swim in your belly.

And don't forget bubble gum stays in your stomach for seven years if you swallow it! :laugh:

lol, my parents always told me that if you swallow bubble gum, you'll blow bubbles out of your bum!!!! lol :laugh:

183310647302996377_5LveroNn.jpg
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.

Actually, just to clarify, high blood sugar makes you lose weight. Low blood sugar causes you to gain weight. High blood sugar is really bad for you and has negative long term effects, but it does not stop weight loss.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    How about the good old "you are eating for two now" when you are pregnant. Yeah, well that's a bunch of BS!!!
    You're right. You could be having twins. In that case you are eating for three. What are people thinking?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    A diabetic woman once told me that she can't eat frosting anymore but she can still eat cake because "all of the sugars cook out in the baking process." :huh:

This is a little bit true. Not the sugars are cooked out part, but the you can eat cake but not frosting part. Although cake too will make your sugar rise more quickly than say a potato, it won't happen as quickly as with the frosting. Frosting is almost pure sugar, with nothing to block the absorbtion. Because diabetics' bodies don't naturally produce insulin as they eat, they cannot eat things that cause sugar to enter the blood stream almost immediately such as frosting and regular soda. This is why you see diabetics order diet soda and a big mac and fries at McDonalds. It's not about being healthy, it's about not getting sick.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Soy/tofu/soy milk is healthy for you!
    To say that it's unhealthy would also be a myth. You can overdose on any substance, even ones that are so-called "clean" foods.

Hmm, I've never heard of anyone overdosing on whole chicken breast.
    Really? So you are saying that if a person ate only chicken breast in high quantity that it wouldn't be deleterious to their health?

You didn't say eating only. You said overdose. If you change the argument to suit your position, then of course you're right.
    I didn't change my argument. It still stands. You can consume too much of any substance, even water.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Fruits and vegetable calories don't count because they are "natural".

These people have obviously never met the fat vegetarians I have.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    Soy/tofu/soy milk is healthy for you!
    To say that it's unhealthy would also be a myth. You can overdose on any substance, even ones that are so-called "clean" foods.

Hmm, I've never heard of anyone overdosing on whole chicken breast.
    Really? So you are saying that if a person ate only chicken breast in high quantity that it wouldn't be deleterious to their health?

You didn't say eating only. You said overdose. If you change the argument to suit your position, then of course you're right.
    I didn't change my argument. It still stands. You can consume too much of any substance, even water.

Careful, eating too much chicken gives you chicken pox.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.

Actually, just to clarify, high blood sugar makes you lose weight. Low blood sugar causes you to gain weight. High blood sugar is really bad for you and has negative long term effects, but it does not stop weight loss.

What?
    High blood sugar leads to more insulin release which leads to more uptake of glucose into cells where it is converted into storage carbohydrates, which stay in your body. Low blood glucose leads to glucagon release which leads to glycogen store breakdown to give you glucose to fuel your cells.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

FALSE as far as the fat clogging artery portion...OMG people have no clue when it comes to cholesterol
    I am going to stop reading this post now, reading some of this non-sense is raising my Blood pressure (False, you can't actually feel blood pressure, hence hypertension is known as the "silent killer" in the medical world)
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Fruits and vegetable calories don't count because they are "natural".

These people have obviously never met the fat vegetarians I have.
    If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese (if lacto-ovo). It's unlikely due to eating too many fruits and vegetables.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Now THIS is funny! hehe
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That a gluten free diet can help cure autism. I want to punch people who say that in the face. Repeatedly.

As someone with autism this one bugs me. The gluten free/dairy free diet that they talk about on autism forums is the biggest crock and is nothing more than more new-age medicine, like healing crystals.

I have heard (heard, mind you) that those with autism tend to have some gastrointestinal problems as well. My brother is autistic and doesn't so I how much truth there is to that -- but if there is a gastrointestinal problem it is POSSIBLE that gluten could be the problem. Would having my gastrointestinal problem fixed make my moods better? Hell yes. That is the only possible correlation I see and even then....autism has nothing to do with it.
  • FrostyFour
    Options

I have heard (heard, mind you) that those with autism tend to have some gastrointestinal problems as well. My brother is autistic and doesn't so I how much truth there is to that -- but if there is a gastrointestinal problem it is POSSIBLE that gluten could be the problem. Would having my gastrointestinal problem fixed make my moods better? Hell yes. That is the only possible correlation I see and even then....autism has nothing to do with it.

One of my daughter's traits is that she doesn't eat. I don't mean she's picky, I mean she doesn't eat. She's been deathly afraid of food since she was an hour old. THIS is why it bothers me so much when people go on about gluten and dairy.