whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    A diabetic woman once told me that she can't eat frosting anymore but she can still eat cake because "all of the sugars cook out in the baking process." :huh:

Ok, I'm diabetic, I want to live by this rule!! :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetable calories don't count because they are "natural".

These people have obviously never met the fat vegetarians I have.
    If they are vegetarian and fat it's likely from eating too much high-calorie dense food such as bread and pasta and cheese (if lacto-ovo). It's unlikely due to eating too many fruits and vegetables.

And again lol...if you eat too many calories in fruits and vegetables...you will get fat.

You can say 'unlikely' if you want, but it doesn't change the implied message in your comment.

/sigh
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.
    FALSE as far as the fat clogging artery portion...OMG people have no clue when it comes to cholesterol
    I am going to stop reading this post now, reading some of this non-sense is raising my Blood pressure (False, you can't actually feel blood pressure, hence hypertension is known as the "silent killer" in the medical world)

I would love you to explain to me how you think the fat gets there.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    dont drink water during a meal

Oh god this one.

When my aunt's kids were little they didn't eat a whole lot and her doctor said to not let them have anything to drink until after they were finished their meal because the water/milk/juice was filling them up. Now my cousins, well into their thirties, still will not drink during a meal. And one of them still barely eats a goddamn thing and she's heavyset.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.

Actually, just to clarify, high blood sugar makes you lose weight. Low blood sugar causes you to gain weight. High blood sugar is really bad for you and has negative long term effects, but it does not stop weight loss.

What?
    High blood sugar leads to more insulin release which leads to more uptake of glucose into cells where it is converted into storage carbohydrates, which stay in your body. Low blood glucose leads to glucagon release which leads to glycogen store breakdown to give you glucose to fuel your cells.

Not if you're a diabetic. QUOTE: IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss. If you are a diabetic, you're body doesn't release any extra insulin and you lose weight from high blood sugar. Do a little research before you post.

Low blood sugar--extra insulin in your blood--leads to fat storage. Again, just a little research.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Definitely my food myth top choice.
    Also I am constantly told how fat people are only fat cause they eat too much. I hate that one!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I remember a "news story" when I was a kid that said that eating pepperoni pizza ....specifically pepperoni pizza leads you to a higher risk of cancer and the only way to off set it is to drink a glass of orange juice when you eat pizza.

My family thought I was so strange when I would refuse pizza if orange juice wasnt available ...
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This reminds me:

Pizza is a vegetable. :huh:
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

That's not fat, it's plaque that develops when certain LDL "bad cholesterol" subtypes become inflammed. HDL scavenges said "Bad" LDL cholesterol. All that matters is the ratio of HDL:Total cholesterol. If you have enough HDL to recirculate LDL, then you will have very minimal plaquing of the arteries...cholesterol cleans itself up. Monounsaturate fat promotes HDL production, polyunsaturated fat promotes LDL production, saturated fat promotes both LDL and HDL production (not a bad thing because it all comes down to the ratio).

That's it, I'm done reading
  • kellyhuble
    kellyhuble Posts: 15
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

:) Pink Floyd.

Several other people already said the one myth that came to mind, and that was no eating late at night- or you'll store it as fat. Also, if you eat past midnight, you might also turn into an evil Gremlin.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

*snort*.

hahaha!! YES!! <3
  • ATOLLIT
    Options

Not if you're a diabetic. QUOTE: IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss. If you are a diabetic, you're body doesn't release any extra insulin and you lose weight from high blood sugar. Do a little research before you post.

Low blood sugar--extra insulin in your blood--leads to fat storage. Again, just a little research.

I am well aware that being diabetic means you do not create enough insulin for yourself. However, having more sugar in your blood does not make you lose weight. I cannot understand your logic.

Also, low blood sugar does not make you have more insulin floating around in there. If you are injecting insulin, as this is now solely about diabetics, the same amount is going to be there regardless of how much sugar there is.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This reminds me:

Pizza is a vegetable. :huh:

Thankyou!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    cold water burns calories because your body has to warm it up to use it...if that were true wouldn't ice cream be the same?
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    "Vegetables are negative calorie food"
    Disagree^. Their cant be negative cal
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    Today my housemate told Me that diet coke makes you gain weight. I don't drink diet coke but am now going to drink an entire carton of diet coke in aweek just to prove that I won't gain weight. She's buying them so how could I refuse. I love being right

paha you'll win this, i've lost 2lbs in the last week drinking 2 a day just because they stop my cravings for fried food at work (i'm a chef)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

That's not fat, it's plaque that develops when certain LDL "bad cholesterol" subtypes become inflammed. HDL scavenges said "Bad" LDL cholesterol. All that matters is the ratio of HDL:Total cholesterol. If you have enough HDL to recirculate LDL, then you will have very minimal plaquing of the arteries...cholesterol cleans itself up. Monounsaturate fat promotes HDL production, polyunsaturated fat promotes LDL production, saturated fat promotes both LDL and HDL production (not a bad thing because it all comes down to the ratio).

Nice lol.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    "You should clean your plate because there are starving people in Africa that would love the food you are not eating"

I'm pretty sure this is why I gained weight. I wanted to be part of the "clean plate club".
  • ATOLLIT
    Options
    /

I know you say you are done reading, but I'll respond anyway just on the off-chance.

Where do you think the fats in the LDLs come from? So, by your own logic: if there is more polyunsaturated fat, more LDLs are made. If there are more LDLs than HDLs, you get more deposits in arteries. That is basically what I was saying in the first place, without going into so much detail.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hmm...This isn't a "diet" myth necessarily, but my aunt believes that the only healthy people in the world (aside from her, and she is quite overweight for her size) are skinny people....oh, and i hate when people hate on carbs/sugar/salt....and when my brother says things like "you should start eating paleo, I lost 8 pounds in a month eating a pound of bacon every day"--I think my arteries clog just from hearing him speak....

See, I am not all together certain eating bacon makes your arteries clog. I think that one is a big myth too.