whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Kidney beans have a mild toxin in their skin, thats why when cooking dried beans you need to rapid boil for a min of 10 mins.

The only reason paleo "fanatics" say that is because they can cause really terrible allergic reactions that can be poisonous

There is quite a difference in a food allergy and a poisonous food. People can be allergic to just about any food. Some are more common than others, but it still doesn't make them poisonous.

Lactose is a common food allergy. Milk is not poisonous. Chlorine bleach is poisonous.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Soy/tofu/soy milk is healthy for you!
    To say that it's unhealthy would also be a myth. You can overdose on any substance, even ones that are so-called "clean" foods.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    To say that it's unhealthy would also be a myth. You can overdose on any substance, even ones that are so-called "clean" foods.

Hmm, I've never heard of anyone overdosing on whole chicken breast.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Someone once told me that burnt BBQ food gives you cancer!!!! ooooh, come on.......give me a break!!! :noway:

That's more of an exaggeration than a myth. Meat cooked at high temperatures, such as a very hot grill, does increase your risk of certain cancers.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    TRUE! Toxicity is a quantity issue, not a quality issue
  • dentedearmuffs1
    Options
    - you can eat healthy without ever eating any vegetables (my sister)

- my friend who once told me that she eats food groups separately for each meal and doesn't ever mix them because the body only knows how to process one food group at a time. i.e. only vegetables one meal, carbs next meal, meat another meal. she said that if you eat them all together, the body gets confused and doesn't know how to break them down together so you get fat. she's pretty crazy.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why would that be a myth?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Someone once told me that burnt BBQ food gives you cancer!!!! ooooh, come on.......give me a break!!! :noway:

That's more of an exaggeration than a myth. Meat cooked at high temperatures, such as a very hot grill, does increase your risk of certain cancers.

Is that what they're saying this week??

Good to know.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance but I have to dork out a little. Cheese may have sugar in it. Bacteria will "eat" the sugar (lactose) in milk in the normal cheese making process, but the bacteria doesn't necessarily eat all the sugar so there may be some left. How much sugar is left in the final cheese is very dependent on what type of cheese you are making/eating, though likely very low it might still be there. I realize this is nitpicky of me.

:flowerforyou: :heart:

Cheese-family! http://distribution-plus.com/files/media/Cheese Pdf/HowCheeseisMade.pdf
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, these are myths.
    -White rice and other carbs are direct links to weight gain.
    -Everyone's lifestyle needs 60+ grams of protein a day.
    -Soy products are the worst things ever. (I understand the GMO concern in America, but frankly people have been eating soy in various cultures for ages, and there are things far worse.)
    -Natural sugars are broken down exactly the same way as other sugars are. (Even HFCS, eh?)
    -Eating fat makes you fat.
    -Going along with the above myth, the myth that your body doesn't react differently in terms of weight loss with saturated and unsaturated fats.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    diet sodas are equivalent to water since it has zero calories

OMG THIS ONE!! that diet sodas are ok on a diet bc they dont have calories in them!!!!!
    They are OK. Calories in, calories out.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

Really? So you are saying that if a person ate only chicken breast in high quantity that it wouldn't be deleterious to their health?
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    A diabetic woman once told me that she can't eat frosting anymore but she can still eat cake because "all of the sugars cook out in the baking process." :huh:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Really? So you are saying that if a person ate only chicken breast in high quantity that it wouldn't be deleterious to their health?

You didn't say eating only. You said overdose. If you change the argument to suit your position, then of course you're right.
  • chelseathinspired
    chelseathinspired Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Being a Vegetarian or Vegan doesn't get you adequate amounts of protien in your diet.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How about the good old "you are eating for two now" when you are pregnant. Yeah, well that's a bunch of BS!!!
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    The only way to be healthy is eliminate animal fats and meat altogether...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Fruits are loaded with sugar (natural sugar), which hindered me from losing weight.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, these are myths.
    -Natural sugars are broken down exactly the same way as other sugars are. (Even HFCS, eh?)

Actually this is kinda true - sugars all ultimately break down the same. The problem is that HFCS, table sugar and other processed sugars are too broken down to start, so your body uses them quicker giving extreme highs and lows of blood sugar, rather than processing the complex sugar at its own pace to spread out the use.