whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Vegan eating is healthy.

oreos are vegan.
    just sayin':wink: ANY vegan/vegetarian/omnivore/whatever lifestyle can be healthy OR NOT healthy depending on what that person eats...I agree with you that blanket statements like "vegan is healthy" are a pile of crap

All my favorites have already been said...

Oh, I can add "anything Dr. Oz EVER said."
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

LOL
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:

WTF? right because we walk around with a uterus full of lard for 9 months:huh:

please tell me they don't plan on procreating?

Not diet related, but my boss and all my coworkers at Sonic tried to tell me that the baby doesn't grow in the uterus, it grows on TOP of the uterus... you know, with your heart and lungs and all that.

And if you take castor oil, you poop the baby out.

Because castor oil magically teleports the baby into your intestinal tract.
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hahahah. My parents used to tell me that if you ate the tails off of shrimp, they would grow and swim in your belly.

And don't forget bubble gum stays in your stomach for seven years if you swallow it! :laugh:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post

I think they are supposed to be things that take more calories to digest than what they contain.. is that correct, anyone?

I've never really thought much about it, but I thought I heard somone try to argue that once.

Supposedly the theory behind it goes like this: Since many vegetables are of a fibrous nature and are extremely low in calorie, the body burns more calories working to digest them than you ingested by eating them. Supposedly.

Also, one I like is how people talk like carbs are the devil. Carbs are one of the key fuel sources for an active, healthy lifestyle. Keeping my carb count high has, in my case, increased recovery after workouts so that I'm able to get back to the next workout sooner.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!

I didn't know the answer to this either so I looked it up. Apparently saturated fats cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol like what is found in eggs has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Hmm, I'm an avid fan of saturated fats (I grew up on a cattle ranch, and my diet pretty much reflects that)...and last bloodwork I had was dead on.

*shrug*

Of course there are other things that cause it too. I didn't mean to say that to mean saturated fats are the only thing that causes high cholesterol and all people who eat a lot of saturated fat will have high cholesterol... Sorry I wasn't more specific.

It's ok, I understood what you mean...I was more making a counter point for the sake of it. SO many people are terrified of this food or that food, or this fat or that fat...etc. I eat only whole eggs. I eat craploads of gravy. I eat tons of red meat. Bacon is a multi weekly event for my family. I fry anything I need to fry, in whole lard (or the grease left over from the bacon) and/or whole butter. I eat fried foods often and regularly, and when i have vegetables (which is quite often), they are most often accompanied with a seriously generous amount of whole butter lol.

I'm healthy as a horse (including bloodwork etc), I'm very strong for my height/weight, and I recover from serious injuries very quickly. I attribute this to staying as active as I can, as well as to all of the natural things that come to me through my diet. It's the same diet that my great grandfather lived to be 93 on, my grandfather lived to be 87 on (with MS), and my father, who is currently 63 and stronger than anyone I've ever met his age (two years ago we were at a race, he came in with a flat, the jack broke, he got out and LEG PRESSED the back half of the car up while we changed the tire) is still living on.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my friend who has tried many diets (none have worked) always tries to convince me that you can eat as much PASTA, fruit, vegetables as you want & lose weight. she gets quite defensive when i say you can't, it just doesn't seem to click in her head that you can eat massive amounts of ANY food and expect to lose weight lol
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Worst myth I've heard:

You HAVE to eat clean to be "lean".
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:

WTF? right because we walk around with a uterus full of lard for 9 months:huh:

please tell me they don't plan on procreating?

Not diet related, but my boss and all my coworkers at Sonic tried to tell me that the baby doesn't grow in the uterus, it grows on TOP of the uterus... you know, with your heart and lungs and all that.

And if you take castor oil, you poop the baby out.

Because castor oil magically teleports the baby into your intestinal tract.

WTF. lol.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My dad used to tell me that if I ate a watermelon seed I would grow a watermelon in my stomach. :huh:
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

"you're going to get cancer from eating steak and it will stay in your intestines for almost 20 years."

My co-worker tells me this ALL the time :noway: I eat my steak blue rare (barely touch the grill) just to annoy her. She gets all of her medical advice from The Doctors and Doctor Oz. Also, she has been hospitalized twice this year because her blood pressure was sitting at 220/135. And she has a resting heart rate of over 200!!
  • RilantheFirebug
    Options
    That you must eat a raw diet that keeps enzymes intact (not heating them; fruits and veggies), because the body only has a limited supply and if you eat raw then you won't "use up" your enzymes. :noway:
  • socalgirl68
    socalgirl68 Posts: 85
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Kidney beans have a mild toxin in their skin, thats why when cooking dried beans you need to rapid boil for a min of 10 mins.

The only reason paleo "fanatics" say that is because they can cause really terrible allergic reactions that can be poisonous
  • RilantheFirebug
    Options
    That a gluten free diet can help cure autism. I want to punch people who say that in the face. Repeatedly.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Haha, Pink Floyd can never be wrong!
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    diet sodas are equivalent to water since it has zero calories

OMG THIS ONE!! that diet sodas are ok on a diet bc they dont have calories in them!!!!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    That a gluten free diet can help cure autism. I want to punch people who say that in the face. Repeatedly.

I agree totally I'm a coeliac so no gluten for me but if I tried removing it from my son's diet who has Autism he would not eat anything especially as he seems to live of fresh pasta and supernoodles at the moment (O and the odd pizza).
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!

I didn't know the answer to this either so I looked it up. Apparently saturated fats cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol like what is found in eggs has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Hmm, I'm an avid fan of saturated fats (I grew up on a cattle ranch, and my diet pretty much reflects that)...and last bloodwork I had was dead on.

*shrug*

Of course there are other things that cause it too. I didn't mean to say that to mean saturated fats are the only thing that causes high cholesterol and all people who eat a lot of saturated fat will have high cholesterol... Sorry I wasn't more specific.

It's ok, I understood what you mean...I was more making a counter point for the sake of it. SO many people are terrified of this food or that food, or this fat or that fat...etc. I eat only whole eggs. I eat craploads of gravy. I eat tons of red meat. Bacon is a multi weekly event for my family. I fry anything I need to fry, in whole lard (or the grease left over from the bacon) and/or whole butter. I eat fried foods often and regularly, and when i have vegetables (which is quite often), they are most often accompanied with a seriously generous amount of whole butter lol.

I'm healthy as a horse (including bloodwork etc), I'm very strong for my height/weight, and I recover from serious injuries very quickly. I attribute this to staying as active as I can, as well as to all of the natural things that come to me through my diet. It's the same diet that my great grandfather lived to be 93 on, my grandfather lived to be 87 on (with MS), and my father, who is currently 63 and stronger than anyone I've ever met his age (two years ago we were at a race, he came in with a flat, the jack broke, he got out and LEG PRESSED the back half of the car up while we changed the tire) is still living on.
    Saturated fat is "good" (not a myth) end of discussion. I purposely eat 40-50g saturated fat a day
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

"you're going to get cancer from eating steak and it will stay in your intestines for almost 20 years."

My co-worker tells me this ALL the time :noway: I eat my steak blue rare (barely touch the grill) just to annoy her. She gets all of her medical advice from The Doctors and Doctor Oz. Also, she has been hospitalized twice this year because her blood pressure was sitting at 220/135. And she has a resting heart rate of over 200!!

It's funny because it's put in such extreme way but there is a more serious point behind it (so to speak, LOL) - I have a serious history of bowel cancer in my family with multiple family members dying from it, and cutting back on red meat/smoked foods/processed foods and upping the fibrous vegetables does seem a bit mission critical, at least until science arrives at the point whereyou can change your own genes.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

As someone with autism this one bugs me. The gluten free/dairy free diet that they talk about on autism forums is the biggest crock and is nothing more than more new-age medicine, like healing crystals.