whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I hated when restaurants served a pickle on your plate, and would not eat it. My mom would always tell me to eat my pickle, it will make me pretty. I tried this once with my daughter and her response was " I'm already pretty" and she threw the pickle on the floor. :laugh:
  • socalgirl68
    socalgirl68 Posts: 85
    Options
    Whole Wheat bread/pasta is healthy

Protein Powder doesn't really work, it just makes you fat

Negative food calories

Carbs are the most important nutrient you body needs (MFP sets it to 55%!! woah there! Needs to be more like 25-40%)

Agave syrup is healthy

You need to get every 3-4 hours, eating sooner will make you fat and eating too late will make you fat. --Uhmm.. that makes no sense at all!!! :P

Don't eat carbs at night.--This one I struggle with.... I can't deiced if it is true or not! anyone know?
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source

...Isn't it? :O

Yes dear, ignore that previous statement ;)
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you guys didn't mention this already: FOOD COMBINING.

What a load of bulls**t! I'm pretty sure the acid in your stomach and the cilia in your intestines don't care what comes down the pike. It all ends up the same anyway... except corn... and peanuts... but that's another story altogether.

(EVERYONE: "That's another story.")
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    i know this is about running but it still amused me... happened when i first started running and had just hit the 6 mile mark:

me: "ah i'm a little sore, i ran 6 miles earlier"
    dummyhead gasping: "oh i heard women shouldn't run like that, your time of the month will stop and you can get damage down there from running".

now the joke is "watch mile 3 i hear your uterus falls out at that mile"

There's a whole other thread's worth of "exercise myths" or even more specifically, myths about women or girls and exercise.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most Fad diet stuff

My mom is doing the hCG diet...and I read the pamphlet. This is the biggest set up for failure I've ever seen. It has SO many instructions, and it has you eating 500 cals per day at the beginning. She won't listen to me about eating frequently and not going below 1200-1400 cals.
  • cr8zed
    cr8zed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women."
    This blew my mind because I believed it until I saw on Dr. Oz

That's not a myth, its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles than women because of the male hormone testosterone which is also responsible for those fat releasing enzyme. In contrast, we women have more fat & our hormone estrogen favors more the fat storing enzyme.

With what you said being true "its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles" that would mean ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women." isn't a myth necessarily and what really should be said is that it's easier for people having more muscle mass to lose weight then it is for people with less muscle mass. I know some women that are much more muscular then some men that i know.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

AWESOME! Now to rock out to some Pink Floyd for the afternoon. :drinker:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I hated when restaurants served a pickle on your plate, and would not eat it. My mom would always tell me to eat my pickle, it will make me pretty. I tried this once with my daughter and her response was " I'm already pretty" and she threw the pickle on the floor. :laugh:

Three cheers for your daughter! Hope she keeps that attitude... and knows that in addition to being pretty, she's smart, kind, good and other things that should be true and we should all know about ourselves. :wink:
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source

You mean he lied to me? :sad:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the 80's diet myth that grapefruit would burn fat?
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Soy is bad for you.
    Gluten is terrible for you.
    Subway is healthy.
    You can't get fat from fruit.
    Avoid fruit because it has sugar in it.
    Eggs raise cholesterol.
    Sunny-D is orange juice.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women."
    This blew my mind because I believed it until I saw on Dr. Oz

That's not a myth, its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles than women because of the male hormone testosterone which is also responsible for those fat releasing enzyme. In contrast, we women have more fat & our hormone estrogen favors more the fat storing enzyme.

With what you said being true "its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles" that would mean ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women." isn't a myth necessarily and what really should be said is that it's easier for people having more muscle mass to lose weight then it is for people with less muscle mass. I know some women that are much more muscular then some men that i know.

Umm, you neglected to take into consideration copious amounts of natural testosterone production.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the 80's diet myth that grapefruit would burn fat?

my grand ma did this diet (to an extreme... grapefruit and coffee)... yes she lost TONS of weigh,, along with a bunch of hair and other things that said she wasn't healthy
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I swear, everytime I pull a banana out my purse (yes, I keep fruit in my purse...ya know, for fruit emergencies), atleast one person I'm with will say "Aren't you dieting? Bananas make you fat." or something along those lines *eye roll*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

Ok...so just had a health screening today. Have borderline high cholesterol for the first time in my life. The only thing I have changed is that since I have been exercising regularly I have been eating 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. The nurse told me to cut back on the eggs or to stop eating the yokes.

So...that's not true? So what does give you high cholesterol?

Sorry to come across as dumb, but I've never had high cholesterol before!

The most common things that raise cholesterol are the wrong types of fats and/or refined carbs. For most people dietary cholesterol doesn't have much affect but for some it does
    For most people, the amount of cholesterol eaten has only a modest impact on the amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood. (37) For some people, though, blood cholesterol levels rise and fall very strongly in relation to the amount of cholesterol eaten. For these "responders," avoiding cholesterol-rich foods can have a substantial effect on blood cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, at this point there is no way other than by trial and error to identify responders from non-responders to dietary cholesterol.
    Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html#cholesterol

ETA: the link above has a lot of interesting information on cholesterol and the conflicting evidence from various studies.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    big, fat, pink snicker, snicker......
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    "just order a salad, it will be healthy" when at a restaraunt.......... and then it comes and it has bacon and ham and eggs and cheese and more cheese, and olives and croutons and bacon bits and and a vat of Ranch dressing all nestled on a half a head of hard white lettuce butts and has more fat and calories than if you had ordered the blue cheese bacon burger.