whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    no carbs at night.

Say hi to the insulin fairy for me
  • klybarger3
    klybarger3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Potatoes are bad
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are bad

i read this and instantly wanted vodka
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Today my housemate told Me that diet coke makes you gain weight. I don't drink diet coke but am now going to drink an entire carton of diet coke in aweek just to prove that I won't gain weight. She's buying them so how could I refuse. I love being right
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Carbs, salt, cholesterol, fat, and saturated fat are "the devil" always seems to be popular
    Green vegetables don't count as calories since they are so fibrous
    Eating animal products causes cardiovascular disease
    Eating around bedtime makes you fat
    Dietary fat makes you fat
    You don't have to count calories if you eat only "clean" foods
  • vrutwind
    vrutwind Posts: 25
    Options
    "Gluten free foods are much healthier" (coming from a friend who does not have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I think you jest, but my mother actually lived by this rule, which was extremely unfortunate since she also has an unatural fear of undercooked meat so all her meat tasted like jerky. I hate jerky. But maybe that's why I was such a skinny child.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women."
    This blew my mind because I believed it until I saw on Dr. Oz

That's not a myth, its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles than women because of the male hormone testosterone which is also responsible for those fat releasing enzyme. In contrast, we women have more fat & our hormone estrogen favors more the fat storing enzyme.
    Unfortunately, that is true... but exercise DOES help raise T levels =]
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Currently?

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, if you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism lowers and you store more of the food you eat as fat...so you HAVE to eat breakfast in order to 'jump start' (please, don't get me started on 'jump start'!) your metabolism!!"

Seriously people?
    What? That's not true?!! (damn these myths!!)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    oh and apparently i live under a rock what the hell is a negative calorie food? no doubt a mythical creature of sorts but I've never heard that term until this post

I think they are supposed to be things that take more calories to digest than what they contain.. is that correct, anyone?

I've never really thought much about it, but I thought I heard somone try to argue that once.
    That's the gist of it. And from what I've looked up (basically Snopes and the related links), it's technically true that celery is a "negative calorie" food in this sense, but the difference is negligible. For example, you might eat 6 calories worth of celery, and then it will take 6.5 calories to digest it. You are never going to notice that half a calorie, and you're never going to eat so much celery that it will accumulate to much at all.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Just saying, negative calorie foods are not a myth. Look it up on a refutable source such as a medical journal or ask your doctor! Celery is the most widely known negative calorie food...it contains less calories than it takes to physically chew up and digest it per piece. Therefore, almost like "not eating anything", calorie wise, at least.

But I think the point should be, who cares, it's not like it would be healthy or satisfying in the least to eat only negative calorie foods. And besides, there aren't all that many.

++ and Zug, exactly! Eating negative calorie foods is not like some type of magical weight loss trick. It probably won't help you whatsoever.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just saw this -
    "most of the calories get absorbed right away when it's chewed."

- on another thread.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Drink your milk and you'll grow up to be big and strong, my *kitten*.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you can't eat after 6pm!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    negative calorie foods

This is what I was going to say!!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night takes the absorbed food and turns it directly into fat which is why you shouldn't eat after 7pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^This. I eat late dinners all the time due to my schedule...it hasn't afffected my weight loss. I do however, have to wait at least 2 hours to go to sleep after eating, or I get indigestion...but that's a totally different issue.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    this isn't a food myth, but it is truly ridiculous...

someone on here months ago was complaining about not losing weight, eating their exercise cals, etc and the reply was, "you have to wait at least a week for your bones to shrink" and then "you'll start losing real fast"...i had to read that entry 3 or 4 times before my brain even even realized how utterly stupid it was...
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are contain more fat than any other vegetable. ridiculous...

Myth: mushrooms are a vegetable ;)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables

In my opinion you can! Fruits are loaded with sugar (natural sugar), which hindered me from loosing weight.
    Vegetables can get loaded with sauces, butter, and what not that are loaded with sugar, fat, and empty calories.
    Salad dressing can have those ALONG with sodium! And let's not tlak about all the other "salad toppings" that aren't that good for you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    this isn't a food myth, but it is truly ridiculous...

someone on here months ago was complaining about not losing weight, eating their exercise cals, etc and the reply was, "you have to wait at least a week for your bones to shrink" and then "you'll start losing real fast"...i had to read that entry 3 or 4 times before my brain even even realized how utterly stupid it was...

WTF