whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    -that red or blue m&ms cause cancer
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Well if you eat certain ones raw they are...believe it's kidney? (Ricin)

That wouldn't make "legumes" poisonous, anymore than the fact that some types of almonds are poisonous unless heated makes all nuts poisonous. There are legumes that you can eat strait off the plant.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    -that red or blue m&ms cause cancer

They do. You should only eat the green ones.

True story.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    "It's SO freaking easy to lose weight - just stop eating! if I wanted to, I could lose all the weight you need to lose in a month or two, tops! THREE months and I'd be in BADASS shape!" ---yes, that's actually verbatim, lmao

"Diet soda tastes just like the regular kind!"

"you're going to get cancer from eating steak and it will stay in your intestines for almost 20 years."

"Drinking Muscle Milk for your breakfast every day will make you fat AND bulky like a guy."

lmao... I giggled just typing these out!

Diet soda is nasty! The company my husband works for has soda fountains in the break rooms, and over the past six months they have been changing most of the flavors over to the diet version to promote a healthier work place. I think it's only working because no one wants to drink the nasty diet soda. He says that the two flavors that aren't diet run out all the time, they don't have that problem with the diet sodas.

If steak causes cancer I wonder how I'm still alive.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night takes the absorbed food and turns it directly into fat which is why you shouldn't eat after 7pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I really thought this was true.
  • amandadiamond90
    Options
    Ok worst I've ever heard was that kfc's chicken were fake. That they grew the test tube chickens in jars with no feet or feathers. I know gross, right. Totally not true
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Spunk is a good protein source

...Isn't it? :O
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!
    :huh:

Someone's been watching too much Iron Chef ( challeeeeenge....caul fat - pepper crunching sound...) ! :laugh: :wink:
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Carrots help you to see in the dark
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    strawberry licorice will make your hair grow faster
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine thought that all the white stuff on a newborn baby was LARD! Apparently if you eat a high fat diet when you're pregnant, your baby is born covered in lard!!

Someone's been watching too much Iron Chef ( challeeeeenge....caul fat - pepper crunching sound...) ! :laugh: :wink:
    Thanks, I hadn't met my vomiting quota for the year yet! Ugh...

Edit: the use of actual caul fat in Iron Chef wouldn't be surprising, but I'm more barfy over the idea of cooking with the baby-fluids mentioned...
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options

thats freaking gross but it cracked me up hahahaha
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    That Peanut butter is bad for you because it's full of fat

That fruit is bad for you because of the sugar

That you shouldn't eat after 6/7 pm
  • rhcopeland1
    Options
    Yes, LOVE this one! LOL
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I've always liked listening to people tell me that "eating before bedtime will make you gain weight!"

This isn't a food myth, per se, but I think it's ridiculous when people start spouting that "if you don't eat for four hours, your metabolism slows and you'll get fat!"
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options

That made me laugh so much!

This thread reminded me of this:

http://notalwaysright.com/fattening-fallacies/2036
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The underlying assumption that anything "natural" is healthy. (Reminder: Hemlock and cyanide are natural.)
    That this or that extreme diet is healthy (with the implication that it will work long-term).
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A co worked of mine is convinced that eating marshmallows is fine because there is no fat in them...

She's terrible.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Carrots help you to see in the dark

they do though
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    "Gluten free foods are much healthier" (coming from a friend who does not have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance).

I love it when people say going on a gluten free diet or dairy free diet will make you loose weight. I'm a coeliac so have no choice and have food intolerances to egg, dairy and soya. Guess what I still managed to put on 5 stone in the last 3 years. Its all those gluten free vegan chocolate cakes I've been eating and whole packets of gf biscuits. If you eat too much of anything you will put on weight.

Plus as my hubby says eating a gluten free diet can be healthy but it can also be an excuse to eat donner meat and chips 3 times a day.