TIME magazine and breast feeding a 4 year old

Options

Replies

• rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think it is sick. I have nothing against breast feeding but If the child is old enough to hold a sippie cup then it is too old to be breastfed. Sick sick people out there.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think the cover and the header are designed to get a heated reaction, and they did. The cover is terrible and not something they should have none on Mother's day as it's bound to promote arguments. I don't have and never will have kids ( so often I'm viewed as not having any right to an opinion on such matters) but I see nothing wrong in letting a child ween naturally, after all that's what breasts were originally designed for, we are mammals. Now I know some mother's cannot for one reason or another BF and that's fine too, at the end of the day as long as mum and baby are happy and being taken care of isn't that all that really matters. But like I said I am not a parent nor do I plan on being one, so maybe I'm wrong.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Controversy sells and though I've never personally received any negative attention over breastfeeding, which I did with my daughter, I can see how this particular representation would raise a lot of hackles. Breastfeeding needs better representation, not to have the extremes broadcast.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Great. Just what this country needs. Another reason to go after women. This cover is making a point, and if you were disgusted by it, then go tell it off a mountain.
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow! A lot of judgemental people on here who aren't even mothers yet! I have 6 children, all breastfed, at times the toddler would still want milk along with the newborn, but I managed. Hell, that's what breasts are for! I was guided by the child as to when they were ready to finish, the longest was 3 and a half years, the shortest 19 months. They have still managed to wallk and talk fine, and have even managed school ok. Who'd have thought it? Human milk for human babies; nature didn't invent bottles, just sayin.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding is great, I did it myself for only a few months. But just like some of us said it comes a point when it's time to wean a child from it. Yes, America has a way to sexualize everything but I simply saw it as a child being too big for breast feeding. I feel the same way when I see 3 or 4 year old in pull ups, or a 5 year old with a pacifier or a 8 year old sucking his/her thumb.
    How does this child act in public, does he pull at his mother's breast or lift her shirt? I've seen that done plenty of times. How will he adjust when he is in pre-school at age 4? I just don’t get it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well its none of anyone's business how long any woman chooses to breastfeed

I don't think anyone really cares how long women choose to breastfeed. That's up to them. I personally don't care. The responses from people who say "4 years is too long" are offering their own opinions based on how they raise their own kids, they're not saying "stop breastfeeding or I'm reporting you to CPS".

You're right, it isn't anyone's business... Until you make yourself a public figure and put your picture on the cover of a national periodical with your child sucking your breast.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Not gonna read through all the bickering and judging, but here's my take:

I am ALL for breastfeeding our babies whenever and wherever they are hungry. BUT. What happens when the child plastered on the front of this magazine is in middle school? Kids are MEAN at that age, and with the internet out there, all it takes is one person finding that picture and making the kid's life hell. I do not find anything offensive about breastfeeding. I find it offensive that something private and personal is being exploited to sell magazines.

I don't really care how other people choose to raise their children, as long as nobody is being hurt. But think about it this way: we were breastfed as babies. We don't have memories of actually nursing from our mothers' breasts...at least I don't. I DO remember things from when I was 3 and 4 years old though, and I have to think that having an actual memory of drinking from my mother's breast would be a really uncomfortable memory.

Additionally, from a nutritional standpoint, it's totally unnecessary. Mammals nurse their young until they are able to receive adequate nutrition from solid foods. Once a child (or puppy, or kitten, etc) is old enough to eat real solid food, there is no need for breast milk any longer, as they can now receive all necessary nutrients via food sources. So, in short, it is completely nutritionally UNNECESSARY to breastfeed a child once they are able to eat a diet completely consisting of solid food (not baby food, but actual food---so really, probably about 2 years old).

I'm not a fan of the whole "attachment parenting" thing, as it seems (totally just my opinion) to be more about the parents and not about the children (and can set a child up for a whole host of dependency issues), BUT as long as another person's kids are happy and healthy, totally not my place to judge. We all want to make the best decisions for our children, and there is no one "right" way to be a parent.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard another human say. Congratulations.

I'm just trying to get a rise out of you :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting all the posters who say something along the lines of "XX is too old. I don't have a problem with a mother giving her child breast milk, but If the kiddo wants the milk, put it in a cup/bottle/sippy." So the issue, for many, isn't that the mother is still lactating and the child still drinking, but the bothersome fact is that the milk comes from BREASTS. Newsflash. Milk from every mammal comes from tits/teats/breasts. That's just nature. Cows' milk comes from cow teats. Oh, but wait, cows' teats aren't sexualized by society and their biological purpose isn't sigmatized. When you think about it, which is weirder? A mother feeding her child milk that was biologically designed for that child and changes over time to meet the child's growing needs, or milk that was designed for a baby cow?

Do you know any people that latch their mouth onto a cow's tit to get milk?

^^^That's what I said...TWICE! But, apparently, no one read my comment because two different people have made that same ridiculous argument.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I personally find it disgusting-what are your thoughts?

In most countries children are breastfed until they wean themselves...usually around ages 3-4. This is not unusual or even discussed in those countries....it is just way of life. In American, breasts are not seen as life-giving, nutrient providers...they are seen as sexual objects. I don't fault you for your opinion. You are just a product of your society.

I nursed my daughter until she was around 15 months. After that I started feeling the presssure of people asking, when are you going to stop doing that already? I didn't let them make up my mind...we were both ready to move on. But I did feel the pressure...I am also a product of our society.

This.

Amazing how in a society that we're constantly badgered to be "accepting" that people are so judgmental about something natural. But say you don't support gays and OH MY GOD! YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON!

*I am pro-gay marriage, I just used it as an example.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I fully support breastfeeding, even beyond 2 years if mother and child desire. But the cover really is NOT about this at all. It was designed to shock.

The blurb says it talks about attachment parenting. But again, the picture is going for the shock, and its phrases ("are you mom enough?" "how far will some moms take it?") misrepresent what attachment parenting is. The cover is doing nothing to help people understand it.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm all for breastfeeding. But the picture is ridiculous.

BUMP
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Jeez, are you people NOT reading my entire post? I said it was MY opinion. I am entitled to it, and you don't have to like it. Furthermore, if reading a book makes you the know all authority, then we ALL are right! I was simply saying that I breastfed my kids until they were 6 months old, and they turned out just fine. I didn't have them in bed with me until they were 10 or anything like that and they are bonded with me. It worked for me. I just don't believe this woman is making the best choice for her child, I believe her motives are selfish.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This is what you people find disgusting??

Seriously people have nothing else to B**** about except whether they have the right to tell a Mother when she has to stop breastfeeding? You don't want to breastfeed a 3 yr old? Fine don't do it.

I worry about things like parents who don't feed their children and abuse them. I am certainly not going to criticize a parent for caring about her child even if its different from the way I do things. The longest I breastfed a child was just before she turned 2. She was a die hard and weening took longer with my youngest. I always was the type to breastfeed privately but I don't find it obscene to see a Mother breastfeed her child.

If I was to see a woman stop in the store and breastfeed her 7 yr old right there sure I may raise an eyebrow but shrug it off. Not my business. I do feel theres a way to be more discreet, but again, I guess I have lived through what real abuse is so this, along with other ignorant comments roll off my back.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Additionally, from a nutritional standpoint, it's totally unnecessary. Mammals nurse their young until they are able to receive adequate nutrition from solid foods. Once a child (or puppy, or kitten, etc) is old enough to eat real solid food, there is no need for breast milk any longer, as they can now receive all necessary nutrients via food sources. So, in short, it is completely nutritionally UNNECESSARY to breastfeed a child once they are able to eat a diet completely consisting of solid food (not baby food, but actual food---so really, probably about 2 years old).

There are a lot of organizations that tend to be authorities on the subject that disagree with what you stated.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think the cover and the header are designed to get a heated reaction, and they did.

The cover and header were designed to sell more copies so as to maximize ad revenue. "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

There's rarely anything in those tabloids worth reading, and TIME magazine is a shadow of what it one was as a periodical. They gotta generate lots of hate against something to keep them copies flying off the shelves.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The kid is 3, not 4.

thanks for the correction-even at 3 years old-its disgusting. Not breast feeding itself-just at that age and the cover was just disturbing.

Do you drink cow or goat milk? Eat cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream? Did you know that one theory about lactose intolerance is that if anyone stops consuming dairy products for a period of time they will become lactose intolerant because the human body is not supposed to consume milk beyond the 3 or 4, so by that theory a woman nursing her child to the age of 3 or 4 is biologically appropriate, but consuming the milk of another animail at any point in time is not. By those standards a persons decision to consume animal milk products could be described as disgusting.

I nursed my son to 16 months, but if he had remained allergic to cow's milk I would have continued to nurse him until 3 or 4. Even now at 2 1/2 I feel a lot of guilt when he gets sick because both of our immune systems were naturally stronger until the day he stopped nursing . . . it had so many physical and emotional benefits for both of us. Also, nursing to older ages is more common in some cultures than others, so why impose western standards and norms elsewhere in the world?
  • ashleymichaud
    ashleymichaud Posts: 119
    Options
    To everyone saying to just pump it and put it in a cup: I just have to say that pumping totally sucks. It's not as easy as that. I couldn't wait until I got to the point where I could go a whole day at work without pumping.

And as far as the whole "cow teet" argument goes, I don't think its about the child actually drinking directly from a cow. That would be a huge health hazard. Its about them drinking milk that is not at all designed for them.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I personally find it disgusting-what are your thoughts?

In most countries children are breastfed until they wean themselves...usually around ages 3-4. This is not unusual or even discussed in those countries....it is just way of life. In America, breasts are not seen as life-giving, nutrient providers...they are seen as sexual objects. I don't fault you for your opinion. You are just a product of your society.

I nursed my daughter until she was around 15 months. After that I started feeling the presssure of people asking, when are you going to stop doing that already? I didn't let them make up my mind...we were both ready to move on. But I did feel the pressure...I am also a product of our society.

Yupyup. Its so stigmatized (example, this thread), that women in America (and Canada, like me) are pressured to stop...

People say it's because kids know its a sexual thing (if you're 3 year old is sexualized, they're being exposed to the wrong things), and how embarrassed he'll be when he's older... But that's because people are making it a big deal. Its a natural thing that has a huge amount of health benefits for the child and their mother. The rest of the world knows it, but the most "scientifically advanced" area in the world is stunned by the breastfeeding mothers deciding to let their kids wean themselves...