after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options
DavetheHYNIC
DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
Last night I went out to a nice casual dining restaurant and the waitress was super slack. Now it was Monday night and not really busy at all. She only had three tables while I was there. On a couple of occasions I saw her chit chatting with a co worker and another time checking her cell phone. She took the order wrong, didn't come to ask did we need refills and I had to get up to get her attention to get my bill after we had finished cause it didn't look like she was coming back. At first I was going to give her my usual "poor service 10% tip" but I had an idea. I would leave her my usual 20% tip cause she probably had kids or a meth habit to support but I would also speak to her about her service. Well I pulled her to the side ,discussed the issues I had and said hopefully she would improve her quality of work. Well she started crying! I wasn't mean or derogatory I just pointed out what I didn't like. What do you do when you receive poor service? Was I wrong to address the server directly ?

Replies

• rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I would leave a small tip if the service was bad. However, I wouldn't tell the server directly.. but if it was as bad as you stated, I would tell the manager. I'd let them be the one to correct their waitstaff's behavior.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty generous tipper, but if the service is truly poor, I leave what I consider to be the minimum (15%)

If she started crying, I'd be pretty concerned that something else was bugging her, unless you were mean about it.

I'd wonder why you didn't tell a manager, though, instead of confronting her directly?
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As a restaurant manager and having been in the position of that girl I would like to be told, any feedback is good. I would still tip but lower than my usual however I had this discussion with a group of friends and a lot said they wouldn't tip at all (tipping is slightly less customary here in Australia)
  • JAPANFOXX
    JAPANFOXX Posts: 27
    Options
    No.. I think it was good advice.. I think!!! But from y ou Dave I wonder.l give feedback good and bad because I made a great living waiting tables 7to 900 a week... But it was because along the way customers gave me feedback... She crying now but maybe she will apply some of the advice..
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I tip low.
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty generous tipper, but if the service is truly poor, I leave what I consider to be the minimum (15%)

If she started crying, I'd be pretty concerned that something else was bugging her, unless you were mean about it.

I'd wonder why you didn't tell a manager, though, instead of confronting her directly?

I can't say I blame you not telling her manager. That would more than likely get her in a lot of trouble and it was probably quite effective going directly to the source of the issue
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would leave a small tip if the service was bad. However, I wouldn't tell the server directly.. but if it was as bad as you stated, I would tell the manager. I'd let them be the one to correct their waitstaff's behavior.
    Yes, this^

On the flip side, this weekend we had excellent service & tipped 50%. Also letting the staff know that we appreciated the fantastic service & delicious meal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I usually go with 10% for poor service too. It's just low enough for them to hopefully get the idea. I've never addressed the issue with a manager but it's not a bad idea. Someone needs to tell the waiter/waitress why they're not being tipped well and how they can improve their performance and income.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i, too, would have addressed it with the manager rather than the server.

Would you want random people telling you that you were doing a bad job?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Bad service? I don't tip.

Tips are earned...
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Should be happy with 10% , that's pretty good here.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I always leave the minimum. Waiters / waitresses make their money off of tips, and for all I know they could just be having a bad day.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a strong believer in capitalism and merit- or performance-based pay, so if a server does a crappy job, they deserve to get a crappy tip. I've started leaving a note to let them know it wasn't an oversight, and I'm not cheap - the lousy tip was because of their lousy performance. On the flip side, I tip well for above-average service. If I'm in a group and the grautuity is already added in, I'd tell the manager.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I never tip less than 20%, ever. Maybe because I was, at one point, a waitress?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    As a restaurant manager and having been in the position of that girl I would like to be told, any feedback is good. I would still tip but lower than my usual however I had this discussion with a group of friends and a lot said they wouldn't tip at all (tipping is slightly less customary here in Australia)

as a former waiter, i think i would prefer someone go to my manager, as he/she would have a better knowledge of me and my normal performance and could address me appropriately.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In this age, if you do, you are only reinforcing poor service.

If It's horrible, they get nothing but a complaints to ownership/management. If its just bad, 10% (there could be reasons why), if its OK, 15%, if its good 20%, if it outstanding 30%
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I tipped 25% the other day for excellent service. I've only ever tipped lower than 15% when the service was absolutely awful. You pay for a service. I'm sorry if you earn your wages via tips, you should be doing a better job if you know that's how you're making the majority of your money.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe skip the bill and give her just the tip.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    I always tip well because - been there done that. BUT if it is exceptionally poor service, and it has to be really bad - I leave a penney. that lets them know you didn't forget, that they suck. Unless they are so incredibly stupid and don't get it. The word TIP is actually an acronym To Insure Promp service. So if you don't live up to it, don't expect it.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I never tip less than 20%, ever. Maybe because I was, at one point, a waitress?

I was a waiter back in the day. What does that have to do with anything??