after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I waited tables and I generally start at 20% and adjust from there. average service I tip 20%, excellent service I leave 20%, poor service I leave 12-15%, very poor service I talk to the manager.
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER not leave a tip, no matter what. Tip low? Yes, but never under 10%. It's not "teaching anyone a lesson" to not tip, it's showing that you're in ignorant *kitten*. I guess a lot of you have never had to rely on tips to make a living (about 1/3 of our income is from my hubbys bartending job).
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If the place is slammed and they are working their tail off I am little more forgiving. But, if the place isn't that busy or the waiter/waitress is screwing off and I run outta beer it's all over ;)
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i dont tip squatttt ,. ill tip some advice to the manager if its really that bad & leave with an attitude lol . im horrible i kno . maybe that will teach them next time,.

Teach them what? Everyone has an off day now and then - don't you?

. to answer your question. yes i have off days. however i dont mix my personal with my work .. with a customer based job u may have a bad day but u still have to at least look like u are having a good day & treat your customers how they want to be treated. u have to earn your tip . i sure as hell dont sit around and text on my phone... that can get u fired among other things. messing up an order yeah sure ... but u have to make up for the slack to at least show people u care and value their business.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I always leave a good tip unless it's terrible service then I will leave the customary tip.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No... I will still tip because it is how a lot of servers earn their living but it will be a smaller amount than my usual. They are in the service industry so they should know what good customer service is...and they should know what they need to do to earn a good tip! If it is really bad service I will complain to management.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    i, too, would have addressed it with the manager rather than the server.

Would you want random people telling you that you were doing a bad job?

I would rather someone tell me than my boss definitely, especially if my job directly affected them and they just wanted to make me aware.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Last friday night husband and I went to one of our favorite places, and sat in the regular table so we would get the usual waitress, who has always been super cool, very friendly, and we always tip her very well. (25-30%)

We ordered drinks and sauteed mushrooms, to get started. As I was eating, I discovered a piece of wire in the mushrooms. I actually put it in my mouth, and had to fish it out. I wasn't harmed, just a little grossed out, but OK.

When our waitress came back to the table, we told her, very quietly, that there was accidentally a piece of wire in the mushrooms, not because we expected her to do anything, but just to tell the kitchen to be careful or whatever. We were discreet and we realize 100% that this was nothing the waitress did, or could have avoided in any way.

She told the manager, who came over and apologized to us, and let us know the mushrooms would be on the house. Oh, cool. Didn't even expect that, but a nice gesture, for sure.

Then our waitress disappeared. Well, she didn't disappear, she kept serving every table around us, but she didn't come back to us. I watched a man 6 feet away get seated, get his iced tea, drink enough to need a refill, get the refill, order his food, get his food, and finish it. She still hasn't come back to our table.

I keep trying to catch her eye, but she is not looking at us at all. Both my husband and my drink have been empty for a good 20 minutes, we have been wanting to order our actual meal forever now. Starving, and confused, we decide we are hitting Taco Bell.

So when she finally does come over (and begins with Can I fill up your water?) we said, we need the check, we gotta go.

The bill was $26 and change, we left $30. She has been serving us long enough to know it is not our customary tip. We were kind and gentle as we explained the issue with the mushrooms, and my husband even said quite clearly, 'hey we know this isn't your fault". It wasn't the wire that was the real problem. It was being ignored that finally sent me out the door.

What amount of tip was due to this waitress?
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    No tip! Or do what I did the other weekend and leave her a quarter, to call someone who cares :laugh:

I've actually left about 14 cents before...just enough to make a :(
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I leave a really low tip if the service was that bad. Around 10% is what I consider to be my "poor service" tip, but I have a range. If it was REALLY bad, I leave a penny if they were rude. I find a penny to be insulting so this has to be a worst-case scenario. I leave around 5% if they were just awful but not rude about it.
    I woudl tell the manager vs. the server. There may be other issues that need to be addressed along with the problems you were having that the manager is aware of. It allows them to handle it all at once.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    I used to be a waitress and their is a difference between "bad service" and "some one new on the job". You stated she was clearly ignoring you. I wouldn't have told her anything the tip speaks volumes, she would have got nothing, and wait staff depends on that cash money.:sad:
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a Business Manager myself, and if my customers don't tell me when something is wrong I won't know. So with that said, I speak up. Once the bill has been paid, and no there won't be a tip added or left be assured of that. I ask to see the manager of the place. When they approach me I gladly tell them the type of service I had and I assure them that I will give the place one more chance to show they are a good resturant but after that nothing doing. I do it after I pay so they understand I am not looking for a freebie...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Since I tip 20-25% for standard service, I'll typically drop it to 10-15% if I feel the service is bad. But on occasion I will give them no tip if it is extremely bad, such as they pretty much abandon our table and we have to ask random servers to get us stuff.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    honestly, i usually leave a 20% tip..if i really like the server Ill do 25% and if you are a terrible server I do 15%, which is very rare.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER not leave a tip, no matter what. Tip low? Yes, but never under 10%. It's not "teaching anyone a lesson" to not tip, it's showing that you're in ignorant *kitten*. I guess a lot of you have never had to rely on tips to make a living (about 1/3 of our income is from my hubbys bartending job).

maybe if the girl did her job she would have got a tip. im sure your "hubby" does his work well to be getting tips right ? thanks ... ill be the ignorant *kitten* ... she will still be the same girl with no tip. *shrugs*
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    bad-customer-service.jpg
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO, you dont tip if the service is that bad. A tip is for excellent service, not a reward for bad service. You do not bring your home problems to work EVER! Unless someone has been kidnapped, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or kid problems need to stay at home. If they are that serious, then she should stay at home. She needs to grow up.

Uhhh not in America. Here, a server's paycheck goes mostly to taxes and they make a living off of their tips. If service is bad, it's counterproductive to not tip - be an adult and talk to the server or their manager about the service.

I think this is true but only depending on the state...as someone said before some states servers make much less than minimum wage and rely on the tips to make up the difference...here in WA however servers make minimum $8.80 ish plus tips...so what does that $8.80 get you as the customer? My base salary pays me to provide customer service...I make more (commission) if I provide good customer service and sell products...

A server should be held to the same standard...for their base wage they should take your order, refill your drinks when they are empty, bring your food, and bring your check. However...if they go above and beyond...if they are friendly, attentive, etc. then they should make more (tips).

In a place like WA where a server makes minimum wage they technically shouldn't get a tip at all even for doing the bare minimum...but we tip because we're "supposed to". And while I still tip 20% on the bare minimum because I'm "supposed to" I'm never going to leave 20% for someone who's actually made my dining experience worse. At that point I would not only just round to the nearest dollar I would also talk to a manager.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I never "tip good", but I do tip well when it's merited. :flowerforyou:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    another thing-- if its REAL bad service-- leave a small tip and put it on a credit card-- that pisses the server off because not only are you giving a small tip- but now they have to declare it too. lol
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to remind everyone that in most states there are laws saying a waiter/waitress must earn the minimum wage in tips, otherwise their base wage of around 2-3$ will be upped to the minimum wage.

the waiter/waitress is going to make minimum wage regardless of how much you tip her. i wouldn't have left a large tip.

whenever i waitressed and ****ed up like that (and i did pretty often in the beginning) i wasn't surprised when i didn't get a good tip

From some random website, sorry for the capslock the author decided to use:

A TIP CREDIT is the total amount of tips an employer may count towards the total applicable minimum wage. The federal tip credit is $5.12. per hr. A employer is allowed to pay servers $2.13 because they are claiming servers will make at least $5.12 an hour in tips. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY YOU THE FULL MINIMUM WAGE . $2.13 + tips received(Tip credit) must= the full applicable minimum wage.

*Other states and cities have higher or lower tip credits. In Santa Fe, NM, for Example, where the full minimum wage is$9.85 employers take a higher tip credit. They are still allowed to pay servers $2.13 per hr but those servers must make $7.72 per hr in tips. If they don’t, the employer must reimburse them. Some states such as Virginia and New Jersey, allow employers under certain circumstances to take a full 100% tip credit. This means servers in these states may receive no hourly cash wage at all. States that prohibit the tip credit include: Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Servers who work in these states receive the same minimum wage as all other workers.