after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    yep.. i tip..and I still tip 20% .... i married a bartender...these are just the rules folks, everyone has a bad day!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I never tip less than 20%, ever. Maybe because I was, at one point, a waitress?

agreed
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would still tip but it would be lower. I think that's a gentle way of saying maybe something wasn't right. I'm not big on going to a manager because I've seen people get fired for little things and maybe they were just having a bad day or were new. A lower tip is just a gentle reminder to step it up but I don't want anyone getting fired for maybe having a bad day.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Truly horrendous, I still leave about a 10% tip. Kind of bad, 15%. Normally, 20%.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i dont tip squatttt ,. ill tip some advice to the manager if its really that bad & leave with an attitude lol . im horrible i kno . maybe that will teach them next time,.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tip well, but tip less for bad service. There was this one time that the service was bad, like really, really bad! I didn't tip at all!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I always try to leave a good tip, but if my waitress is like what you're talking about then I may possibly only leave 1 or 2 dollars. It happened to me recently also. I had a friend who left his waitress a $20 tip on a $50 bill and he realized later that the waitress had messed with his credit card receipt and added a 4 to the 50 making it a $450 bill and she pocketed the money. Luckily he noticed the bill on his credit card statement. He had left her a killer tip and she still screwed him over. I was a waitress for many years and I almost always leave a good tip, but I say give what they deserve. They shouldn't get a good tip for half *kitten* service.
  • amalthea23
    amalthea23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tip the minimum 15% if service is bad, but if it's good, I'll sometimes tip up to 30%.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think tipping is a bigger thing in the US, do you have minimum wage there?

In the UK I consider tipping to be earned by good service, i reaaly don't like it to be on the bill already. It can lead to bad service as they don't care because they will get the service tio regardless.

If the service is bad I won't tip.
    I probably would but low if I was in the US
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I tip 20% as an average. More if the service was amazing. Though I've had a very few times that the service was beyond bad, and I didn't tip.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If I get good service I tip 20% as a standard. If I get excellent service I tip 25% usually...sometimes more. If I get bad service? I usually leave the change to round up to the nearest dollar.

The worst I had was one night I went out with some friends to a restaurant...there were 10 of us....most of us ordered food. Most of us ordered alcohol...our bill was pretty large...our waitress was such a b**** that she ended up getting about $8 combined between all 10 of us...and $6 of it was from 1 person...That was on a bill that was somewhere around $200.

And the guy who tipped $6? I've watched him tip $30 on a $50 check multiple times. So if he's only tipping $6 there's definitely an issue...she could have ended that night with one hell of a tip...
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she was crying because you were rude in your "constructive" criticism? I am inferring this from your assumption that she had a meth habit. I really hope you were joking....:indifferent:

But yeah, for the most part, I've never tipped below 10%. I tip 10% for absolutely dreadful service. 20-25% is my norm.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I will leave about the same, most of the time..good or bad service. I also tell them if they have done a great job. Money is nice, but a word or two about how great they did thier job also goes a long way.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have waited tables and the poor tipping is just bad. These servers in some areas only make about 3.00 an hour plus tips. As far as the situation, I think it was a good decision. She now knows that maybe serving isn't her cup of tea. Telling a manager wouldn't have necessarily given her an opportunity to try and do better. :smile:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    i dont tip squatttt ,. ill tip some advice to the manager if its really that bad & leave with an attitude lol . im horrible i kno . maybe that will teach them next time,.

Teach them what? Everyone has an off day now and then - don't you?
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I tip depending on the service. anywhere from 10% for really sucky service to 30% for really good service. I haven't been to many places that warranted the high amount though. Usually I tip about 20% that's my usual. I always say something if my service is bad and I have been known to send food back several times for it not being to my specifications. My husband always cringes lol. If I'm paying for something, then it better be the way I want it. I'm sure I've had my food tampered with because of this but I try not to think about it. If someone is that petty then they should find another line of work. I would never intentionally do something to harm someone. I believe in giving great customer service and that's what I do on a daily basis at my job and expect that from others at their jobs.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only tip if the service is exceptional..
    Like if the kebab guy gets to your house in under 20 minutes..
    You let him keep the change.

Although tipping is different here in the UK than it is in america.
    When i went to new york i got a little pissy, when people who had offered me ****ty service expected me to give them anything other than the exact cost of the service.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    After having worked in a nightclub for 5 years, I am notorious for being a good tipper... if the service warrants it. I've tipped as much as 50% of a bar tab (or more). And usually with a restaurant ticket, I'm leaving 30% on average. I will even tip $5 at places that I go and do takeout from if they were prompt and courteous.

If the service is horrible, I MIGHT leave the minimum, if that. You can generally tell who is working for their tips and who doesnt.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I tip about 18% (multiply MI tax of 6% by 3). Thats just the norm that I go with when eating out.

However, there was an instance where a group of us friends went out to eat and "our" waitress just disappeared. We saw her but we kept waiting for service and refils on coffee etc but she just wouldn't come. This was at a place where we usually used to frequent so the waitress who have previously waited on us and knows us took over the other waitress chores and gave us the stuff we needed.

So when the bill came (brought to us by the bad waitress), we left 0 tip for her, walked up to the other waitress who did gave us the service even though it wasn't her table and gave her the tip in front of the bad waitress.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    poor service, low tip, ****ty service hell no.