after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think tipping is a bigger thing in the US, do you have minimum wage there?

In the UK I consider tipping to be earned by good service, i reaaly don't like it to be on the bill already. It can lead to bad service as they don't care because they will get the service tio regardless.

If the service is bad I won't tip.
    I probably would but low if I was in the US

We do have a min wage, but it's lower than standard for wait staff, since it is assumed that with good service they'll earn good tips. Both good and bad sides to that - good in that if you're a good waiter/waitress you can make more than someone who is mediocre. Bad in that if you get jerk customers, they might not tip well no matter what.

Just so some people are clear, some states have a minimum wage specifically for waitstaff, Some states have minimum wage all across the board.

Here in Washington State (Seattle) we have the highest minimum wage in the nation $9.04/hour, so the McDonald's worker is getting paid the same wage per hour as the person working at Kmart. So some people don't care if they get a tip or not.

A few weeks back I had a VERY rude bartender, I asked for the exact same drink I had the night before, and she said they didn't have it, I said "I was just here last night, it's on your table cards". Then she yelled at me for 5 minutes straight about how/why it was impossible for me to have had the drink I asked for. My friend was having a drink, and when we were done, we didn't leave a tip at all.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You helped her more than anything. Ignorance is bliss, that's why she was so heartbroken when you pointed out her error. THe bliss just DIED.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I judge accordingly, if the service sucks but the waiter/waitress seem to be genuinely sorry for whats going on behind the scenes then yes, a rude waiter/waitress even if the food is absolutely perfect will get the minimum.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Depends, there are off days, and they are "oh hey I'm a 16 year old on summer break who's more interested in flirting with the other wait-staff then actually doing my job"

I tipped 10% (I've NEVER done that.) The girl had the audacity to bring the manager over because she "deserved 15%". Its bad enough we had to get up to refill our own glasses, put all the plates on the ledge behind us, receive cold food. You're kidding me right?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    If I had that kind of service - very little tip if at all. Tips are earned. I will always be polite and respectful, because I understand this may or may not be their only job, however, it is your job to provide a service. If the service sucks, why should I reward you with money - only to reinforce the fact you dont have to do your job to get paid.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am a VERY good tipper - sometimes 100% tip at a bar, and 50% at a resturaunt. That being said for bad service I give the server the "STD" Standard Two Dollar... That tip is pretty much an insult in the service industry.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Wow. You guys still tip even if the service is poor?

I only tip if the service and meal is great.

Why would you tip poor service?

I don't even understand tipping.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bad waiter/waitress.......maybe it's because I'm not one of those people who feel that they have to kiss my *kitten* in order to get a good tip. I happen to be blessed with a fantastic personality...and believe me..it makes a big difference in the kind of service you get. Be kind..and you're likely to have a great time..and a great waitress.

Besides...you know when you're going to a place where the servers are tipped. If you're a selfish..bitter a$$ed person who's not likely to leave a tip....go to McDonalds instead.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The problem with leaving a "bad tip?" The waitress has no idea it's a bad one (unless of course it's ridiculously obvious such as a penny or $2 on a large bill). They don't know that you normally tip above average for decent service so how are they supposed to know that the standard 10% - 15% is actually a bad tip for you as a customer? Leaving a tip that may be a lower percentage for you, could be the same amount as an average amount from someone else so it means absolutely nothing and doesn't communicate to the waitstaff that you received poor service and are not satisfied. Leave an average tip and talk to the manager? Do you honestly think the waitress standing around texting and chatting with the other employees is going to give a crap what your experience was like if she's still getting her tip? Unless everyone makes it a practice to talk to the manager about a bad experience then a one-off complaint to the manager isn't going to mean as much. And let's face it, not every customer talks to the manager about their crappy service. You just get up ticked off and leave. My husband refuses to complain because by the time it gets to that point, he's just ticked and wants to leave before blowing up at someone. How many people here can honestly say they complain every time they receive bad service as opposed to just leaving what you consider to be a bad tip? Just remember that bad tip is what YOU consider to be bad but it may be average for someone else.

Edit to Add: Yes, everyone has bad days. But if you are not able to keep your personal issues from having an effect on your job then ask to go home or call in. You're there to do a job whatever the industry is. Why should you get paid to stand around and not do your job?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The problem with leaving a "bad tip?" The waitress has no idea it's a bad one (unless of course it's ridiculously obvious such as a penny or $2 on a large bill). They don't know that you normally tip above average for decent service so how are they supposed to know that the standard 10% - 15% is actually a bad tip for you as a customer? Leaving a tip that may be a lower percentage for you, could be the same amount as an average amount from someone else so it means absolutely nothing and doesn't communicate to the waitstaff that you received poor service and are not satisfied. Leave an average tip and talk to the manager? Do you honestly think the waitress standing around texting and chatting with the other employees is going to give a crap what your experience was like if she's still getting her tip? Unless everyone makes it a practice to talk to the manager about a bad experience then a one-off complaint to the manager isn't going to mean as much. And let's face it, not every customer talks to the manager about their crappy service. You just get up ticked off and leave. My husband refuses to complain because by the time it gets to that point, he's just ticked and wants to leave before blowing up at someone. How many people here can honestly say they complain every time they receive bad service as opposed to just leaving what you consider to be a bad tip? Just remember that bad tip is what YOU consider to be bad but it may be average for someone else.

That's why you also alert the manager in someway as well. We always alert the manager for either subpar service or stellar service.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

That's why you also alert the manager in someway as well. We always alert the manager for either subpar service or stellar service.

Great! But that's the point I was making in the rest of my post. Not everyone talks to the manager. Many people leave what they consider to be a bad tip and leave it at that. Unfortunately, I don't think that the majority of the population does what you do in talking to the manager.
  • jjringger
    jjringger Posts: 1
    Options
    Standard tip for me is 15-20%. I do not tip if I get terrible service on a slow night. I have notified the manager of the problem once or twice. On the other hand, I will tip up to 200% for truly outstanding service, and I always call the manager over in those cases :)
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've waited for tables for 7 years and it's my opinion that you have to EARN a bad tip. I leave 20% for good service, more for great service and I make sure to mention it to the server as well. Some people are in it for the money but I know it made me feel good when I got told that I did a good job as well. If you give me a bad service- you're getting a bad tip. End of story. And I don't mean 15%. I mean noticeable. If they choose to believe I'm a nasty person and that they did NOTHING wrong...that's their issue. Let me say it takes a LOT to get a bad tip out of me. I mean you pretty much have to spill my drink on me and not apologize, spit in my food, ignore me, and hit on my boyfriend to get a tip like that. But in my eyes...there's no excuse for NO tip. Becuase you never know how that tip is shared. That's just my 2 cents... :drinker:
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

That said, if I notice another patron behaving inappropriately, I'll give the manager another perspective. I was at one place where a patron was ripping on the waitress for putting whipped cream on the chocolate chip pancakes (yep, they're supposed to come that way, always do at this place). The waitress IMMEDIATELY apologized and offered a fresh order, and the customer went on and on and then complained LOUDLY to the manager about how incompetent and rude the waitress was. You bet I flagged down the manager and told him what I saw.

Good for you! Sometimes...it really is the customer that sucks (gasp!)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you can afford to go out to dinner, you can afford to leave a decent tip.

Don't like it? Eat at home.

I'm sorry, but if you don't like your job as a server, then find a new job (perferably one that doesn't require interpersonal interaction)... don't take whatever personal problems you are having that day out on innocent costumers... Yes, there are going to be jerks that don't tip properly... but on the same token, there are people that do actually want to tip properly and perhaps above and beyond what is normal... however, if you are doing a half *kitten* job for any other reason other than being new (and even then it's a stretch), then you really don't deserve a tip.

Like I said before, my husband and I have been known to tip on the upwards of 50%.... but a server won't get that if they are being rude, have a bad attitude, don't inform us on what is going on, etc.

Part of your job is to make our experience at your restaurant pleasurable... it's not pleasurable if we have to ask another server to refill our drinks or to find our order.

I'm not even a server, I'm an accountant, but even I know that not tipping doesn't solve anything - no other service allows the patron to get that service for free and then decide afterward whether or not they want to pay for it. Would you eat a whole meal and then not pay for it because you didn't like it? Wouldn't the smarter thing to do be to right the problem at the beginning so that in the end, everyone wins? Tipping badly does nothing but frustrate the server and never actually gets you better service. The whole experience could wind up pleasant for all parties involved.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you can afford to go out to dinner, you can afford to leave a decent tip.

I'm sorry, but if you don't like your job as a server, then find a new job (perferably one that doesn't require interpersonal interaction)... don't take whatever personal problems you are having that day out on innocent costumers... Yes, there are going to be jerks that don't tip properly... but on the same token, there are people that do actually want to tip properly and perhaps above and beyond what is normal... however, if you are doing a half *kitten* job for any other reason other than being new (and even then it's a stretch), then you really don't deserve a tip.

Like I said before, my husband and I have been known to tip on the upwards of 50%.... but a server won't get that if they are being rude, have a bad attitude, don't inform us on what is going on, etc.

Part of your job is to make our experience at your restaurant pleasurable... it's not pleasurable if we have to ask another server to refill our drinks or to find our order.

I'm not even a server, I'm an accountant, but even I know that not tipping doesn't solve anything - no other service allows the patron to get that service for free and then decide afterward whether or not they want to pay for it. Would you eat a whole meal and then not pay for it because you didn't like it? Wouldn't the smarter thing to do be to right the problem at the beginning so that in the end, everyone wins? Tipping badly does nothing but frustrate the server and never actually gets you better service. The whole experience could wind up pleasant for all parties involved.

I find overseas so crazy for this reason - are waiters and waitresses not paid other than the tip?
    Here in NZ - almost noone tips, only for outstanding service and only usually when the customer is overseas haha. Also, most places I've worked, because tips were so rare, they would get put in a group tip jar and at the end of the year get split evenly between wait staff for xmas.
  • Jaeliyah
    Jaeliyah Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a black woman, and I hate to just leave a bad tip because I want the server to know I have reasons for it and not just chalk it up to stereotype, so I leave a note on the receipt explaining why I left a bad tip. But it's kind of like telling because the manager on duty sees it at the end of the night.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS give at least 10% because that much is added as income to their paycheck regardless of them making it or not. That's how it is in IL, at Applebees, anyway. If I get good service, I tip up to 20%+.
    It sounds to me like she was upset about something and on the verge of having a breakdown. I feel sorry for the girl. Sometimes we have to remember that we are all human and we are all experiencing life, sometimes not in a good way. I try to tell myself that when I think someone is acting in a way they 'shouldn't' be. That also applies to people who are driving like an idiot. You just don't know what's really going on in their life.
    If someone is purposely being a moron, I would contact the manager.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would leave a small tip if the service was bad. However, I wouldn't tell the server directly.. but if it was as bad as you stated, I would tell the manager. I'd let them be the one to correct their waitstaff's behavior.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I'm a server. I had a guy call me out once in front of his dinner companions for poor service and it was honestly really embarrassing. I'd have rather heard it from my boss, who would have delivered the message in a more constructive way.

If I get a bad server, I just tip 15% instead of 20%.

Do bad tippers annoy you? My mother is a notoriously stingy tipper, usually leaving just a few dollars, about 5% or so.

When out to dinner with her I've often thrown extra money on the table when she walks away towards the door, if she was the one paying for the meal.

I get soooo embarrassed when I go out with friends or my grandma and they tip low. With my friends, I'll leave a bigger tip to compensate!

Agreed.
  • retriev00
    retriev00 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not as much