Do you belong to MFP secretly?

Options

Replies

• monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started doing this together, but I kept it a secret to everyone else for the first 3 months. Unfortunately, we filed for divorce in January and a lot of people started noticing in February that I had shed pounds. I have had to reassure them that I started this before getting divorced and that I am making minor changes.

Personally, I don't think a lot of people believe me, but I could care less. I wanted to keep working at the goal of being healthier, that I have had for years, but never really started at it. This also gave me something positive to work on in the sea of darkness.

I have to say that with all of the turbulence, I added a secondary goal that I have had since college, and that is to run a marathon. As if it was meant to be, there is one on my 32nd birthday, near by, that I have plucked down the registration money for and in mid-June I start the 16 weeks of training for.

The weirdest thing that started this week is that I am starting to hear the... 'You're fine, you're already skinny enough', etc. Which is weird. I really want to get to my goal weight (as advised by my doctor) so that I can level out and stop hearing this. I also figured that 175 would be a good marathon running weight for a 6'1", male.

Oh, last thought: I have told those who ask what I am doing and I show them the app on the phone and how the database has a ton of food in it that makes tracking easy. So far, I am unaware of anyone else signing up.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's astonishing how many of you have negative and unsupportive families. I'm thankful that almost everyone I know is rooting me on.

I think this every time I'm in the forums! I'm so grateful to be blessed.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Most of the people I know WISH I would keep it to myself.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    I don't tell my friends because they're pretty judgey about calorie counting. But my boyfriend knows and supports me! So its all good
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yes, i never told anyone :( and my familly have no idea what i'm going through :'(
  • Meganosborn1988
    Meganosborn1988 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to recruit all my friends and family to join with me! Reason - accountability! Plus it's helped me so much, I want everyone else to reap the benefits as well :)

YES ACCOUNTABILITY! I have had my friends join and it motivates me that they are seeing my progress!
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options

hahahah! I'm sure people get sick of me!
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    when i first started no one knew. but then when i was whipping my phone out at every meal to log it became kind of obvious. haha.
    my immediate family knows about it and has no problem with me logging, etc, as they have seen my results.
    my friends know i use the site to track my food/exercise, but i dont usually log in front of them or anything.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My husband knows I speak to people on a forum about exercise and healthy diet stuff- thats all though
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options
    My husband does know that I use MFP to log calories and exercise but he does not know that it is a social network for people changing their lifestyles my mother on the other hand knows and so do my kids. Guess I haven't told husband yet cause he didn't like when I had a myspace or a facebook but I will not stay away from MFP its working for me the other sites fb and myspace didn't do nothing but cause dumb problems. So he knows just doesn't know its a social
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

hahahah! I'm sure people get sick of me!

I tell everybody that will listen...
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend definitely knows I am on MFP...he actually complains that I'm on it all the time. haha!

My husand knows and complained the other night that I was on here for a while too haha.
    I'm pretty sure I've told my mom and sister and who ever else I'm close with. I don't have a reason to hide it. If anything it lets them know I'm trying to lose weight, so don't offer me crap when we go out! lol
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It was something I was suggested to join by my trainer, so my trainer and gym friends know I use it. My husband also joined for a while, but he's completely fallen off the wagon in regards to tracking.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My partner knows, but none of my friends (except for one who's on here) know. If they knew, they'd just keep accusing me of being anorexic (which I am most definitely not). Yeah, good friends, huh? Hahaha.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I tell people about MFP, but I would not be there friend on MFP. It's too personal.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My wife knows, but my girlfriend doesn't .

LOL!
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I don't advertise I'm on here either. My husband and coworker joined when they saw how it was working for me and my neighbor and I were comparing calorie counting lifestyles and realized we were both on MFP. I am not ashamed, since it is working for me, it just doesn't come up in conversation.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a closet MFP-er. I can't even bring myself to post a real pic -- what if someone out there knows me??!!

I haven't told a sole that I'm using MFP. Just waiting for them to notice the changes. As of now, people seem to realize that I'm exercising more and I'm getting compliments that I'm looking better/toner etc. Nobody really knows that I'm "dieting" though, except my wonderful friends on MFP !!
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Everybody & their Grandma knows I'm on MFP!!! I could be the spokesperson for this website... I am constantly talking about it, constantly reading the forums, I am consistently logging.. I've gotten a few people to sign up that had never even heard of the website. I LOVE MFP & it is no secret! :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone! Mostly because I want to share what an AWESOME thing MFP is

This. ^ ^ ^ :)