Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Booze, take-out, and happy pounds.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Depression, 4 miscarriages and 6 pregnancies.Yikes!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You know how people feel full and stop eating? Yeah, I didn't do that.

Too funny!! Yep, I didn't do that either (the stop eating part).
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    gluten got me! Apparently my Celiac's Disease was activated by my first pregnancy. I could never stop starving. I am talking my stomach was growling and my hair fell out due to lack of nutrition. All the food was stored as fat as my body had no idea what to do with it. I thought it was depression/birth control/lack of will power/etc. After more symptoms presented during my second pregnancy, they thought I had colon cancer. 2 yr later, no cancer but a nurse figured out that it was Celiac's. We took gluten out of my life and BAM! Energy, depression cloud faded away, will power and my sanity returned. That stuff is my kryptonite.

Now I am slowly but surely changing my life for the better. I completed 2 5Ks in the last 3 months and am working on portion control. One day at a time and I will recover.
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Stopped playing sports after college, but still ate like I was in season.

^^YES!!! We need to be friends!! Having kids didn't help either!
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    "Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!"

Ugh this. Depo is evil.

And also the booze and fast food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eating. in college i was an athlete and had to eat ridiculous amounts of calories to maintain my weight for the sport i played. after college i got sedentary jobs but kept eating like i was she-hulk :laugh: the only reason why i was *only* 80 pounds overweight instead of 160 was because i've always kept somewhat active. instead of training several hours a day, it was several hours a week
  • Silveree36
    Silveree36 Posts: 4
    Options
    Depression, hospitalisation and medication : ((
    Gained 2 stone and 5 weeks , alwas had food issues but can't shift that 2 stone : ((
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Starting dating my fiance. We went out on dates and ate really good food and drank a lot of really good wine. My free time was spent with him instead of going to the gym.

Now that we're engaged and he's moved in and I see him all the time, I don't feel guilty for taking time out for me to go running. I'm also cooking a lot more and we're eating healthier meals at home instead of going out so much.

I still drink my really good wine though...
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    gained 40 lbs from office job and being on prednisone for my UC.
  • nylitak
    nylitak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Booze and Taco Bell!
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Started as a child. I never lost my baby fat lol. My mom would give us junk food. We lived in sort of stressful circumstances and I probably turned to food for comfort. I was also athletic though. I played sports and spent a lot of time outside. In grade school I got a hairline fracture in my knee and then eventually shattered my knee which had me pretty much bedridden for almost a year. Couldn't work out, gained a lot of weight. I also spent a lot of high school eating fast food basically every night and didn't work out. I really blame no one but myself.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!

Oh my goodness YES, I know the feeling!

This makes me nervous! I'm about to switch birth control and I don't wanna gain weight. But I kinda heard that that's a myth. Are the hormones just giving you cravings to eat more or is it just the birth control itself that makes your weight go up?

Depo and implanon are both progestin based birth control. Depending on your estrogen and progestrone levels, this might throw your hormones out of whack in a bad way. I don't even want to go into some of the gross side effects I had on implanon. There are low hormone options available, like seasonique, or non hormonal, like paraguard. Talk to your OB about your options

I'm another one that gained weight on BCP, I had been on Orthocept, a low-dose one and didn't gain weight (ok only my boobs gained weight). I was always a really skinny person.
    I got off the pill for a few years, and the boobs stayed, then I got back on, but was given the 'newest best pill on the market' Ortho-Tri-Cyclene (a fluctuation high dose type), I couldn't hold food/water down, I was hot and sweaty, dizzy, nauseous, cranky, depressed, and the doctor just said, "hang in there for 3 months for your body to get used to it" so I practically didn't eat for 3 months. I would eat crackers and throw them up within 20 minutes. Finally my side effects went away, and whatever I ate, my body just held onto it, so in a month, I gained 30 lbs. Literally, I was buying new pants every week. It didn't help that I was working at the mall and the only options were fast food. I did get a lot of exercise, I walked and took the bus everywhere, but I just kept gaining weight.

Since I was so fat, the doctor said I needed to stay on the higher dose pill, I wasn't skinny enough for the low-dose pill.
    I stayed on the pill for 10+ years (I did switch brands and types several times), and was never able to lose weight, and it kept creeping up.

finally I decided to quit the pill, and I dropped 10 lbs right away, and now that I have been off for 2½ years, I realize that I don't feel so 'puffy' or sluggish, I don't crave food, my body tells me 'enough food!'. now I'm down 20 lbs since I quit the pill, and trying to lose the rest of the weight. I just want to lose 20 more pounds, and I'll be happy.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    From overeating, depression, two pregnancies in which I overdid eating for two, and also taking Prednisone and Lyrica did not help at all. Oh and tearing my ACL and sitting around eating the whole time didn't help either.
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    depression caused by the pressure from my mom as a child to be thin (no one will ever marry you if your fat like you are, you will never make anything of yourself unless you are pretty...etc) then lost weight in college then after college i worked 4 jobs 72+ hours a week and a bad diet.....
  • Stoonloveskeith
    Stoonloveskeith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    From being bullied for a good 8 years in Grade school and moving to a big city with fast food...
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    You know how people feel full and stop eating? Yeah, I didn't do that.
    LOL. you make me laugh. Yeah I am like that too.
  • Shakila87
    Shakila87 Posts: 70
    Options
    you can do it!!!
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    Eatting out, and drinking wine every night. Not being active enough!!
  • SydneysMom0724
    Options
    My family eats way too much of the conveinence type foods and we eat out WAY too much. UGH!! It's just so easy to stop by Chik Fil A or get some yummy appetizers from Chili's...but too much of those type of foods is what's shortening my life. I have a family to set an example for. Must stop this thoughtless eating pattern!