How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was always bigger but Senior year in high school I gain a lot and then after high school I gained even more. Moved out, got married, had a crazy job working all hours, not eating healthy and not being active. Then got divorced, depression. It's time for me and to get myself back to were I'm happy
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    For me it was when I started thinking I was too grown up for such childish things as playing so I had zero activity and I still lived with my parents at that time and my mom cooks really good food but it's almost always fried....didn't take long for the pounds to start piling on. Finally I decided to get it under control, joined Weight Watchers and started walking and lost what I wanted to lose. I kept it off for a couple years and then I got pregnant and seemed to think that was an excuse to eat anything I wanted again and quickly gained all that I had lost plus a whole lot more. So that's what I'm working on losing now.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In college. I ate CONSTANTLY. The worst food imaginable.
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    2 pregnancies within 2 years and not eating well or exercising during either. Eating crap because I was tired, and eating that way made me more tired...talk about a cycle! I used my kids as an excuse why I couldn't get in shape. But now, I am SO ready to be the "skinny/in shape" mommy!
    *if* I were to get pregnant again, there is NO way I am gonna eat the way I did before. Wish I could tell every preggo out there not to do what I did!!:)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Part of me wants to say it's all my fault, but I do place some of the blame with my parents. From day one, my mother always "shoved" food at me & my sisters to keep us quite and behaved.

"Here have some cookies, now go watch tv and leave me alone".

Because of this, I turned to food as my comfort. My mother "tried" to do her best, as her mother was apparently a crappy mom and this is how she grew up (Only met Mom's mom twice and neither was a long visit).

As I grew older, it got worse and so did it, coupled with medical issues (I can say I let become an excuse in middle & high school) & serious depression/mental issues, i turned to the one thing that brought me any comfort food.

I understand this now, I do try to stop it when it triggers, but 35 years of learned habit is hard to break. But I will do it!
  • PurpleCoookie
    PurpleCoookie Posts: 334
    Options
    I ate too much and didn't worked out. I gained the freshman 30 later on lol
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    40 years of eating and being sedentary.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and being lazy....

^^^^This!
  • journeytocaitlin
    journeytocaitlin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!

Oh my goodness YES, I know the feeling!

This makes me nervous! I'm about to switch birth control and I don't wanna gain weight. But I kinda heard that that's a myth. Are the hormones just giving you cravings to eat more or is it just the birth control itself that makes your weight go up?
  • theonlysheesha
    theonlysheesha Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't remember I have just been over weight through most of my life. I was a chubby child since i was 7 or 8 and have been a big girl since. And now is the time I am changing it for good.
  • Brevans04
    Brevans04 Posts: 18
    Options
    Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!

This makes me nervous! I'm about to switch birth control and I don't wanna gain weight. But I kinda heard that that's a myth. Are the hormones just giving you cravings to eat more or is it just the birth control itself that makes your weight go up?

Its the hormones that make it harder to lose weight, when your body is fed extra hormones and doesnt ovulate its mimicking when youre pregnant and need that extra weight for a baby. Yes, for some people it makes you hungrier but for most the way is just harder to move. I would say to go with something that is light in hormones - ie. a lighter dose of the pill or an IUD like I have. Its the only thing that hasnt made me gain. I have an implanon.

I gained my weight - well put a few pounds on, when my fiance stopped traveling with a race team and I started cooking every night for him, and working longer hours at my job so I "couldnt" find time for the gym. After I put 15 pounds that I swore I was going to lose before summer (this is in Jan of 2011) I found out I was pregnant and gained another 35 putting me at my heaviest of 180!! And this time around getting it off my hips and pouch area is hard work. But Im down to 150ish!! with 10 pounds to go!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If I eat what whatever I want with no exercise, I wind up naturally overweight, but not obese.

After college, it creeped up due to a desk job. An inch around the waist every few years adds up. 31, 32, 34, 36, 38... oh my these 38's are tight...

I never really thought much of it since it went on so slowly, and I didn't think I looked "fat" in clothes. No huge gut, since I gain pretty evenly all over. But I did hit the low end of obesity.
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a little over a year ago and packed on 40-50 lbs, not sure exactly how much because I did not weigh myself regularly. But the good out weighed the bad, I figured after I had quit for a while I would then lose the weight! So now in January I started my weight loss journey.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Working a full time job, earning a second degree at night/weekends turning 35. I stopped running and working out. School and work just took too much time. Every time I worked out I thought I should study. Horrible cycle. Still no excuse. But my reason. Never been this overweight in my life prior to the last two years.
  • journeytocaitlin
    journeytocaitlin Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Its the hormones that make it harder to lose weight, when your body is fed extra hormones and doesnt ovulate its mimicking when youre pregnant and need that extra weight for a baby. Yes, for some people it makes you hungrier but for most the way is just harder to move. I would say to go with something that is light in hormones - ie. a lighter dose of the pill or an IUD like I have. Its the only thing that hasnt made me gain. I have an implanon.

I gained my weight - well put a few pounds on, when my fiance stopped traveling with a race team and I started cooking every night for him, and working longer hours at my job so I "couldnt" find time for the gym. After I put 15 pounds that I swore I was going to lose before summer (this is in Jan of 2011) I found out I was pregnant and gained another 35 putting me at my heaviest of 180!! And this time around getting it off my hips and pouch area is hard work. But Im down to 150ish!! with 10 pounds to go!

I guess I don't know what to believe yet since pretty much everywhere I research says that the pill is not responsible for weight gain, but it's the increase in appetite...but then there's still women who swear it's just the pill itself. So who knows! But I didn't gain weight when I first started the pill a few months ago(had loads of other side effects like vomitting the first two days and mood swings simply because my hormones have never been altered before). I'm just not gonna let myself think I'll gain weight...I'm gonna stick to what I've been doing and keep shredding and not let a pill get in the way! :)
  • ahhmanda08
    ahhmanda08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    while I was prego I gained an extra 60 pounds:angry: i ate everything insight!

after I had dom I only got back down to 163 then I got depressed:sad: and started drinking 5-6 cans of dr.peper and just let my self go.
  • Shollin243
    Shollin243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a child I was thin and active. I lived in an urban area and my parents decided to move me to a rural area even though I didn't like it. I never adjusted, and long story short I turned to food and gained a lot of weight. I went to college and started to lose and lost 100 pounds. I then got a desk job I hated and gained 150 pounds. I've lost 100 pounds and gained 100 pounds.
  • SmallTownSweetie03
    Options
    Birth control, 2 kids, bad eating habits, drinking an extra 2500 calories a day in soda and Starbucks, being lonely as a stay at home mom with a military husband who was never home and didn't pay much attention to me when he was (I lost a quick 225 pounds when I divorced him 2 months ago! lol) There were lots of factors in my life, but none of them are good excuses for being 60-80 pounds overweight anymore!
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    My dad passing away when I was in college turned the freshman 15 into the sophomore 50. :(
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Food - Overeating...just a bit each day...and there I was in a size 14!

Add to that I can bake a mean cookie...and then I eat them :happy: