How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I really don't know. I've been fat all my life. I think I just gained it gradually throughout childhood/puberty/teenage years/college years, eating all the bad stuff, not paying attention to what i ate, eating A LOT and not exercising.

ugh.

before i started on MFP i was about 30 lbs. heavier, and that was a combination of birth control pills, anti-depression pills, anti-anxiety pills, college (pizza, and drinking...) so glad i don't take all those meds anymore and can control my anxiety without medication (thank you Lucinda Basset).....but still taking the BC but it doesn't make me gain :)
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    One calorie over maintenance.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    Birth control (I will NEVER touch a hormonal contraceptive again), and then pregnancy (once I'd stopped the birth control, I hasten to add!)

I really believe that stuff that mucks with your hormones if you have no underlying hormonal issues that need fixing it Not A Good Thing now, and really regret the decade or so I spent on various contraceptives.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Kids - I kept 10 lbs with each one and didn't work hard enough to get it off.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It all started after I turned 35....
  • CanadianCait
    Options
    Medications from mental illnesses caused me to gain 40 pounds within 3 years as well as thyroid problems. Doesn't help that I drink beer.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    preeclampsia and depo provera!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Calorie IN > Calorie OUT
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Emma is in a Complicated Relationship with Food.

:drinker:
  • skaywilson
    skaywilson Posts: 1
    Options
    Eating too much!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Eating like a fat chick.
  • jesscarows
    jesscarows Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    2 pregnancies + lack of motivation + poor self control = my weight gain
  • tdismydog
    tdismydog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    eating to much and being lazy
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Stress primarily from family issues and not holding myself accountable. Letting people make me feel bad about things in life that weren't my responsibility, but I took them on. All that is over now and I'm holding myself accountable.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Giving in to pregnancy cravings made me gain the weight, and then laziness paired with love of beer helped me keep a lot of it...
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    ten pounds stuck with me after my second child

ten pounds gained over marriage

ten more pounds during divorce

----lost twenty rapidly over a five month span

gained twenty five even more rapidly in three months when i went to a personal trainer to put me on a higher calorie diet than i was used to to "gain muscle"
  • selfofsteam
    Options
    BINGEING for 3 months straight \m/ fun stuff.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    PCOS issues from my teens..Have been heavy my entire life pretty much.
  • rmh2280
    rmh2280 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gained my weight predominately due to my health condition, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). I don't think I have ever truly been my proper weight, especially not since very early childhood years, but did not know that I was insulin resistant and that my body was not processing carbohydrates correctly until 2006 (26 years old). By that time, I was almost at my highest weight. I have never been small, not even in my grade school years, but between 1997 and 2006, I had several years where I would gain 30 to 40 pounds over the course of a year, without eating horribly. The only years that I did not do that were the ones in which I worked out at least semi-regularly or was going to a gym and doing strength training. My lowest adult weight was in 2003 (229), but by when I stopped being able to work out because of my work schedule, I gained 45 pounds in a year. Then another 10 the next year. 30 the year after that and so on until I topped out at 357 pounds. I wish I had been treating my health condition back in 2003. At least then, I would have only had about 60 pounds to lose as opposed to 187.:frown: I'm getting it together though and am almost at my halfway point.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat 2-3 times per week, snacked like it was my job and barely worked out. Did this for 3-4 years and Boom gained weight!